Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 13:41   #31
BHPian

Re: My new (old) MM540

Posting update after 2 months. Tinkering is done. Now jeep is getting painted. Some WIP pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My new (old) MM540-img_7598.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7599.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7604.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7605.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7608.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7609.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7610.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7611.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7616.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7617.jpg  

Old 6th August 2011, 21:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

2 months since the last update and finally paint job is complete. Reason for so much delay was 2 prong -

(A) short delay - since last post ^ we decided to stop painting job, proceed to remove tub and scrub chassis and tinker tub bottom channels. This took hardly 2 weeks

(B) Loooong delay - painter lost focus and just ignored the jeeps presence which was sitting just before his iron shutter..!!

My new (old) MM540-img0195a.jpg

Now, electrical and mechanical and some minor fabrication is pending...
Old 9th August 2011, 11:00   #33
BHPian

Current status of the jeep. Some minor welding job is pending and jeep will be ready for electrical work.

@SVS Thanks a lot buddy. Without you it would have been very deficult for me to get the work done.
Attached Thumbnails
My new (old) MM540-imag0301.jpg  

Old 21st August 2011, 11:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Small joys of a DIY , Mohan buddy - i personally (drilled holes &) installed your rear stop lights, and whats with the front 540 design!! 3 sets of indicators in the front fenders/grill!! Anyways, All done...

Electricals enroute to completion. Just hang on a few dayz...

My new (old) MM540-img0225a.jpg

My new (old) MM540-img0226a.jpg

My new (old) MM540-img0228a.jpg

My new (old) MM540-img0229a.jpg

My new (old) MM540-img0230a.jpg

My new (old) MM540-img0231a.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:13   #35
BHPian

Work going on well Mohan. Santosh, is it a full harness kit?
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Work going on well Mohan. Santosh, is it a full harness kit?
Yes Madhu, it is a full harness kit. Electrician found that in some places wire length was short.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Updates:

1) wiring kit - pain with the earth wires. too few to work with, never ever get a ready made kit for a jeep or any other rebuild of a old vehicle.

2) mechanical - Oil flushed, radiator flushed, new oil, coolant mix, filters in place. Tappet and valve tuning done, FWH fit, suspended accel pedal drilled/fit, GB sealer (near ur feet) and the plastic sheid is in place, filled fuel and running like smooth butter!!

3) Footwear - this was a killer!! I had 3 old tubes, got 2 more, few punctures, yada yada, spent a lot!! - but finally your 5 brand new accelera 235/75/R15 AT tyres are on 5.5J OE CJ340 (my) rims with a proper tube with 30Psi and ready to go on your jeep!!

Whew, the end is inching near...
Old 5th September 2011, 13:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

DELIVERED @ Last

3-August-2011, Around 1600Hrs

Finally Mohans jeep is back in Bangalore. He came down on saturday morning for some last minute work on door beadings, garnish, window channels, door locks, etc. Minor rewiring of electrical, etc...

After all this, a much bigger technical problem emerged, that of the clutch plate...!! If you read the 1st few posts - while rebuilding the GB, the clutch plate was changed and nearly for 6 month it was idle in sun and rain!! The friction plate was stuck to pressure plate and just would not disengage the fly wheel to change gears!! Had a tense 10-15 mins until the head mechanic did his thing. Just started the 1 gear and the jeep started running away from us, then he jerked into 2nd without clutch and that momentum caused the clutch to come free and now it works fine.

Mohan did the drivers seat platform and some minor work should hopefully be done in a few weeks time - a DIY from Mohan himself...

My new (old) MM540-mohans.jpg
Old 5th September 2011, 22:22   #39
BHPian

Thanks for all help and support Santosh, me and Madhu owe you a lot. Should say got a great friend for lifetime.
It has been a great fun and learning for me while i building the jeep. Thank you to all T-BHPians who helped me a lot by answering my questions in the forum and over the phone. Santosh, Arka and Viji 's suggestions and answer to my queries were very important to me.

When we took out the jeep which started runnig on its own after a long time i requested Sidhu to test drive the jeep. Till Saturday i had not driven my jeep (any jeep for that matter). It was a great experience driving the jeep for the first time. Took few KMs drive to get adjusted to its steering and breaks. Within the few minutes Sidhu asked me to have a small off-roading to check the 4 wheel drive. I enjoyed it like a child who got his new toy after a long wait.

When we came back we observed a small oil leak behind the oil pressure gauge, mechanic tried to correct it but the leak is still there. I have to replace the hose.

