Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 17:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

@Shrivz, I liked the Illusions in @razors car. The only reason I am parking them for the moment are for potential waybill issues in getting them into West Bengal. If I can get someone to personally bring them from Mumbai ... or I'll also speak to the installer here and see if he can get them.

Next option is 607. So I'm planning around those for the moment.

@Shrivz, @LBM , HU upgrade AND 75.4 at the same time is way out of my current budget. Buttt, just out of curiosity (Yes, I know it kills cats and ICE newbies ) -
a. What basic HU would you recommend ? I play only CD's. MP3's rarely. No Video requirement. No USB requirement. No iPod connectivity requirement. No fancy features required. What would be a plain good old CD player ?
Edit - I mean a cheap good CD Player. Recall reading that Gunbir has a similarly specc'ed Clarion costing 4 times my budget !!

b. How much, if at all, will I get as an exchange price for the Kenwood 4029 ?

@Hydra - Regret to say that the pts you ask me to consider do make sense !!! I've thought about and fought against the 75.4. I'll reserve a decision here, till I get a quote from the dealer.

You say that the 60.4 does not have an aux out. If so let alone a monoblock for a future sub, will I be able to connect the current active Soomoku ?

@Razor, you HAD to open the Pandora's box with the 75.4 ???? Well, well, since you have, how much did you get it for with B&W ?

Last edited by shuvc : 9th August 2007 at 17:57.
Old 9th August 2007, 18:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Then do not spend much and go for 4950 (3 preout) or 3950 (2 preout)...it will be light on pocket.
Old 9th August 2007, 18:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@Shrivz, I liked the Illusions in @razors car. The only reason I am parking them for the moment are for potential waybill issues in getting them into West Bengal. If I can get someone to personally bring them from Mumbai ... or I'll also speak to the installer here and see if he can get them.
Don't think Vinay can get them for you. Would suggest you have a chat with Ajay (B&T) once and see if he can work out something for the transportation. I don't think he was familiar with this waybill issue in WB, so he didn't plan for it in my case... now he knows

Quote:
@Razor, you HAD to open the Pandora's box with the 75.4 ???? Well, well, since you have, how much did you get it for with B&W ?
What?? I opened Pandora's box??
75.4 will cost around 12k with B&W, a little less without. I'll suggest you go for it over the 60.4. Quoting you - "Penny wise, pound foolish"!!
Old 9th August 2007, 18:55   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Then do not spend much and go for 4950 (3 preout) or 3950 (2 preout)...it will be light on pocket.
How light ? Approx prices w/o B&W ?

Also, is there any chance of getting say 2K for the Kenwood in exchange ?
Old 9th August 2007, 19:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, is there any chance of getting say 2K for the Kenwood in exchange ?
You are kidding right?
Old 9th August 2007, 20:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Shrivz, @LBM , HU upgrade AND 75.4 at the same time is way out of my current budget. Buttt, just out of curiosity (Yes, I know it kills cats and ICE newbies ) -
a. What basic HU would you recommend ? I play only CD's. MP3's rarely. No Video requirement. No USB requirement. No iPod connectivity requirement. No fancy features required. What would be a plain good old CD player ?
Edit - I mean a cheap good CD Player. Recall reading that Gunbir has a similarly specc'ed Clarion costing 4 times my budget !!

b. How much, if at all, will I get as an exchange price for the Kenwood 4029 ?
You have been smitten

1) I'd second LBM on the HU. At the entry-level, nothing can beat the Pios on VFM. Maybe JVC can also be considered, but I'd personally back those Pios.

2) You'll get zilch for the Kenwood HU. If you do upgrade the HU, keep the Kenwood with you. When you sell the car, swap the new HU with the Kenwood. You can use the new HU with your next car. I'd do the same with the current front speakers.

Quote:
@Hydra - Regret to say that the pts you ask me to consider do make sense !!! I've thought about and fought against the 75.4. I'll reserve a decision here, till I get a quote from the dealer.

You say that the 60.4 does not have an aux out. If so let alone a monoblock for a future sub, will I be able to connect the current active Soomoku ?
Not that much of a problem:

a) I think the 60.4 takes speaker-level input, so you can use that to feed the amp. The pre-out will feed the soomoku.

b) And anyway, it looks like the CS60.4 lets you daisy-chain amps. The FX Audio website says that the 60.4 has full range pre-amp outputs. "Full-range preamp outputs – In the event that multiple amplifiers are used in an application, this feature allows for streamlined system hookup."

