BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Know any reliable Jeep A/C guys?

--Ramky
Ramky Sir!

Congos on the excellent buy

I do have a contact who can help you with your Jeep's AC. He has 2 workshops.. 1 in the old city (Khanpur / Mirzapur) and 2nd somewhere on SG Road (you can catch him there all day)

Joe Aircon
Contact Person: Joe
Contact number: 09327005217
Old 31st March 2011, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

@ Pushkar: Thanks for the pointer, will contact him once my year end rush work is over and give you a faeedback.

@Kandisa: Thanks a lot for the pictures and directions, will surely use them when I get the aircon done.

@ benbsb29: Tnx. Looking forward to some OTR's now.

@ DHABHAR.BEHRAM: Tnx. Look forward to drink from the fountain of your experience. Sometime next week, will take all photos and post it up here.

@ getsurya: Almost fully loaded. Tnx.

@khan_sultan: Tnx. You would remember our conversations during the GQ, I've been looking from then, but found only now. A GQ drive on this one, why not, say when

@ sudev: Tnx. Will surely do some short distance, will have to see about the long distance like you said. I'm ready for your recce into the wild now for whatever it's worth. Let me know when. Came with the extra 4 lights, will hood it for the time being.

@joshguy: Tnx. Actually I have lots of ideas form threads here. Will use them for the A/C, but the PS seem to be difficult.

@ Bapu: Will talk to you, may take your help. Tnx.

@ AVR: Tnx for all you have done and same to YOGI. Will eat your head for sure.

@ kailashnj: Tnx. Buzz me when you come, 9377203000, would be a pleasure to meet you.

@ Jaggu: Jugguji, tnx. Willing to chop off anything for a PS, short turns are a pain.

@ chanu: Tnx. Will have to acquire taste for jeeping, will post pictures later.

@ sreejeshmp: Tnx. The previous owner was a great jeeper too, kept it in great condition.

@SST-raveller: Tnx. Have kept an old jeans and T shirt already for the work shop day. Would love to have Spike to advise even if it's for one day.

@ Spike: Tnx. Look forward to your trip to A'bad, SST would probably inform you the schedule

@ MileCruncher : Tnx.All details of the engine / GB now on the first post.

@genesis: Tnx. I already feel like a mechanic, when I sleep all I can see are nuts, bolts and spanners!!

@ slalom : Tnx. Plan to take it places.

Great to see enthusiasm for a jeep pulsing.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 31st March 2011 at 15:11.
Old 31st March 2011, 22:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

First things first! congratulations.

For AC i can recommend Imran, i have listed him in Tbhp directory.

He is bit busy these days, but tell him Kenden from abu has sent you. He also has a very good electrician and a painter

He is located at Khanpur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ahmedabad.html
Old 31st March 2011, 23:47   #34
BHPian

Congrats Ramky, you have found a very nice jeep in a very good condition.
Old 1st April 2011, 06:25   #35
BHPian

Hi Ramky,
Congrats on your purchase. The jeep looks good and looks like you are blessed with avoiding an appointment with the ubiquitous tinkerer and painter! What Kind of steering setup are you driving now? An MRCBT set up feels nearly like a PS and can handle up to 235 size tyres comfortably.
Old 1st April 2011, 06:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ramky,
This is a Jeep with neat bodyline and good colour, meaning that part of your efforts can be chanelized elsewhere, as denting and color take up major build time.
All the best and looking forward to more upgrades from you.
Regards,
Old 1st April 2011, 22:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

SirAlec, AarEmm, Madkris & fazalaliadil thanks for the information.

@ Madkris: Will take some pictures of the JOLT all around and take pointed inputs from there.

Tomorrow I'd see all these A/C guys to check out possibilities.

Can anyone give me pointer about the PS setup, Jaggu mentioned chopping the cross member. Can somebody point me to a thread where PS has been discussed in detail? Thanks.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st April 2011 at 22:11.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:19   #38
BHPian

Hi Ramky,
There is an interesting discussion in our technical forum on power steering for jeeps. The link is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-550-jeep.html

Hope this helps
Old 4th April 2011, 12:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows! BEACHED JOLT!!

