Team-BHP - My new (old) MM540
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   My new (old) MM540 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/96073-my-new-old-mm540.html)

I was always fascinated by JEEPs and their capabilities. It was last year’s Avalakonda OTR and jeep journeys in my recent trek which made me to think more seriously about owning one. Started search for jeeps from 2011 January 1st week. Have seen 3 jeeps before buying this one. Somehow interested in this jeep could not resist buying.
I am not that good in narrating my experience. Please bear with me. Even though two jeeps which I had seen before were good, they were not in the budget. Had to let them go with the heavy heart. Used to refresh Team-BHP’s classifieds page at least 50 times a day to find a jeep within my budget. Finally came across a classified from a guy who had many 4X4 jeeps from a government auction. Fixed an appointment with the vendor to look at his jeeps. Initially he was very arrogant and did not wanted to show all jeeps. Later convinced him that I am really looking to buy one and not been there just like that.
This is how the jeep was when I first saw it.

So did you buy it or not yet? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2230922)
So did you buy it or not yet? :p

Who knows that better than you Santosh.Thank you verry much for the help. :thumbs up

Story continues...
Took good one week time to mentally prepare myself to go for this jeep. PMed ARKA & Smaurai to get the recommendation. On 26th January spoke to the vendor and reached the place where jeep was parked. Took many photos and sent to Santosh for the opinion. We spoke almost 10 times. Took a small ride and then negotiated the price. Had to wait for a long time to get the battery as it was holiday. Finally at 5PM my long wait came to end and with the help of a mechanic took the vehicle delivery.

Thank you ARKA, SAMURAI, and SANTOSH for the help.

Now the jeep is parked at my construction site.

Hi Mohan,
First of all, many congratulations on acquiring a JEEP.
So, what's the plan? Would you drive it as is for some time before you decide on the next steps or you already have some in mind?
Although, its too late now, just for curiosity, did you pick this JEEP from this classified? http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ra/MM540.html/
Cheers,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by starter (Post 2231202)
Hi Mohan,
First of all, many congratulations on acquiring a JEEP.
So, what's the plan? Just for curiosity, did you pick the JEEP from this classified?
Deepak

Thank you Deepak. Incidentally i brought from the same seller but this jeep in the classified was already sold.
I have to get the body work done and need to check the mechanicals (they seem to be ok). Have something simple in mind. Will share here in a day or two.

Hi Mohan,

Congratulations on becoming a Jeeper :-)
What restoration plans do you have on mind on the looks front.
Am sure you would ensure the mechanical side to be made to perfection.
Looking forward for your restoration to begin - am sure there would be a lot of learning for us here.

Best of luck

Regards,
Kumar

So it is you whom I met in Anakonda. Congrats congrats. Welcome to the offroad club. Catch you in some or the other garages of bangalore :D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by starter (Post 2231202)
did you pick this JEEP from this classified?

This nearly became a TBhp jeep, but anyways. Another one just became... No not Mohan's :) 'another 1'....

Quote:

Originally Posted by livyodream (Post 2231512)
Catch you in some or the other garages of bangalore :D:D

Not so fast... :D 1st stop outside bangalore (hopefully)

Hi mohan,

Is there an issue with the chassis looks bent to me. please have that checked.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2231547)
This nearly became a TBhp jeep, but anyways. Another one just became... No not Mohan's :) 'another 1'....

Hey Santosh,
It is nice to know. The reason i asked was b'coz he is a very close friend of mine (from school). His dad is managing the whole thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 2231812)
Hi mohan,

Is there an issue with the chassis looks bent to me. please have that checked.

Pramod

+1 to Pramod. Especially, in this picture http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-img_7168.jpg
stupid: But, isn't the tub breaking off there?

Cheers,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchkumar (Post 2231481)
Congratulations on becoming a Jeeper

Thank you. I had been jeeper always - but without a jeep.
Quote:

Originally Posted by catchkumar
What restoration plans do you have on mind on the looks front.

Not much. Planning to have a stock one
Quote:

Originally Posted by catchkumar
Am sure you would ensure the mechanical side to be made to perfection.
Kumar

Yes first in my agenda. I had SMSed you for Ramesh's number. Please send it to me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by livyodream (Post 2231512)
So it is you whom I met in Anakonda. Congrats congrats. Welcome to the offroad club.

Thank you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by livyodream
Catch you in some or the other garages of bangalore

For sure, in the small world of Jeep and Jeepers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by starter (Post 2231882)
His dad is managing the whole thing.

You mean the seller?

Quote:

Originally Posted by starter (Post 2231882)
+1 to Pramod. But, isn't the tub breaking off there?
Cheers,
Deepak

It is the tub, not the chasis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohang_j (Post 2232383)
You mean the seller?

Yup, the seller! The seller's son is a very close friend of mine.
That is exactly why i said earlier that it is too late now.
Quote:

That is true that it is the tub only. But what is the reason for the tub to crack at that point? Isn't it because of the bend in the chassis?
Cheers,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by starter (Post 2232410)
That is true that it is the tub only. But what is the reason for the tub to crack at that point? Isn't it because of the bend in the chassis?
Cheers,
Deepak

There are no body supports at the engine bay. please refer the photo. Let me know if i am missing something.
Quote:

The seller's son is a very close friend of mine
Need your help will PM you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohang_j (Post 2232383)

Not true, the phenomena is called "chassis crab", This is a common issue with all old beaten up jeeps, anyways nothing can be done now since you already bought it. All you can do is strip it down to the chassis level and check for issues on it, you might need a new chassis, no point rebuilding the old one as this is caused by stress in various points and with out sufficient knowledge, no mech can pinpoint the exact cause and fix it. instead all of them go around strengthening the entire chassis which would cost a lot more than to buy new. Take my word start hunting for a decent chassis. I might sound like a party pooper but trust me you will clearly understand what i am saying at a later stage and that time it will be little too late.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohang_j (Post 2232424)
There are no body supports at the engine bay. please refer the photo. Let me know if i am missing something.

Dear Mohan,
I am as much a newbie as you. But my feeling is that it is because of a bent chassis. But, i might be completely wrong!

EDIT: Pramod is definitely more experienced than me. Also, you may want to have a look at this thread from Tini, where Andy has posted some detailed info http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...n-chassis.html.

Quote:

Need your help will PM you.
Sure buddy, i will help you with whatever i can. I shall check with him and revert back to your PM.
Cheers,
Deepak