So no issues. A 'Y' splitter and 2 pairs of RCAs will feed the amp from the single pre-out. The 60.4's aux-out can be used to feed the soomoku.
Old 9th August 2007, 20:20   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it does have an aux out. You will be able to connect the active subwoofer, no problem.
Old 9th August 2007, 23:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hi Doc! Long time no hear. Good to hear about the Hertz speakers that you've purchased. When do we get a demo?
As far as the waybill issues are concerned, I have seen it is a matter of luck. Sometimes they hold up your stuff, sometimes they don't. This is applicable to Speed Post, Courier, JetCargo, surface transport.. whatever.
I was unlucky on most counts with the stuff I had to ship in for the Lancer, but clearly there are exceptions (as in your case!).
Post some pics when the install is done.
Hi Razor! Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the shipments. Your Lancer is looking beautiful though. So I guess all's well that ends well. I am hoping to get my ICE installation done this weekend.
OT - Any plans for a mini meet on 15th Aug? Sorry to have missed out on the earlier ones.
Old 10th August 2007, 00:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Phew ! At this rate I'll soon need to request for a change of the thread title. Partial ICE upgrade, eh !??

So now we are discussing -
Pio 2950/3950/4950 - 4K to 5.5 K ? What are the prices ?
GTO 607C - 6K
GTO 75.4 - 12K
Wiring - 2K

Total 25K. That's good going - system cost doubled in around 30hrs since my post

Say I go for the 75.4. It will be driving the front compos and the rears. Will the puny Kenwood rears (130W max, presumably 30-40W RMS) be able to handle the dollops of power doled out by the 75.4 ?

@shuvd - I ain't kidding. Just dreaming a bit
Old 10th August 2007, 00:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Total 25K. That's good going - system cost doubled in around 30hrs since my post
This is the world of ICE. It is better to stay away from it or dive into it.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Say I go for the 75.4. It will be driving the front compos and the rears. Will the puny Kenwood rears (130W max, presumably 30-40W RMS) be able to handle the dollops of power doled out by the 75.4 ?
Yes, no problem. Remember to use the HPF though.
Old 10th August 2007, 10:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sam. Another Q. Please bear with me - just trying to have a better understanding.

The 607s are rated at 70W RMS @ 2ohms. The 75.4 is 104 W at 4 ohms.
The Kenwood is a 4 ohm speaker.

a. So there is no problem if the amp is driving 2 sets of speakers of different impedance ?

b. When the 75.4 is driving the 2 ohm 607s, what will be it's ouput power ? More than 104 ? Based on your earlier reply, can I presume that the large difference in amp output power and rated speaker RMS, is not an issue ?

c. Which is the lowest model of Infinity 6.5" components currently available ? 6010cs or 6020cs ? And what's the cost with B&W ?
Old 10th August 2007, 11:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
a. So there is no problem if the amp is driving 2 sets of speakers of different impedance ?
Sorry to butt in and answer Sam's questions.

There is no problem with driving different impedances so long as the impedances are within the amp's lowest manageable impedance rating. Lower impedances will cause more power to be delivered to those speakers, but this can be either used to your benefit, or tamed by adjusting gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
b. When the 75.4 is driving the 2 ohm 607s, what will be it's ouput power ? More than 104 ? Based on your earlier reply, can I presume that the large difference in amp output power and rated speaker RMS, is not an issue ?
The 607s are not 'true' 2 ohms, if I remember correctly from some older discussions. They work fine on head units. The 75.4 will put out more power to a 2 ohm load, but considering that the amp is already 100 x 4 continuous @ 4 ohms, I doubt you'll be using the extra available power, if any.
Old 10th August 2007, 11:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 607s are rated at 70W RMS @ 2ohms. The 75.4 is 104 W at 4 ohms.
The Kenwood is a 4 ohm speaker.

c. Which is the lowest model of Infinity 6.5" components currently available ? 6010cs or 6020cs ? And what's the cost with B&W ?
a. not really each channel of the amp is seeing a seperte speaker 2 channels see a 607, 2 see the kenwood.

b. the 607 is more a 3 ohm speaker than a 2 ohm speaker. the 75.4 will put out a bit more at 3 ohms than at 2 ohms but dont worry about that.

c. 6020 has replaced the 6010.

Regards
Bob
Old 10th August 2007, 11:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
the 75.4 will put out a bit more at 3 ohms than at 2 ohms but dont worry about that.
I know you mean it will put out just a bit more at 3 Ohms than at 4 Ohms.

Most Viewed