Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which looks better to YOU ?
Baleno 110 46.22%
SX4 128 53.78%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 13:27   #1
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Looks comparison: Baleno and SX4

Hi friends:

When Maruti determined to discontinue production of the Baleno, they encouraged potential buyers to consider another type of vehicle launched around the same time. They positioned the tall crossover SX4 in the three-box family sedan space.

Sales volumes rose as the Indian buyer's enthusiasm affirmed the car's value for money proposition in the competitive scene. With the Baleno gone, nothing else offered that much car, for that much money anymore.

Being SUV-based, the the SX4's highway manners, ease of parking and slalom handling were somewhat less-than-Baleno, but we lay some emphasis on looks too.

So, I always wanted to compare a Baleno and an SX4 side by side from the perspective of looks, sleekness, stance, width, height, ....

Early this morning, finding a colleague's SX4 parked next to my Baleno in my office parking-lot, I went ahead and snapped a couple of pics with my phone.

The idea: to invite your comments...

Ram
Old 27th November 2007, 13:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Baleno is much more sedan-like whereas the SX4 seems to be very confused about what it wants to be. But if looks are kept aside, the SX4 has addressed a major concern of the Baleno - ground clearance. The SX4 can be taken to places where somebody would think many times to take a baleno. but as far the feel of a sedan is considered IMO Baleno is way ahead. actually they cater to different segments and different needs. its a pity that maruti discontinued Baleno to make way for SX4. IMO they could have been sold parallely till a better version of Baleno was introduced.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just look at the third picture. It doesn't even look like two sedans are pictured. The SX4 looks huge enough to be mistaken for an SUV. In fact, it looks like an SUV parked next to a Baleno.

IMO, Baleno looks much much better than the SX4, but looks are subjective. Even though I don't think Baleno is (one of the) the best looking sedan(s), I think there is no comparison between these two.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Baleno looks more sportier with his low slung stance while the SX4 looks tall and comfortable.

Definitely maruti could have kept a place for baleno in the market and looked at phasing out esteem rather than baleno.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:08   #5
BHPian

to me SX4 is new defination of sedan baleno ohc were good for their times
Old 27th November 2007, 14:14   #6
BHPian

I like SX4 more as well - just looks wise, not sure about preference.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is a nice sedan no doubt about this. But looks wise, I prefer a sx4 to Baleno. But this is subjective and depends on individual. Normally, sedans have a common problem of GC which is very important nonwadays with humps appearing out of nowhere (overnight) and potholes the less said the better. In sx4 that has been taken care of with all the instruments & safety feature inside.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:50   #8
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...Normally, sedans have a common problem of GC which is very important nowadays with humps appearing out of nowhere (overnight) and potholes the less said the better.
OT: Comfortable cars come with long wheelbases and soft suspensions. Globally, Cadillacs and Lincolns rule the roost in the comfort department. However, these moving living rooms are known to high center and scrape their bottoms, while exiting an underground parking lot.

Ground clearance was also definitely an issue with the Contessa and also with my Mumbai-spec Padmini S1 with the catalytic converter. Would scrape bottom on speed bumps when carrying four adult passengers.

But does that justify the world moving to SUVs and trucks?

I was not aware of a GC problem with the Baleno. Maybe Balenos with 14-inch alloys ride a little taller than those with 13-inch wheels.

My home in Pune and four of my offices in Pune have underground parking lots and I have never ever scraped bottom while cresting the ramp on the way out.
Old 27th November 2007, 14:51   #9
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...In sx4 that has been taken care of with all the instruments & safety feature inside.
Sorry, I did not understand that. How do instruments and safety feature
take care of humps and potholes?
Old 27th November 2007, 15:02   #10
BHPian

I don't like either of them. Baleno looks a bit meek for a sedan and Sx4 looks a bit too much.
Old 27th November 2007, 15:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I was not aware of a GC problem with the Baleno. Maybe Balenos with 14-inch alloys ride a little taller than those with 13-inch wheels.
I don't think an increase of 0.95 mm in GC can solve the issue.
Old 27th November 2007, 15:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

IMO, those who like the wedge shaped designs will like the Baleno. Cab forward or tall boy lovers will like the SX4.

I prefer wedge. Guess that's why I like the Octy more than the Lolla - although the Lolla is probably not that high but still, the Octy has more of the low slung look. The old Lancer is my favourite.
Old 27th November 2007, 16:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

The pic shows the sx4 to look like one family car wheras the baleno is like one for the race lover. Looks wise i prefer the sx4 better but give a better design to baleno and i will vote for it
Old 27th November 2007, 16:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

looks are subjective and all transformations are for good.imagine how you looked 15 yrs back.but sx4 is far more user oriented considering what that car is meant for.higher gc and seating is one advantage in sx4.loaded with features to the brim,sx4 has been a good job done by the msil guys.

ram
Old 27th November 2007, 16:25   #15
BHPian

If I exaggerate my feelings, it looks like if Contessa Classic is parked side by side to Grande Vitara.

Most Viewed