Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Ambitious trip? Coastal Karntaka from Blr.. plz help plan route

Hello everyone,

This long weekend, thought we would do the Blr-hampi but had to drop it since we couldnt get through to the place we were looking to stay... dint want to take a chance going there and searching for a hotel.

Now we are planning a rather ambitious trip to see jog falls and then hit the coasts of karnataka.. I know that Gokarna might be a deviation so not really intending to take it.

We plan to visit Jog falls, Honnemardu, Murudeshwar, Maravanthe, Udupi and kudremukh.. (not in the order mentioned, which is why i need help!)

leave sat morning 4 am and need to be back tuesday noon/evening

So will the kind souls at T Bhp tell me decide what route to take.. And I am travelling in one of the smallest cars on the face of the planet... a Zen sitting on 12s.. lol
and yeah, 12 more hours to hit the road... I will be forever indebted.. and i promise to post a travelogue with pictures.. help us!

P.S: I have travelled south of BLR extensively and know kerala and TN roads, pretty much like the back of my hands... but i havent ventured beyond haledeedu/belur towards the west coast...
Old 29th August 2008, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not the following itinerary?

Hyderabad-Kurnool-Anantapur-Penukonda-Pavagada-Challakere-Chitradurga-Hollalkere-Channagiri-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Sirsi-Kumta-Gokarna-Kumta-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bhatkal-Maravanthe-Kundapura-Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Tumkur-Dodballapur-Penukonda-Anantapur-Kurnool-Hyderabad?

Lots of ideas for sightseeing off this route.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

I just did this route last weekend and came back on tuesday.

National Horror 17 ( NH-17 - courtesy Samurai ) is in its final stages. Will kick the bucket anytime soon.

hvkumar has given you the route till Jog and beyond.

Jog to Murudeshwar is a scenic drive via Honnavar and the roads are in motorable condition. Watch out for those occasional fallen trees and landslides.

Murudeshwar to Maravanthe/Kundapur the stretch is pretty ok except for the large sized pot-holes which can swallow a buses wheel 3/4th. I mean they are so deep. Watch out !!

Kundapur to Udupi is nothing short of the moons surface, actually that's an understatement. Take a look

Ambitious trip? Coastal Karntaka from Blr.. plz help plan route-dsc_0656.jpg

Ambitious trip? Coastal Karntaka from Blr.. plz help plan route-dsc_0657.jpg

Ambitious trip? Coastal Karntaka from Blr.. plz help plan route-dsc_0659.jpg

Ambitious trip? Coastal Karntaka from Blr.. plz help plan route-dsc_0675.jpg
Old 29th August 2008, 17:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

What a National Horror it is... Avoid this trail if you can until December when they fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Kundapur to Udupi is nothing short of the moons surface, actually that's an understatement. Take a look
Riju liked this part so much, he did this stretch 3 times in two days.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

what the beautiful horror road of shining India.
its shame.
i wonder, people of mangalore don't make any noise about this road.
where is national highway authority of India?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 29th August 2008 at 17:41.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:43   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@Riju, i didn't find the road that i see in the pictures that bad. Yes, they are a bit rough but nothing compared to the road that i took while my drive to goa on the Londa ghat during a monsoon time a couple of years ago. It was deep craters a few meters and HUGE boulders another few meters, in alternate for all this route.

Besides, it was raining hard and craters were full of water and each time car crosses that it is almost half immersed.

I can easily rate that as worst stretch of 25kms that i ever covered in my entire life. It took me 6 hours to cover 25km with continous driving, so imagine.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

This patch of NH at one time was a real beauty. My first NH to drive on was this one. What a pleasure was it. I am deeply saddened looking at the state its in now. I pity your zen buddy but be brave.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:02   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Riju, i didn't find the road that i see in the pictures that bad.
Actually he has shot the good parts. Last year Arka who was coming down from Goa, took a detour at Kumta once he realised the road was too much for him. To be fair he was driving the Fiesta.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

From Sakleshpur onwards the horror begins, wonder whats wrong with NHAI, saw some bit of work happening on Shiradi...

the best part is the drain work is happening now on shiradi i,e after the roads has gone for a toss people have started work on drains.....

Its a sad story!
Old 29th August 2008, 19:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Riju, i didn't find the road that i see in the pictures that bad. Yes, they are a bit rough but nothing compared to the road that i took while my drive to goa on the Londa ghat during a monsoon time a couple of years ago. It was deep craters a few meters and HUGE boulders another few meters, in alternate for all this route.

Besides, it was raining hard and craters were full of water and each time car crosses that it is almost half immersed.

I can easily rate that as worst stretch of 25kms that i ever covered in my entire life. It took me 6 hours to cover 25km with continous driving, so imagine.
Avi' like Samurai said the pic's really doesn't do any justice to portray the actual condition of this road. Its nothing short of an off-roading trip, believe it or not we put the car in 1st gear took our leg off the accelerator and let the car roll slowly. It was that bad.

To top it up the private buses honking non-stop from behind and then a smart dude from the opp' side decides to come your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What a National Horror it is... Avoid this trail if you can until December when they fix it.

Riju liked this part so much, he did this stretch 3 times in two days.
LOL Sharat Mallik did the honors on both the days .
Old 29th August 2008, 20:17   #11
BHPian

[quote=hvkumar;958084]Why not the following itinerary?

Hyderabad-Kurnool-Anantapur-Penukonda-Pavagada-Challakere-Chitradurga-Hollalkere-Channagiri-Shimoga-Jog Falls-Sirsi-Kumta-Gokarna-Kumta-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bhatkal-Maravanthe-Kundapura-Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Mudigere-Belur-Hassan-Tumkur-Dodballapur-Penukonda-Anantapur-Kurnool-Hyderabad?

Thanks a lot for the route... Sounds great.. I saw these places in my lil travel book.. amazing.. Thanks again .. except since we are doing a Blr-Blr trip.. i have made slight adjustments to the route.. planning to hit Jog first, as planned.. overnight stay near Jog.. I am a little doubtful about "kumta-Gokarna-kumta" because we are kinda averse to having to take a detour.. planning to visit the rest of the places on route to udupi on sunday.. overnight at udupi.. then decide monday's plan on sunday!!!

@rjstyles- the roads are bad.. but hey.. i live in bangalore... so we have seen it all!! ;-) Oh BTW, I remember now.. I have been west of BLR.. I remember like it was yesterday... Bekal - Kasargod - Mangalore - Sakleshpur - Hassan in Jan 2008... Yup... Mangalore Sakleshpur highway could be promoted as a trekking route!!! Hideous craters... I thought George W found weapons of mass destruction in those hills and bombed the living daylights out of it!!!
Old 30th August 2008, 22:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why not the following itinerary?

Lots of ideas for sightseeing off this route.
Guess he's looking for the route from Bangalore and not from Hyderabad. The title of the post says so...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks