Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 08:04   #1
BHPian

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper

“Sir here is a 45 year old male presenting with a chief complaint of xxxx..” This is how any student studying medicine presents a case he/she has examined.

Well today I present a case history of myself.

Chief Complaint: Here is a 34 year old male presenting with a chief complaint of sleeplessness since a year, stopping at every garage without any indication, browsing team-bhp 4x4 section nah addicted to it, constantly lost in thought, appreciates the vehicle in the movie than the movie itself (makes wifey angry!), attended an OTR and has come back with a unwipeable smile on his face.
Past history: On searching out the past it is revealed that the patient is suffering from a previous bullet motorcycle addiction and does not look like any rehab has worked. However he seems to have a smile after a long ride on his bike akin to a yogi having nirvana. The present disease is very complex and has many symptoms.
On examination: Found dilated pupils whenever anything related to jeeps are even whispered about. The person who used to be in operatories and clinics is now found to be in garages and gujri’s. His best friends are no longer surgeons and medical suppliers but mechanics and parts dealers. The discussion with friends is no longer about a new surgical procedure or bone grafting but about a new roll-cage or a diff-lock. His friends and family have give up any hope of curing him.

Diagnosis: The patient is suffering from Acute Infectious Jeep Syndrome.

Treatment: Immediate procurement of a Jeep. Attend detoxifying OTR, participate in de-stressing team-bhp discussions. Take up Jeep 'Surgery' as a serious hobby (cant give up regular surgery or there wont be any money for my Jeep restorations!!)

So, when I found out my disease and also the cure, it was a matter of time until I got hold of a jeep.
It was at this time that I told my wife (a doctor too) about my interest in jeeps (as if she already didnt know) At first she was like- "Duh! You mean a old rusty jeep which is always leaking oil? People may mistake you for a taxi driver!!" After showing her the 4x4 section, she realized what I was upto and believe me you as we are building up the jeep, she is keen herself to become an off-roader!

I used to see a lot of war movies and the jeep being a ubiquitous part of it was always an enigma. They could go anywhere, do anything and the soldiers driving it were Oh! So cool! But the jeeps I saw in real life here were nowhere like it. In fact it used to be more of a beast of burden/ people carrier/ associated with a village image. I always felt that there should be someplace where I can find the jeeps I had dreamed about. And then the inevitable happened! I came upon team-bhp and was mostly in the motorcycle sections until one day I saw the 4x4 section thread on Jeep pics. I was like Alice in a Jeep wonderland! I was reveling in the numerous pics of all types of jeeps. I had no idea of the various jeeps and it was during this time I realized the differences between Short Wheel base, MWB, LWB jeeps.

I began to read the from frame-build up of almost all jeeps on our forum.

I searched through various classified sections and even visited many garages. After seeing a lot of jeeps I finally zeroed in on a jeep seller from Bannerghatta Road
He had purchased a lot of 9 jeeps from Govt auctions and was selling them.

I contacted him, went over to his place and saw three jeeps. After going through each Jeep in detail with the help of my friend and mentor, SV Santosh of our forum, I finalized on a 1988, MM 540 DP. (Thanks a lot Santosh Without you I would never have become a Jeeper)

I paid a token advance to the seller and left. I had to arrange for the rest of the amount.
So, on a cold February morning, I set out from my house in Vijayanagar on my 500cc Enfield Bullet motorcycle to bring home a new member of the family
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 11:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper

As I was on the highway, I was humming the song:
'It was just an old worn out Jeep
Rusty old floorboard, hot on my feet
A young guy two hands on the wheel
I can't replace the way it made me feel
And he'd say, "turn it left and steer it right,
Straighten up bud, you're doing just fine"
Just a little valley by the river where we'd ride
But I was high on a mountain
When daddy let me drive'

Reached the place and took delivery by paying the balance. Some pics of delivery.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3915a-large.jpg
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3916-large.jpg
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3918-large.jpg
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3923-large.jpg
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3928-medium.jpg
With help from my friend Mohan we drove the Jeep to Hosur.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3982-medium.jpg
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_3988-medium.jpg
There e we dropped it with Santosh's Mechanic for complete restoration.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_4001-medium.jpg
I was to be in for a small surprise when Santosh and the Mechanic scrutinized the Jeep completely.

Last edited by madhkris : 1st May 2011 at 07:35.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:07   #3
BHPian

The mechanic reported that the steering assembly is busted and the alternator is not functioning. The good news was that the body was in a fairly good shape for a 24 year-old jeep and the engine and gear box was functioning well. So we drew up a plan to do the restoration:
1. Mechanical work
2. Tinkering work
3. Painting work
4. Electrical work
Leafs are re cambered and new shackles
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- From Doctor to Jeeper-img_7297-large.jpg
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

I almost forgot how your jeep looked 3 months ago. Do you want to do a Alfred Hitchcock type suspense or a Indian Flashback story (reveal final pics at 1st itself?)

Anyways, thank to you too, would not have bothered to learn so much about a new aspect of owing a jeep - Tinker/Painter!!
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Madhu,
It was a very well explained diagnosis of the Jeep syndrome, mechanically and medically understood by many of us Jeepers who go through this incurable mid life syndrome.

