Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 02:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Both, it will tear off gradually in day to day use, more quickly in severe rough road / off-road use.

Have a look at the army brackets, one is an Arnold and the other Dhanush..

Siva anna, I presume you are referring to the tailgate wedges, is it?

Spike
You are right, I will make a note of this term Wedge (Never known to me before... silly)
Old 17th May 2011, 09:53   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I could see this is a custom made one, however on the right side of your body where the tail gate rests, you actually need two tail gate resting beds (not sure what is the actual term used). I could see you have one on the upper area, you also need one on the bottom side.

If you inspect the edge of your tailgate you will notice the holes to fix the resting rod setup. I would suggest you to buy and fix the upper side too.
OK, you were talking about the wedge on the side. I had discussed the tail gate setup extensively with my jeep rebuilder. Unlike city Jeep rebuilders, this guy is located in the heart of Coorg. He builds Jeeps for extreme offroad use. In fact, two of the most extreme offroaders (Sibi Paul & Jagat Nanjappa) I know got their Jeep built by him. In fact, Sibi Paul who lives in the same village oversaw the rebuild of my Jeep. And he told me this custom setup is strong enough to handle anything we can throw at it. The hinges, the bottom support and the wedge, were all built for abuse. Unlike OEMs, I didn't try to cut cost anywhere. So, I am satisfied about it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 10:14   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
=== Unlike OEMs, I didn't try to cut cost anywhere. So, I am satisfied about it.
Sentence of the day , In fewer & effective words you have described the whole Jeeping scenes

Suffered a lot in the past , because of the OEM . ( Sorry DB Sir )

Sudarshan
Old 18th May 2011, 06:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
madhkris, the wall-to-wall carpeting of the Jeep may not be a good idea. There are holes in the floor for draining purposes. When you do water fording, water will get in the Jeep, and the floor will remain wet thanks to carpeting. It will lead to quick rusting. Also, the material you have used will tear easily, especially under the pedals, your foot will slip on it. I know this because I had gotten same thing done in my Jeep.

You can use a different carpet material which is much harder and easy to lift for cleaning or drying.

This is a very tough PU sheet which is bolted on the sides, it can be lifted for cleaning.

Also notice that I have a ledge on the right side at the bottom of the tail gate to support the tail gate. you have none.
@Samurai, Spike,
Thanks for the suggestions on tail gate strengthening and also carpeting. Actually I am using this as a base layer and top of it am placing OE 540 rubber mats. I will take a pic of this and post it. Please see if it is fine or else I will have to go for a complete change.
Regarding tailgate; I will try to use your idea or else I will have to go in for the Army tailgate as Spike has suggested. I found that the Army tail gates are available but the problem is mounting it. Mine is a 1988 model and as I understand, the mounts are different? Is such a tailgate a direct fit?
I saw a Jeep with this kind of tailgate:
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-jeepe.jpg
Can we do something like this?
(Found it on Jeepforum dot com Copyright of respective owner; used for knowledge purpose only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Sentence of the day , In fewer & effective words you have described the whole Jeeping scenes
Sudarshan Sir: It's a Jeep thing
Old 19th May 2011, 18:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
(Found it on Jeepforum dot com Copyright of respective owner; used for knowledge purpose only)
Hi Madhu,

A similar kind of Setup was done by Kunal (motocamp on the forum) in Alfa Kilo's 540. You can search for the thread of Alfa Kilo Challenge 2010 for the jeep's pics.
Old 20th May 2011, 06:52   #51
BHPian

Hi Sabareesh,
Thanks for the tip. I will find out from his pics. Is there any disadvantage in this form of set-up?
Old 20th May 2011, 09:29   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Sudarshan Sir: It's a Jeep thing
Yes Sir , but who can know the suffering better then me ? Following is the list of failures I encountered on my dads Jeep in its first two years ( Bought new & Now mine )

1) Clutch plates : 12000 km

2) Engine Oil rings : 16000 km

3) SFRA : 15000 & 20000 Km ( one instance per side ) Then converted to FFRA at 25000 km

Note: the replacement material lasted much longer , wise ; clutch plates 55000, oil rings 60000, Axles till now 1,25,000 km

Had my driving been faulty these parts would have gone repeatedly , & on the Land Rover too .

Any ways I have crossed to the later stage of Jeeping , Recently started 'Trailing ' them

Sudarshan
Old 20th May 2011, 10:47   #53
BHPian

Hi Doc, Congrats first for joining the Hyde gang. I recall the same events which went on a few years back. The diseased and contageous persons were Arka and Anjan. On the first meet, within seconds they spread the infection to me. Iam really sorry to say bro, there is no cure. Its not that we tried and failed in finding the cure, but, we really don't want to find a cure, infact we love to be diseased . So, welcome to the world of the deseased .
You are doing a great job in the restoration, Iam sure its gonna turn into a fine beast. Just a few pointers, ditch the foot steps since our condition needs jumping in and out. Ditch the windshield washer, cause if the windshield need cleaning then we gotto go for a swim with the beast .
O.K, coming to the point, for the spare wheel support, I had the same problem as everyone mentione here. After supporting the door, it reduced but the clamp used to tear off the metal sheet. Then I tried reinforcing the clamp base with 16 guage sheet metal, but no. Finally I made a contraption where I gave a circular plate welded to a bolt as a support to the tire directly. Try to see it in my Prowler [https://picasaweb.google.com/1146916...61575666521250 ]. The problem has not cropped up for the past 4 yrs. After fixing the spare wheel, just tighten the nut so that it holds the tire tightly. It works.
Dr.Jones

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th May 2011 at 11:08. Reason: Please do not post more than 2 smileys per post.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hi Madhu,
Please refer below picture of Abhimanyu's (AlfaKilo) jeep pic. I think it is the best way for oversize tyres. Kunal (Motocamp) can explain it better.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Attached Thumbnails
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img00050201101261035.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 12:16   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It's been done on my jeep. Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_52371.jpg  

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_0030.jpg  

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_0031.jpg  

Old 20th May 2011, 12:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hey Madhu,
You would find more details about it here in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-tailgate.html
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 20th May 2011, 14:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

Unless you want to do your own R&D, talk to Viji he has done it and has all the info needed for MM.
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:10   #58
BHPian

@Drji,
Would you please share what that setup costed you? Suppose I were to mount LP1109 rims a.k.a army rims in my 540,would it hold on or is susceptible to shear.

Warm Regards
Old 25th May 2011, 07:15   #59
BHPian

@ Dr. Jones: What you said is very true!! Love to be entering the 4x4 sport world and I guess with help from great folks on this nice forum, I hope to enjoy this experience.
@ Shubendra, Tejas, Deepak: Thanks guys for those Pointers. Actually am too thinking of a similar set-up as Tejas's. Lets see how it turns out to be.
@ Jaggu: I have already talked to Viji regarding the skid plate and diff guard. Also will talk about this and a winch plate too (planning for a good winch)
The restoration is nearly coming to an end and I will share the final pics in a few days time.
Old 1st June 2011, 06:46   #60
BHPian

Restoration is complete and Jeep is getting ready for a final wash.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3003-large.jpg
Fixed the Lamda FreeWheeling Hubs too.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3006-large.jpg
My 5 yr old son..a hardcore Jeep fan!!
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3031-large.jpg
Pooja at temple.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3072-large.jpg
On the highway.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3017-large.jpg
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com