My drive back to home was exhalent. I enjoyed every second and it reminded me the day when i brought my Bullet.

Reached home by 5:15 in the evening, trying to escape from angry wife and mother as i had told them that will return back before 12 noon. Their attention was not on me as we had few guests at home.

Sunday eveing was something i could not belive. First my Brother in law wanted to drive the jeep, followed by brother and the guess who -
MY WIFE. My son was asking for more after 6 rounds in the jeep in 1 hour.

Posting few pics of the jeep.
Sidhu took few photos and may be a video of my jeep and the mini off-roading i did for 5 mins. Waiting for him to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
My new (old) MM540-img_7649.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7652.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7655.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7657.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7658.jpg  

My new (old) MM540-img_7659.jpg  

Last edited by mohang_j : 5th September 2011 at 22:51.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Looking good Mohan... as I said this is not yet complete. I think Many minor completion points are pending, but things got so delayed and my priorities changed so much that I could not take it a logical completion.

I think the top of the list open things are...

1) Co-driver seat
2) Quick & simple (temp) soft top
3) Battery box/holder
4) Rubber mat for flooring
5) Some paint touch up in last minute weldings and tinkering works
6) Get a new wiper motor assy (I recomend a Auto rickshaw's assy)

Let me know if anything else is missing.
Old 6th September 2011, 17:49   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
=== while rebuilding the GB, the clutch plate was changed and nearly for 6 month it was idle in sun and rain!! The friction plate was stuck to pressure plate and just would not disengage the fly wheel to change gears!! Had a tense 10-15 mins until ===
If this happens next time try this

1) put the Jeep in gear while engine shut off > press the clutch pedal > try to crank the engine -- with a light foot on brake --- Note : do not give heater before doing this .

2 ) If the first thing doesn't work then start the engine in neutral > keep it running just over idle speed for about 10 minutes to gain ambient temperature > shut the engine off & try the first process again

do not shift gears without the clutch functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post

When we came back we observed a small oil leak behind the oil pressure gauge, mechanic tried to correct it but the leak is still there. I have to replace the hose.
check post # 4 here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...solutions.html

Check the third pic from top in that post , you can make similar plugs out of the old oil pressure pipe, keep them in the Jeep & this will help you or anyone on trail if the oil pressure pipe leaks .

Quote:

Sunday eveing was something i could not belive. First my Brother in law wanted to drive the jeep, followed by brother and the guess who -
MY WIFE. My son was asking for more after 6 rounds in the jeep in 1 hour.
This I call as the moment of truth , you are lucky you got it early . This surely gives a big relief to a man who has worked hard to build his Jeep

best of luck & carry on Jeeping for rest of your life

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 20:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Many minor completion points are pending,
I think the top of the list open things are..
1) Co-driver seat - On the job, completed one side frame just now

2) Quick & simple (temp) soft top - As of now a DIY job. Material procured already.

3) Battery box/holder - will do after the seat frame

4) Rubber mat for flooring - last in the priority

5) Some paint touch up in last minute weldings and tinkering works - could not find the exact colour, may need your help.

6) Get a new wiper motor assy - a new motor will cost about 2-3k. need to check the Auto rickshaw assy.

Today have brought the speedo cable and oil pressure hose. I will try to connect myself. If i fail to do will get it done in next visit to Hosur.

@ Sudarshan - This I call as the moment of truth
How true. Can not explain how am i feeling. Thank you for the kind words.

Last edited by mohang_j : 6th September 2011 at 20:54.
Old 7th September 2011, 06:15   #43
BHPian

Congrats on the rebuild Mohan and the Jeep is looking awesome! I can only imagine the excitement of your son!! Planning to go to sunday's OTR?
Wiper assembly: Choose correctly. Remember, that I too did not have a wiper blade or arm but the motor was fine? A local mech took a wiper arm from another old 540 lying in his workshop and fit it. It was working fine but the travel was too much (we had fit only the driver side and too much power I guess) and a few days back it just flew off the Hosur Road flyover when I was using it in the rain!!
Old 9th September 2011, 13:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Mohan - Found some pics on FB of your VERY 1st self-drive in ANY jeep for that matter... Savor it.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  67.7 KB

My new (old) MM540-2.jpg

My new (old) MM540-3.jpg

My new (old) MM540-4.jpg

My new (old) MM540-5.jpg

My new (old) MM540-6.jpg

My new (old) MM540-7.jpg

My new (old) MM540-8.jpg

Hows the rest of the work coming up?

Most Viewed