@ Madhkris: Tnx for the link, lots of useful information.

Yesterday most mechanics were off duty, probably hangover of the Indian Victory.

Took out JOLT for a spin with Yograj, wanted to try some 4x4 stuff around 6 PM, there were mud heaps on the road side, climbed a couple of them, got bolder and tried a bigger one, got stuck with the front two wheels hanging out, we were beached proper with back wheels digging in. Fortunately got guys from the nearby construction site with shovels, they removed the mud from under, the front wheels touched ground and Jolt was on all fours. By then another friend had come with his jeep with tow ropes. Lucky Jolt came out on own power on first try but anxious 30 minutes of 4x4 relearning, the fun is starting.

Guess the approach and departure angles need to be carefully studied before you try any mud heap and recce the territory before you try. Looks good in hindsight.

--Ramky
======

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Hi Ramky,
There is an interesting discussion in our technical forum on power steering for jeeps. The link is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-550-jeep.html

Hope this helps

Last edited by ramkya1 : 4th April 2011 at 12:53.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Congrats! Saw the ad for this jeep some time ago and the specs do look imopressive. Getting a single owner XDB with 5 speed gearbox at this price is a great deal IMHO. Best part is this is not an army disposal or so called 'ex-army' vehicle rather a running civilian model. So you won't have to go through the painful 'rebuild' process. Also, with some care taken for the basic systems, this jeep is going to be far more reliable.
Looks like your jeep has the MRCBT type of steering assembly (not sure though without the pic) which is like a semi-PS for people like us who drove with older gen steering systems. But coming from a Scorpio experience, the steering is bound to be troublesome for you. An older Bolero type PS assembly will cost around 45-50k with brand new components IIRC the information in the forum. 4x4addict has probably done it.
For AC purpose you can change to the Bolero/Thar type dash. Attaching two pics here, taken from RedMM340's thread on his 550, the most practical 550 i have seen in the forum so far. Note he hasn't changed the dash for installing AC.

Attachment 525739

Attachment 525740

Wishing you many miles of happy jeeping experiences ahead
Hi Kandisa,

Rebuilding an Ex-Army MM550 might be painful, but the experience and joy of doing so is worth the effort. Moreover, a well rebuilt Ex-Army Jeeps can be equally reliable as many Team Bhpians have experienced.

As they say 'Real Jeeps are Built not Bought'.

Having said so, Ramky Congratulations on your new acquisition. Its a very impressive looking vehicle. And from the list of modifications that you intend doing on it, you are in a way 'building' your Jeep.

Enjoy the ride.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 14th April 2011, 16:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaskirat,

I am happy in a way that I did not take an Ex-army one as the build process for me would be traumatic. People with the right knowledge, mecahnics, workshops and time could do that well, for me this is turning out to be a problem. I understand now what a full build is all about and the commitment it needs to plan and execute it.

Simple things like installation of A/C needs decisions like where to position the blower, whether to change the dash etc., difficulty is finding good guys who can do this. Thanks to leads here, I'm about to give my jeep (JOLT ) this weeekend and finish the first step off. Awfully busy with work..... so time is the big problem.

Next is the exploration for hard top, 2nd hand Innova seats and a more technical problem of PS. Looks like this could be a project in itself. Not in a hurry, afte the A/C gets fixed, I'd use it more often and take my time about the PS to get it done properly.

Promisie to get some photos this weekend and load it up.

--Ramky
=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Hi Kandisa,

Rebuilding an Ex-Army MM550 might be painful, but the experience and joy of doing so is worth the effort. Moreover, a well rebuilt Ex-Army Jeeps can be equally reliable as many Team Bhpians have experienced.

As they say 'Real Jeeps are Built not Bought'.

Having said so, Ramky Congratulations on your new acquisition. Its a very impressive looking vehicle. And from the list of modifications that you intend doing on it, you are in a way 'building' your Jeep.

Enjoy the ride.

Regards

Jaskirat

Last edited by ramkya1 : 14th April 2011 at 16:40.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows!PICTURES

With help from Aditya, found Edison who does mod jobs on jeeps; reportedly, he is one of the best around Sarkhaj.

He came yesterday night, difficult to get him as he is a farmer too. Saw the JOLT and was sure he could do most of the works that I have in mind:

1.2nd hand AC, blower and compressor would be old, guaranty of 1 year, rest would be new. 12K.

2.PS: Bolero unit, sourced from the Junkyard. 9K.

3.Bolero Dash Board with all Bolero Dials and A/C vents: Old dash would be exchanged, so around 2-3K.

4. Underbody rubber pased paint and all othe rusted areas: 1.5 K

5. Labor: 3 K.

6. Rear Innova seats, old ones sourced from Junkyard: Rs.1.5-2K depending on condition.

7. Hard Top which can be removed when needed. No estimate now, would surce around from junkyards or check with body building units in Palanpur and take a call later.

Time Lines: About 2 weeks from today, he would try to speed it up. Said the PS work at the lathe need to be done carefully and slowly.

Today morning he has collected JOLT. Have taken lots of photos uploading them here, you would find lots of rust points, specially the underchasis. Right now I'm protecting the underbody and wondering if I should do a whole paint job? Already money has strated draining out, wondering where it would stop?

Any suggestions as to what is the level of satisfaction / comfort one shold expect from a jeep and where NOT to spend? That would be very useful.

Thanks,

--Ramky
======
Attached Thumbnails
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1533.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1535.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1537.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1539.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1540.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1541.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1542.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1543.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1544.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1545.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1546.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1548.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1550.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1551.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1552.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1553.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1554.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1556.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1560.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1563.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1564.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1567.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_1569.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 15th April 2011 at 11:16.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows!PICTURES

Good to see you proceeding with a concrete framework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
....Right now I'm protecting the underbody and wondering if I should do a whole paint job? Already money has strated draining out, wondering where it would stop?
Any suggestions as to what is the level of satisfaction / comfort one shold expect from a jeep and where NOT to spend? That would be very useful......
Lol, well the truth is it would never stop! The moment you fix up something there will be few other plans (read as upgrades/modifications) popping up, draining your monetary resources.
As per the level of satisfaction, well the expectation should be justified with the realization that it is a JEEP, neither a Car nor an SUV. Too much effort to make the jeep feel like either of these will actually complicate things. So it is up to you to draw a borderline for an optimum level of comfort. Just for an example, no matter what you do to the steering system, it can never be like an electronic PS as in a modern car, though the relative improvements might be significant. Same goes for ride quality also, no matter what you do to the suspension system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Hi Kandisa,
Rebuilding an Ex-Army MM550 might be painful, but the experience and joy of doing so is worth the effort...
Yes 'the experience and joy of doing so is worth the effort' provided:
1. One is perfectly ok in taking the pain over prolonged period of time
2. One has sufficient access to expert mechanic/ garage and reliable/genuine parts
And there have been quite a few occasions where people have plunged into an army disposal 550 for the 'ex-army jeep feel' and all that and ended up selling their vehicles even sooner! May be just coincidence, but most of the famous 'ex-army rebuilts' in Tbhp also have already changed hands from their original owners!
Btw, the joy and experience doesn't reduce even if you pick an old civilian vehicle and rebuild it, just in my case

Quote:
...Moreover, a well rebuilt Ex-Army Jeeps can be equally reliable as many Team Bhpians have experienced...
Theoretically yes. But for some passionate wanna-be jeeper, not so technically expert about jeeps, it is a much safer bet to go for a civilian vehicle any day. And if it is in running condition, even better, as in the present case.
Old 8th May 2011, 13:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows! Work on.....

The work on JOLT is agonizingly slow, Edison who is working on it is taking his sweet time doing it.

