Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2007, 13:33   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Heard that the volvo's cost excess of 70 lakhs. Got this info from the driver himself.
May be more cost-efficient to buy one of Ratan Tata's 1 lakh cars for each of the passengers in the Volvo bus, and also give them a kitty for their first year's operating expenses! And did I hear someone saying that public transport is more efficient?!!!!
Old 26th July 2007, 15:00   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naditya
Heard that the volvo's cost excess of 70 lakhs. Got this info from the driver himself.
I never believe drivers.
They always over-price the vehicles they drive.
Old 26th July 2007, 16:58   #183
BHPian

Perspective of the Kerala Boy who was Bus/Truck crazy (When 1210s and Comet/Vikings ruled)

All the local trucks that carried the timber out from the village and materials in were Tata, 1210D, 1210S and 1210SE. And some old ones that were the original Benz branded onces, but with the tata logo added aftermarket. Then there were the WW2 age Fords that were smaller. Also there were dodges, studebakers, chevrolets which were looked with contempt by us kids.

Then there were what we used to call the "Tamil Nadu" trucks, which were always AL, Comet or Viking. We were excited to see them, not only because their appearance is rare, but also their front looked like Buses. We read the "Kerala Tamil Nadu Pondy Karnataka" listing on the side and look in awe!

All the local buses were Tata. 1210D and then later 1210E. People used to say that the 1210SE truck is a 1210S with an E engine. They looked the same for sure. The long distance buses, mostly running to high ranges were invariably AL.

We always considered the ALs to be better buses. The village wisdom is, Tata is suitable for frequent stops, because their engine and gearbox are lighter. AL will accelerate only slowly, but will run faster and more comfy. The buses had names, and the owners and drivers are known. Each had reputations too. So, in an environment devoid of entertainment, the fast buses and drivers were heros.

The tourist buses (Contract carriage to be precise) were invariably AL. No one would rent a tata tourist bus. The tatas used to send a spine numbing vibration up at speeds more than 50km

Those were the days..
Old 26th July 2007, 17:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I never believe drivers.
They always over-price the vehicles they drive.
All drivers?
Old 6th August 2007, 08:11   #185
Senior - BHPian

The Lorry ( tractor ) rear

The rear (those balloons (what do we call them?) are for the air suspension for the rear most axle)

The rear suspension - bottom view (see the suspension of the leaf, which holds the rear axle)

The rear suspension - top view, see the shocker, as well as the same mounting points as seen from top

Front support for the leaf

Is that a tracking/locating arm? (The axle before this, has just the reverse arrangement, i.e left end connected to frame rail, right end to the axle housing.)

Peek-a-boo onto the front of the front suspension (rear of the front suspension was a simple hook-up to the metal frame which the camera could not manage to capture). Front suspension looks like pure leaf, although the cab is suspended on air, on top of the frame.

Thats how we see those trucks (and say oh its just a truck!)

When you see this on your RVM better move over!

Experts please start your engines

Last edited by 1100D : 6th August 2007 at 08:31.
Old 6th August 2007, 17:49   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The Lorry ( tractor ) rear
The rear (those balloons (what do we call them?) are for the air suspension for the rear most axle)

The rear suspension - bottom view (see the suspension of the leaf, which holds the rear axle)

The rear suspension - top view, see the shocker, as well as the same mounting points as seen from top

Front support for the leaf

Is that a tracking/locating arm? (The axle before this, has just the reverse arrangement, i.e left end connected to frame rail, right end to the axle housing.)

Called as Air bags
The mini leaf in the rear acts more as a trailing arm
The cross car beam is the track bar
Old 6th August 2007, 21:37   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Called as Air bags
The mini leaf in the rear acts more as a trailing arm
So there is no flexing on this arm. I was thinking this was a first level of spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The cross car beam is the track bar
The track bar on this goes from right to left on the rearmost axle and left to right on the axle in front of it. This is there to mostly transfoer lateral forces onto the truckframe. However what about trucks that have a single rear axle? they have 2 track bars for the single rear axle ?
Old 10th August 2007, 10:16   #188
BHPian

No idea mate.. I'm into Engines @ AL
Old 10th August 2007, 12:02   #189
BHPian

Special High Speed fire trucks at MBP , waiting to be transported to delhi .

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 10th August 2007 at 12:04.
Old 10th August 2007, 12:24   #190
BHPian

wow, these look mean, any specs you got on this?

They sure are going to stop a lot of things from burning down i say
Old 10th August 2007, 12:28   #191
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Looks real nice!! Seems like Delhi Airport is going all high-tech!
Old 10th August 2007, 13:00   #192
Senior - BHPian

I believe even TN has ordered a handful of these "ferrari" firetrucks.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:12   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I believe even TN has ordered a handful of these "ferrari" firetrucks.
Currently the new ones are imported Iveco's. Looks very trendy as compared to old ones.
Old 10th August 2007, 14:11   #194
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hormaz View Post
wow, these look mean, any specs you got on this?
They sure are going to stop a lot of things from burning down i say

This is the 31-ton Rosenbauer Panther CA-5 six-wheel-drive airport rescue and firefighting vehicle. It is Euro-3 compliant.

It is powered by a Caterpillar diesel engine that develops 705 bhp @ 2100 rpm. It can reach 120 km/h and accelerate 0 to 80 km/h in 32 seconds, while carrying nearly 24 tons of water. It has a twin-disc 6-speed automatic gearbox.

The laser-cut aluminium body has steel fenders and FRP add-ons, huge windows and revolving glass doors. It carries a driver and three firemen.

It is equipped with a 12,000 litre polypropylene water tank, a 12,000 litre foam tank with 1,500 litres of foaming agent plus a 135 kg dry powder unit to fight all types of fires.

To protect the vehicle itself from the burning aircraft's flames, it has ground sweep nozzles which cover it completely.

Ram
Old 10th August 2007, 14:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
Special High Speed fire trucks at MBP , waiting to be transported to delhi .

mad monkey its great that you could hunt it down
its amazing how you manage to find trucksi remember the MAN trucks you had posted ,thanks for the pics
but tell me how many such trucks are there at present (i can see one more parked nearby)or how many have been ordered?

And which company/brand is this? Does it belong to some existing well known brand? i dont know anything about these trucks
(Even though i am a truck enthusiast )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks