Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 01:02   #1

Maruti Gypsy SJ 410 to be done up

Hey Guys,
I finally picked up the Sj 410 1995 Model. Broad Axle Mint condition White Soft Top Pune Registered Vehicle. Body Line is excellent and required basic touch up work which will be done immediately.. I will be posting the pics soon as i am taking delivery of the Vehicle today morning as its Gudi Padwa..

I need your suggestions for the same as i have been a Jeep guy and do not have much knowledge on Gypsy's.. I got one as i needed something fast and peppy on highways and good in Off Road too..

I am getting the Vehicle ready for the Offroad season and need to do basics after which i will get the major Mods done..

Line of Action is as follows.

Lift it with alterations in the Shackles by atleast 4 Inch
Alloy Wheels
Mud Terrain Tires
Air Conditioner as i need to ues it on Daily Basis
Diff Locker
Offroad Bumpers something like Swastic Fabs..
Headers and exhausts

Line of action post Off road season

Baleno Engine
Power Steering
SPOA or Air lift Kits
Winch
Light Force Lights

Also this vehicle has a Gas Kit installed (LPG) should i keep it or remove it. Does it drom the Power / Torgue??

Moderators / Senior BHPians Please give me suggestions in all you can so i can start work immediately.
Old 4th April 2011, 09:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Gypsy SJ 410 to be done up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Slinger View Post
.....I finally picked up the Sj 410 1995 Model. Broad Axle
Congrats buddy.

Quote:
Lift it with alterations in the Shackles by atleast 4 Inch
4" lift with shackles.!!! think again my friend. For every 2" of extra length than stock shackles you would get 1" of lift. So for 4" of lift, you would need 8" of extra shackle length.
Do understand what all issues you would be having because of this.

Quote:
...Also this vehicle has a Gas Kit installed (LPG) should i keep it or remove it.
Based on my observations, in bangalore, most offroaders who had LPG ended up removing it.
Old 4th April 2011, 10:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations...

First get familiar with the vehicle and it's capabilities in stock condition before planning major mods. Some mods you can do right-away without any worries:

1. Transfer case guard
2. Gas tank guard
3. Rock Sliders
4. Snorkel
5. Remove front and rear bumpers and side-skirts
6. Install rudimentary bumper which will not affect your approach and departure angle. Purpose of this bumper is just to protect radiator/ac condensor and front cross member
7. Lockright differential locks
8. 235-75-R15 MT tires (Trepador/Forceum etc.)
9. Internal roll-cage
10. Steering stop to prevent tires from fouling on the body - flatten all sharp edges inside the wheel-well
11. Leaf spring count of 5 leaves all around re-cambered to give body enough lift
12. Don't go for alloy wheels. If you still want - you can buy mine off me (same design as Khan's)
13. Don't go for shackle lift
Old 4th April 2011, 11:31   #4
BANNED

Hello Nishant , If you need a W shop manual , call me . I think some one I know has a soft copy too .

BTW , nice to know about the New Toy , You know what to do , Looks like you are going to make a special vehicle & I am looking for few Ideas from a ' battle hardened ' guy like you .

regards
Sudarshan
Old 5th April 2011, 00:20   #5
BHPian

Good luck bro..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
4" lift with shackles.!!! think again my friend. For every 2" of extra length than stock shackles you would get 1" of lift. So for 4" of lift, you would need 8" of extra shackle length.
Do understand what all issues you would be having because of this.
8 inch shackle?
I guess he meant overall lift of 4 inch ( Tyre+Spring recamber+Shackle lift +Body Lift.)
Old 5th April 2011, 11:39   #6

Got the delivery of my new baby yesterday.. She feels good.. Need to start working over the same.

Thanks a lot Khan Bhai,

I meant a total of 4" lift.

GS Ferrari, Thanks for all the Input. Noted and will get things moving.. Starting with the springs today..

Sudarshan sir, i need inputs.. I have been a Jeep guy.. But soon will mould this baby equalivalent or even berrer to the Old Mudslinger.

Thanks MexXxentric
Old 5th April 2011, 19:16   #7

I need to put an Air Conditioner??????
Old 6th April 2011, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Are you asking, or are you stating?!

My advice, go for a compressor LARGER than the subros 80cc!
Doesn't have to be too fancy though.

But is yours a 1Litre? I think the load on engine may be a little too much, with the AC.
In my MPFi, there is a little load, but its not THAT bad.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:51   #9

I just need to kool the front Cabin.. SO i think the Maruti 800 Ac is the size i am looking for..

But i am still open for suggestions.. Does the AC work through the Original Fan & Blower or do we need to put one more blower..
Old 6th April 2011, 17:40   #10
BHPian

I've got a separate blower put in, but the cool air comes in through the stock vents...
And I've got an electric fan, as opposed to the std mechanical one..

Superking blower should be good.. and these days, i find the 80cc compressor inadequate even for just the front cabin! Or maybe my AC gas has run out
Old 6th April 2011, 22:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy.

here is my favorite comment.
Attached Images

Old 7th April 2011, 10:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nishant - AC you get factory compressor brackets easily here in Kurla etc. Don't go above Subros 80cc with your engine, will become very sluggish. You have to build half-cabin to stay comfortable with this compressor. Superking blower is an obvious choice but you can install it to blow through the existing vents so you don't lose cabin space. You can re-use the existing ac controls for a cleaner looking finish.

You can talk to Sripad in Mahim about getting the AC fitted to your Gypsy but he takes his time to do the work. If you are in a hurry I am sure there are a lot of options.

Lockright diff-locks have to go in first along with transfer case guard and 235-75-15 MT tires
Old 7th April 2011, 12:37   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If it helps you any, I had a Sanden 507 Compressor / AC aftermarket setup in my old Gypsy MG410 wide track 1000 CC model.

It worked ok despite all the leaks in the body work, window beadings and not-so-pucca fitting hard top etc.

But when one banged it on full the vehicle became viciously sluggish like climbing a hill carrying many kilos of lead on one's back.

There was a huge impact on performance as well as Fuel efficiency.
With the AC on, driving on highways, I used to barely clear 7km per litre by the skin of my teeth. Without the AC on highways I used to barely reach 10kmpl. (I once nearly ran out of gas between Bangalore and Mysore on account of a long detour cross country which was caused by some Chemical laden truck which had overturned. Hence I had to limp along on foot some 2km or so to the nearest bunk somewhere near Mysore to buy a can of gas to pour down that Gyp's thirsty throat!)

In the city also it became too much of a drag. Felt like I had a permanent hole in my wallet/ pocket throughout the years I had that Gypsy! Dreadful guzzler and more so with the AC.

But in all else, a lovely old plugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Slinger View Post
I just need to kool the front Cabin.. SO i think the Maruti 800 Ac is the size i am looking for..

But i am still open for suggestions.. Does the AC work through the Original Fan & Blower or do we need to put one more blower..
Old 7th April 2011, 13:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

If budget allows...switch to the 1.3L MPFI engine. I haven't driven a 1L with AC installed. Perhaps you should give Paras a call to hear his views.
Old 6th November 2020, 10:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Nishant - AC you get factory compressor brackets easily here in Kurla etc. Don't go above Subros 80cc with your engine, will become very sluggish. You have to build half-cabin to stay comfortable with this compressor. Superking blower is an obvious choice but you can install it to blow through the existing vents so you don't lose cabin space. You can re-use the existing ac controls for a cleaner looking finish.

You can talk to Sripad in Mahim about getting the AC fitted to your Gypsy but he takes his time to do the work. If you are in a hurry I am sure there are a lot of options.

Lockright diff-locks have to go in first along with transfer case guard and 235-75-15 MT tires
gsferrari sir, need your advice on airconditioning in my mg413. It is one of the last produced by maruti in end 2018. i have been poring through the threads and found that you did not have a heating problem thanks to some innovative placement of the condenser and an extra fan.

Would be happy to know more details of the setup. I am based in Chennai.

Most Viewed