Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 13:55   #46
BHPian

Re: And so starts the heavy hitting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Anyone know how to get the rear lower arm bush out. It is fixed in the subframe instead of the lower arm. Will need some kind of puller to get this one off. Thats going to be a tough one
Hope This Helps

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Mitsub...suspension.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-rearsuspension07-copy.jpg  

Old 17th February 2011, 20:16   #47
BHPian

Suspension!!

Here are some updates:

The front far side suspension and steering system work is almost complete. Managed to get the balance parts from here in Mumbai. Bump stops, shock absorbers. Got the upper arm bushes from Delhi

Here is the original bush stubbornly stuck in the sub frame. Took half a day to coax it out:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0220.jpg

Here it is finally out:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0219.jpg

Here you can look right into the front diff:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0216.jpg
Wish I had one of those ENT doctors camera probes. Could have looked right in

Here's Dom working on one of the lower arms:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0218.jpg

One of the bump stops. Original from new it looks like. Needed and got 4 of these. 450/- each

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0215.jpg

By this weekend the front suspension should be all done (provided we manage to get the subframe bush on the near side out quickly)

Then we go for the engine and electricals

@Cloudchaser: Thanks for the link. It was for a vehicle with coil spring set up though. Anyway, job done. Swing by the garage this weekend. Lots of action to be caught!!

Last edited by 53BHP : 17th February 2011 at 20:17.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 05:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know how to get the rear lower arm bush out. It is fixed in the subframe instead of the lower arm. Will need some kind of puller to get this one off. Thats going to be a tough one
)
This should help. I have most of the pdfs of the workshop manual. please let me know what else you need.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front suspension.pdf (267.2 KB, 1313 views)
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2011, 09:50   #49
BHPian

i have that pdf too. it does not tell you how to get it out. after 21 years it had dug it self in like a stubborn housing tenant. so finally it got butchered out as you can see from the pics.

please can you send me the pdf of the engine and electricals. thats the only one i dont have

tx

rohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
This should help. I have most of the pdfs of the workshop manual. please let me know what else you need.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2011, 10:26   #50
BHPian

Suspension Work Update!!

I am happy to say that the work on the far side suspension set up is now complete!!

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0223.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0224.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0225.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0226.jpg

Yesterday, again Saturday, we started work on the near side suspension. This time its looks like its going to be slightly easier. Experience from the far side suspension work helps most certainly. We took off the torsion bar first and went to bring down the whole lower arm set up at 1 go:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0221.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0228.jpg

Here is the whole lower arm assembly off. Now it will be easier to bench it and go for the hub internals and braking system
My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0229.jpg
Old 20th February 2011, 19:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
please can you send me the pdf of the engine and electricals. thats the only one i dont have
tx
rohit
See attached files for the engine and electrics.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine.pdf (1.24 MB, 2238 views)
File Type: pdf Engine electrical.pdf (680.1 KB, 2306 views)
File Type: pdf Engine Cooling.pdf (287.2 KB, 1447 views)
File Type: pdf Engine Lubrication.pdf (156.3 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: pdf Chassis electrical.pdf (1.26 MB, 1624 views)
Old 20th February 2011, 19:52   #52
BHPian

Re: Suspension Work Update!!

Quote:
I am happy to say that the work on the far side suspension set up is now complete!!
BTW if you need to replace the front dampers, you could use one off a bolero or an armada, i forget which but it was a straight fit.

Cheers,
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2011, 23:05   #53
BHPian

Re: Suspension Work Update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
BTW if you need to replace the front dampers, you could use one off a bolero or an armada, i forget which but it was a straight fit.

Cheers,
Hey

Thanks for the manuals. Will be a real help. Btw already changed the shocks on one side. Used Japanese after markets. Couldnt get a pair of Monroe afters. Dealer in Mumbaionly had 1 and the other would have taken time. Was keen to get the susp. back up quick so went with these replacements. Tried the Bolero shocks like you told me on the phone. They didnt fit unfortunately....

Cheers

R
Old 6th March 2011, 12:53   #54
BHPian

Some Updates

Its been a while since I have posted. Been a bit busy at work. Since we decided to pull the engine, I decided to get this done:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0241.jpg

Totally kicked at the results. Cost me 10,000/- including the cost of the chain block and associated tackle, the steel, the epoxy paint and labour. One of the most expensive parts was actually the anchor fasteners that I got from Hilti. 16mm chemical fasteners cost 250/- a pop. But you can be confident that the fasteners will only come out with the column it is fixed into

It is designed for a total load of 1200kg. So most engines should come out easily

Work Update

The front suspension work is complete and we have dropped the car down

Tomorrow we pull the engine. The radiator and some peripherals are already pulled. The radiator is Nalla and not in good shape. Planning to put in a new radiator and hoses:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0242.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0243.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0244.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0245.jpg

Helped Needed

I am up against 2 major hurdles now and I need your help:

Alternator

The currently installed alternator is out of a Tata Sierra and the pulley is capable of handling like a 10mm belt. The recommended belt is 17mm wide. So I have 5 options:

1. Buy a brand new alternator from my source in Japan, original, costing 44,000/-

2. Buy a second hand but original one from here for 8000/- and refurbish for about 4000/-

3. Buy a brand new replacement alternator from australia/uk/singapore/dubai for around 18000/- most probably made in Malaysia/China/Taiwan

4. Make a new and proper matching pulley keep the existing alternator

5. Any other Team BHPian solution

Turbocharger

My turbo is most likely not working. Infact I am pretty sure its not. Again I have 3 options:

1. Buy a new replacement turbocharger for 30,000/-

2. Buy a kit for 10,000/- and redo the existing turbo

3. Any other Team BHPian idea

In the first case I am inclined towards option 3 and in the second case towards option 1

What say guys (and girls?)

Last edited by 53BHP : 6th March 2011 at 13:18.
Old 7th March 2011, 21:58   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Some Updates

Neat build, Rohit. I can tell that you are having the time of your life.

Quote:
Buy a second hand but original one from here for 8000/- and refurbish for about 4000/-
An alternator is easy to overhaul. 12K is the sensible spend. Save some money on the alternator and spend on:

Quote:
Buy a new replacement turbocharger for 30,000/-
A Turbo is a far more complex part than the Alternator. On such a build, you are going to have to prioritise. Spend where it's really important (turbo) and save on the simple stuff (Alternator).

Maybe I & Ferdi can swing by some day and check your rebuild. Good luck man.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2011, 10:27   #56
BHPian

Re: My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread

Thanks GTO. Yes I am enjoyin this rebuild. With the Jeeps it was far easier as the parts were easily available thanks to Prakash and Ferdi

For this build the parts have been far more difficult to come by and I have made 2 trips to Delhi already to find the right parts (on different pretexts of course). Also the auto lock hub system though relatively simple is new to Steiger and me. We are both in awe of the suspension system of this car. I dont think we will be ever rebuilding the suspension again. Not for another 100,000kms at least

You and Ferdi are most welcome to swing by anytime. Ferdi I doubt. He doesnt have the time to wipe behind properly...

I had already decided on the refurbished alternator and new turbo. Now I am scratching my chin on whether to spend on an original MHI turbo for 30k or a generic replacement for 12k. I think you know where the money is going to go eventually
Old 11th March 2011, 14:45   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

53 BHP

Guess you already decided.

Had got the turbo kit changed twice in my TCIC Safari till I finally had to replace the turbo. The Pajero components though of better quality would I guess follow the same logic. In short the Turbo kit does not have a long life, and eventually (especially if your rev the engine a bit) one will require to replace the turbo (sooner rather than later). Suggest you get the turbo replaced for 30K. 12K seems good deal but it is a bit low for a comparable replacement so the quality would be a ?. Also does 30K include a new intercooler as well, if not and if you plan to use the current one, then do make sure that it is really well serviced, as defective intercoolers are know to have an impact on the Turbo. Have replaced the turbo of the Laura also twice (intercooler once) and in that case there is no option of a kit to repair it. Compared to the Laura turbo (original after market unit), 30K seems to be a good deal, though of course more expensive than the Safari Turbo.