Happy to see that the PS, Kayo is fitted fully and functional, cost me around 17K net. The steering is a whole new experience now, so easy now. The fitting in the front is not the best of sights, but then you can't have everything. Thinking of ways to cover that up....

The dash work is finished, a Gypsy dash installed, the Dials would go in next, may be a nother 3-4 days. Was trying for a 2nd hand Bolero dash, not available anywhere, the new one costs about 5k + so went for the Gyspy one.

Have been doing the rounds of all the major 2nd hand spare part junkyards of Ahmedabd, the goodies available are amazing and with slow negotiation you can bring prices down pretty hard.

The A/C would be next, quote of 13.5 from one of the best guys here. Will finish that too next week.

The Hard top would have to be a Roplas, have seen many good ones, starts from 10 K to 20K in good condition, the fitting and painting should cost about another 3-4 K. Don't know if that would be possible, want my roll bars outside the shell. Will see what is feasible. Would welcome ideas how to do that? It would look different and funky, a black HT with a silver coloured roll bar!!

Will post pictures in a couple of days.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 8th May 2011 at 13:11.
Old 9th July 2011, 22:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

A big Pranam to the Gurus and learned friends here.

Life has been hectic since the last post...... but plenty has happened to JOLT. As planned some changes that took place are:

1. A/C, senden 507, the compressor and blower, a chiller.
2. Copper 5 core radiator, was heating up.
3. Shackles which lifted it all of 2". Needed it to avoid the 31" tyres touching the fenders on extreme turns and to avoid the front differential touching the big Radiator on extreme articulation. Before shackling the gap was hardly 2 inches, not it's about 4. With the lift JOLT looks much better in stance now.

The shroud is gone, searching for a bigger one, some research suggests the commander's shroud would fit the big radiator.

The doctor, Edison says the reason for overheating is "weak engine" compression is low and engine needs work, so staring at another 20 K of works!!! He also says I can nurse it for another 1-3 k but not very reliable on long distance. Not decided about engine works now.

Uploading some pictures of the latest position.

First few pictures are for the tow rope and shackles, this is an industrial, 2 ply rope with a certificates. This guy stocks all kinds of ropes with huge ropes for big industrial ratings, the 6 mtr 2 ply rope with 2 D shackles are a reasonable 1200/- with the certificate and it's available at Ahmedabad. There's an universal colour coding for ropes as you would see on the printed sheet. Visited this guy's godown at Sarkhej, all kinds of ropes, pullys, chains and shackles available there, a big treasure within everyday reach!!

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2276.jpg
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2277.jpg
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2275.jpg
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2270.jpg
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2271.jpg
Name:  IMG_2274.JPG
Views: 1129
Size:  75.1 KB

Even with the lift, the clearance between the radiator bottom and the diferential is only 4", I think on moderate articulation they would collide, as per my learning from the thread "articulation on articulation", an awesome thread.

Gurus suggest what to do? There's not much scope to lift the radiator up as the clearance now between the bonnet and the radiator top is only 2"!!

Also after 50 KM or so, the tem needle crosses 90 and the oil pressure light comes on, so the next step is to do up the engine, I guess.

I am also searching with body builder contacts to do up a hard top, will update when I decide.

With the A/C it's a please to drive the jeep now as a daily driver.

Today morning when I was tinkering around the pintel hook scrached me, she drew first blood (do you call a jeep a he or a she?)

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2261.jpg

Been spending an awful lot of time on the 4x4 secation here reading up on all that information, I think I'd take a degree in Jeepology pretty soon, I am addicted for sure I feel life has become more interesteg, sometimes feel helpless like a student at the edge of an ocean of Jeepology, but being sucked in by some magnetic power and yet revolted by the loss of control!!

--Ramky
Attached Thumbnails
Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-shackle-1.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-shackles2.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2257.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2204.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2211.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2215.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2216.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2223.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2231.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2226.jpg  

Ahoy! There MM550 blows!-img_2249.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th July 2011 at 23:23.

Most Viewed