The body looks good inspite of its age, an original 4WD and all else looks in place. Looking forward to the final build and completion.
Regards,
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great narration Doc. And how true you are regarding the Jeep syndrome, went through the same symptoms two years back till the cure occurred! The most amusing fact is, the persons in your surroundings would be really perplexed to see this sudden interest & enthusiasm in an insignificantly old vehicle like Jeep. Enjoy the rebuild experience and hope the vehicle will stick to you for a long time after getting restored suitably.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Super thread, eagerly waiting for the updates Heard jeep has come out really well.
Old 3rd May 2011, 15:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Heard jeep has come out really well.
Eh, where? still (few) miles to go... LOL. Just like a house, the finishing takes hell lot of time and tests ones patience... to MAX!!
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post

Diagnosis: The patient is suffering from Acute Infectious Jeep Syndrome
Acute Infectious Jeep Syndrome.

Well mate,you are not the only one here (medico) to get this deadly infectious syndrome.

I got infected long time back and now its 'Chronic Infectious Jeep Syndrome' and the intervention i got is by buying two deadly Offroaders.

A 1942 GPW and 1991 Isuzu Trooper.

I am also looking for a Defender,FJ62 and a Patrol.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 3rd May 2011 at 16:32.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:26   #10
BHPian

Hi Doc.
Amazing 'History Taking'. So, now you know what is the meaning of 'It is a Jeep Thing'. It must have been an overwhelming experience to finally laying your hands on a true blue MM540. I am sure rebuliding it would be an even greater pleasure.
Please do post many pics of the vehicle, not only the finished one, but also pics of times when it was undergoing the transformation. Eagerly looking forward to it.
Enjoy your ride.

Regards.
Old 4th May 2011, 01:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ah Dr. Jekyll - Welcome to the wonderland of Jeeps! Now I am glued to this thread too. Make sure you photograph each and every part of the surgery... Oops restoration I meant!
Old 4th May 2011, 07:18   #12
BANNED

@madhkris; same story here ,( though I am not a doctor )

My passion is Automobile & machinery but my business is something different (catering/event management) so is my family background ( Dad was a politician ) & education ( Law ) .

One should take call of his heart & follow his passions along with business /professions & any other thing . Whenever I tried not to take such call ( due to other priorities ) I suffered .

Now I have learnt to manage my Passion with all other compulsions & priorities , So now I am happy . Though I do need to make many compromises to achive what I want .

Best of luck for your project , I wish you will find a place to relax & unwind

Sudarshan

P.S. Please dont hesitate to ask for any help .( we share FB also ) .
Old 4th May 2011, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Doc,

Welcome to the Jeeper's world, I'm glad finally you hooked to a Jeep. I was expecting this to happen bit earlier

Congratulations!
Old 4th May 2011, 09:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Madhu,
It was a very well explained diagnosis of the Jeep syndrome, mechanically and medically understood by many of us Jeepers who go through this incurable mid life syndrome.

The body looks good inspite of its age, an original 4WD and all else looks in place. Looking forward to the final build and completion.
Regards,
Sir,
Very true Sir. The restoration is coming up well and thanks to you too for all the help in procuring many items for my Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
....Do you want to do a Alfred Hitchcock type suspense or a Indian Flashback story (reveal final pics at 1st itself?)
Well we've seen lots of Bolly masala; guess its time for some Hitchcock suspense..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Great narration Doc. And how true you are regarding the Jeep syndrome, went through the same symptoms two years back till the cure occurred.... Enjoy the rebuild experience...
Kandisa,
Really enjoying the rebuild. Your thread is an inspiration for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Super thread, eagerly waiting for the updates Heard jeep has come out really well.
Jaggu,
Thanks for the encouragement. Its still on its way. Like Santosh said, our tryst with the tinkerer/ painter was like a TV Soap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Acute Infectious Jeep Syndrome.

Well mate,you are not the only one here (medico) to get this deadly infectious syndrome. I got infected long time back ...I am also looking for a Defender,FJ62 and a Patrol.
Doc Silverwood,
Looks like we both had a cross-infection!! BTW, you have a good collection already and are also on the lookout for some great off-roaders!! Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Hi Doc.
Amazing 'History Taking'. So, now you know what is the meaning of 'It is a Jeep Thing'. It must have been an overwhelming experience to finally laying your hands on a true blue MM540. I am sure rebuliding it would be an even greater pleasure.
Please do post many pics of the vehicle, not only the finished one, but also pics of times when it was undergoing the transformation. Eagerly looking forward to it.
Enjoy your ride.

Regards.
Sir,
Very true Sir! I guess I can tell other now; It's a Jeep Thing! I will be posting all the pics here regularly adn hope to learn a lot. Read your thread on Thar and liked it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Ah Dr. Jekyll - Welcome to the wonderland of Jeeps! Now I am glued to this thread too. Make sure you photograph each and every part of the surgery... Oops restoration I meant!
Hi Shubz,
Surely I will post a lot of snaps before and after the Jeep Surgery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
@madhkris; same story here ,( though I am not a doctor )

My passion is Automobile & machinery but my business is something different (catering/event management) so is my family background ( Dad was a politician ) & education ( Law ) .

One should take call of his heart & follow his passions along with business /professions & any other thing . Whenever I tried not to take such call ( due to other priorities ) I suffered .

Now I have learnt to manage my Passion with all other compulsions & priorities , So now I am happy . Though I do need to make many compromises to achive what I want .

Best of luck for your project , I wish you will find a place to relax & unwind

Sudarshan

P.S. Please dont hesitate to ask for any help .( we share FB also ) .
Sudarshan Sir,
Thanks for the nice words and yes it does take a lot to follow one's passion. I am here to learn and need a lot of guidance from Seniors. Thanks for offering.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats !!

540 is best platform for offroader as its small & parts are available almost every where. (new/old)
also many alternate options are available too. (Engines, GB's, TC's)

are you kipping it stock or some modifying?

wishing best luck for project.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 4th May 2011 at 09:42.

Most Viewed