Alternators are easier to repair had again for my safari and even the cielo got them overhauled / repaired lots of times, so getting an original but used unit refurbished would be the way to go. Of course a new units woul give pemanent peace of mind, but yet for this case refurbished somehow seems to be a better idea.

Last edited by ACM : 11th March 2011 at 14:51.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:58   #58
BHPian

Out she comes!!!

Dhantenan!!

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0258.jpg
Look Maa, No Engine

Today we finally got down to pulling the engine. Happy to say, the hoist performed perfect. The engine came out like a piece of cake. No drama

Here are the rest of the picks. Couldnt take more as I was on the engine bay when it was being chained out. One heavy mother of an engine I must say:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0250.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0251.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0252.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0253.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0254.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0255.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0257.jpg

Last edited by 53BHP : 11th March 2011 at 20:00.
53BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2011, 20:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since we decided to pull the engine,.....
Why?? I thought the engine was fine? Did something new come up that made u decide to redo the engine?

BTW that hoist is a great one!!

Quote:
Planning to put in a new radiator and hoses
Absolutely a must. Original is the way to go.

Quote:
Helped Needed

I am up against 2 major hurdles now and I need your help:

Alternator
1. Buy a brand new alternator from my source in Japan, original, costing 44,000/-

2. Buy a second hand but original one from here for 8000/- and refurbish for about 4000/-

3. Buy a brand new replacement alternator from australia/uk/singapore/dubai for around 18000/- most probably made in Malaysia/China/Taiwan

4. Make a new and proper matching pulley keep the existing alternator

5. Any other Team BHPian solution
Visit Pai AUto electric. Meet Ranjeet Singh the owner, who is called Paiji for some odd reason which even he does not know He might just have an excellent solution for you or even a new alternator with a dual offer. Straight buy and exchange with your old alternator which he will repair and sell. I would suggest you get it checked and if need be repaired from him. Ill come with you if you want to go to him.

Quote:
Turbocharger

My turbo is most likely not working. Infact I am pretty sure its not. Again I have 3 options:

1. Buy a new replacement turbocharger for 30,000/-

2. Buy a kit for 10,000/- and redo the existing turbo

3. Any other Team BHPian idea

In the first case I am inclined towards option 3 and in the second case towards option 1
I would also be inclined for option 3 but in this case its an old fog and maybe has hazaaar other issues too, just replace it. One thing though, how did you ascertain it is not working? First get that cleared.

You Vehicle's underbody is looking very very good. Im glad she is getting the treatment finally, what she should be. Im all eyes for this rebuild.
Old 11th March 2011, 20:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Why?? I thought the engine was fine? Did something new come up that made u decide to redo the engine?

BTW that hoist is a great one!!

GOGI JI, Pai is called Pai because in actual BHAI is badly pronounced by our mumbaikars thats why he also settled for PAI otherwise he is a clean shaven sardar with two sons BABLU AND RAJU both are in same feild, Gogi ji I know Pai ji since 1964 when I first met him with dynamo of my AMBASSADOR mark1 SAT SRI AKAL ,.........

Visit Pai AUto electric. Meet Ranjeet Singh the owner, who is called Paiji for some odd reason which even he does not know He might just have an excellent solution for you or even a new alternator with a dual offer. Straight buy and exchange with your old alternator which he will repair and sell. I would suggest you get it checked and if need be repaired from him. Ill come with you if you want to go to him.

I would also be inclined for option 3 but in this case its an old fog and maybe has hazaaar other issues too, just replace it. One thing though, how did you ascertain it is not working? First get that cleared.

You Vehicle's underbody is looking very very good. Im glad she is getting the treatment finally, what she should be. Im all eyes for this rebuild.
Gogi ji, Sat Sri Akal I know Pai ji fron 1964 Days when I first went to him for my Amby's Dyanamo work, he is vey hard working ,stammers a little bit but solution for all auto electricals available with him.

He goes abroad for info to latest technology .

He has two sons BABLU AND RAJU they are in same feild incli car AC.

Now why he is called PAI, actually he was called BHAI (brother ) in punjabi but our bombaiya bhasha bhai became pai and he settled for the same word PAI

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 11th March 2011 at 20:56.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed