Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 11:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Ahoy! There MM550 blows!

Wow, a gypsy dashboard in a MM550 , i guess first of the kind ( i may be wrong) , Looks very good . Why no glovebox door? Is the box between the seats a DIY . Looks good, serves the purpose , now that your arm can be rested on it while cruising it must be comfortable. Neat job , congrats.
Old 10th July 2011, 14:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

Something is very wrong in the radiator system. Please post a clearer pic (from at least 3-4 feet away) - the radiator pics are too close-up to understand clearly. In a thud-bang offroading (jump) situation the radiator does move a few CMS at times and in your case the fan can break, worst case - even damage the radiator core. Why did you need a 5-core? A 4-core should be enough for a jeep with AC. What temps were you hitting earlier?
Old 10th July 2011, 14:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Something is very wrong in the radiator system. Please post a clearer pic (from at least 3-4 feet away) - the radiator pics are too close-up to understand clearly. In a thud-bang offroading (jump) situation the radiator does move a few CMS at times and in your case the fan can break, worst case - even damage the radiator core. Why did you need a 5-core? A 4-core should be enough for a jeep with AC. What temps were you hitting earlier?
Will post one. This is a brand new copper core radiator, made locally, used widely here by most transport jeepers. I am not worried about the few cms the radiator would move, thinking more about the pumpkin moving up on articulation and hitting the radiator. From what I read, the articulation up can be 6" + so this is a real danger on thud-bang off roading situation.

The temp was crossing 90 & the oil pressure was dropping below 2bars even at moderate revving (about 2500 rpm, cruising at 60KMPH with the A/C on on 5th gear for more than 25-30 kms) the oil pressure lamp would come on and would go off only when I slow down and the temp needle comes below 80. The mechanic said the biggest, 5 core one would solve the overheating problem, but did not. There's great improvement, temp needle now takes longer to hit the red, so there are two more things left to do. A proper shroud and if that does not work then the engine works.

Today took JOLT for a short chakkar on the rains, the driving has become better in terms of turning, the lifting has done it a world of good, wheels do not touch anywhere, even my wife had a spin at it and was happy. But while turning, one needs to be careful and reduce speed drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Wow, a gypsy dashboard in a MM550 , i guess first of the kind ( i may be wrong) , Looks very good . Why no glovebox door? Is the box between the seats a DIY . Looks good, serves the purpose , now that your arm can be rested on it while cruising it must be comfortable. Neat job , congrats.
Thanks. The arm rest is comfortable too, doubles as a deep box.

The original dash had a small glovebox, wanted the basic CD player / FM to go inside for a lock up. The Gypsy dash had to be fabricated to get the dials in properly, took some doing, but OK now. The box is between the seats, a DIY, deep and good with a 12V jack for charging.

JOLT has spoiled me!!! Earlier I used to visit the M&M ASC with even minute problems on my Scorpio CRDE and the the guys there called me up as asked me what's wrong, I haven't visited for 1 month+!!! The small rattles and problems on the Scorp are noting compared to the sound, rattles and problems on the jeep and I need to attend to that first

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 10th July 2011 at 14:49.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks