Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 09:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)

Hola folks

Am back after a wonderful trip to coastal Karnataka. The whole trip was a mixed bag of events which never deterred us from promising to go back to Coastal Karnataka for the unadulterated experience (minus the bad roads).

My banter

Day 1 : Friday the 22nd of August

Wake up by 4am and as decided the previous night after multiple calls with my friend Mallik we decide to leave Bangalore by 5 am. Apparently this never happens and we leave only by about 5:30am.

Hit NH-4 only to find its traffic clogged towards Bangalore and some of the revered drivers as usual end up using the wrong side of the road to beat the traffic.

We continue our drive cruising and cursing these imbeciles for their sheer ignorance towards traffic etiquette's.1st stop is for breakfast at Kyatasandra for the thatte idlis. Savor on the thatte idilis and we are off cruising on NH4 again.

With our bellies full we are enjoying the pleasure of the good roads with the breeze in our hair from Tumkur and beyond. Somewhere between Tumkur and Gubbi we hit the 1st obstacle in our journey.

The car hits a boulder which was left back by some moron whose vehicle had broken down. The stone was pretty well camouflaged with leaves strewn around. I hardly had time to react and avoid the boulder since a NHC had just cut across my path in an attempt to overtake me, he swerved to the right and managed to avoid the boulder.

We were at the receiving end and hit the stone real hard.(Please note I wasn’t tailing him).

Was left with a busted rim(rear left) and a bruised ego.Mallik and I walked back and cleared the boulder off the road, searched for the alloy lip and no luck. Got the spare tyre on and decided to continue with our journey. Deep down inside of me I was cursing the dude whoever left the boulder on the road.

Realized it was time let go off this mishap and continue our drive since our families were with us. Cut down on my speed and was hovering around 90-100kmph.

Further on in the journey we hit a bad a patch of road between Kadur and Tarikere.Its just a few kms and is manageable. Take it easy and you should be thru with the bad stretch without much problems.

Time for a few pictures

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0043-medium.jpg

Yes we had good roads too.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0048-medium.jpg

Attachment 43526

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0068-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0069-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0073-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0091-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0097-medium.jpg

During the drive called up Ravi (ravibhat) asking for a shop where I could get a tube installed in the battered alloy. Ravi thanks much for your help buddy. I found a shop at Shimoga called MRT tyres and got the tube installed from there. Well our need for the hour was to find a well equipped shop that had the hydraulic machine to remove the tyre from the rim and install a tube.

(Dint wanna try any roadside shops since most of these chaps follow the crude method of separating the tire and alloy)

By 2pm our bellies were rumbling again and decided to have lunch at Ashoka in Shimoga town. Pretty good food and their restrooms were also pretty clean. Advisable to stop here if you are travelling this way.

Next stop was at the infamous Talaguppa Railway Station before reaching jog.A few pictures from Talaguppa Railway station and Jog falls.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0103-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0106-medium.jpg

How I miss watching Malgudi Days .Gave them a touch of Sepia to add that retro look.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0112-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0115-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0118-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0126-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0140-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0152-medium.jpg

After our stop at Jog we took the Honnavar route to reach Murudeshwar. Landslides and fallen trees are in abundance on this route. So watch out and re-consider if you plan to night driving through this route.

Shot somewhere along the Honnavar -Murudeshwar stretch.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0165-medium.jpg

By about 6pm we are at Murudeshwar and checked into RNS Yatri Nivas, dinner was at Naveen Beach Resort. Hit the sack by about 11pm and call it a day since we planned to leave to Kundapur the next morning.

The car performed exceptionally without missing a single beat and yes occasionally we redlined her the moment we found a good patch. The sound of the free flow in the ghats when revved is to die for.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0181-medium.jpg

Route Taken : Bangalore-- Nelamangala--Tumkur--Gubbi--Tiptur--Arasikere--Kadur--Birur--Bhadravathi--Shimoga--Sagara--Jog--Honnavar--Murudeshwara.

Distance : 492kms.
to be continued …. My Sojourn has only started .

Old 30th August 2008, 09:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow, those are some wonderful compositions, great use of wide angle. I need to get myself a wide angle now.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:59   #3
BANNED

Oye! Our man is back at coastal Karnataka.
This time as usual, some nice pictures Riju. Good use of words is interesting to read thru.

Keep it up! Keep it up!
Old 30th August 2008, 10:06   #4
BHPian

Phenominal pics!. Wow!
Talaguppa railway station is a must visit. Just takes us back a hundred years!! Not sure if the railbus has stopped now. Amazing ride. It took about 2 hours to reach Shimoga .... Unforgettable experience indeed.
Old 30th August 2008, 10:21   #5
BHPian

Wonderful Camera work.
Good writeup and eagerly waiting to see some more pics.

Cheers,
Raps
Old 30th August 2008, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics, Riju.!!
Keep them coming.
Old 30th August 2008, 14:14   #7
BHPian

Superb Pics and narration !!! Waiting for the next ones.

- Chandra
Old 30th August 2008, 14:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Laavly pics boss. Superb colors as well. What camwa?
Old 30th August 2008, 15:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

PHEW! Those are phenomenal pictures! Keep it coming!
Old 30th August 2008, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good going with Photos and writeup Riju, its awasome stretch to drive in rainy season to Murdeshwara, Bad roads here and there can be neglected with rejoysing scenary.

I wish roads are in good shape we could have adventures a lot! Bad roads stopping me to explore the places these days.

Keep them coming!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS Shimoga has couple of decent tyre shops, They sell most of the brands of tyres and Alloys.
Old 30th August 2008, 17:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Hola folks

Am back after a wonderful trip to coastal Karnataka. The whole trip was a mixed bag of events which never deterred us from promising to go back to Coastal Karnataka for the unadulterated experience (minus the bad roads).

Very nice photos taken on route ....keep up the travel plans...include Uttaranchal in your future plans....

Uday Naik

Note From Support Staff: Please do not quote the entire long post for replying

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th August 2008 at 20:43. Reason: See note in post
Old 30th August 2008, 20:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

There you go Riju, I was waiting for this travelogue. Nice writeup

Must say amazing pics !! Keep them coming !!

Abhi
Old 30th August 2008, 20:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Riju: Nice travelogue. Absolutely stunning photos. BTW whatz the make of camera? Keep them coming...
Old 30th August 2008, 22:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys thanks much for your compliments, its quite encouraging.Our Armour for the whole trip will be revealed in the end. Thanks again .

Day 2 : 23rd of August

Wake up 6:30am and walk out to my rooms balcony to get a view of the sea and the beach. If you guys have stayed in RNS you probably would know that the rooms are elevated and built on a huge rock.

My much awaited cup of coffee arrives and I open the balcony door , here is what I get to see.
Spend good 45 mins oogling and leching at gods creation which we humans call the beach. I cud sit all day there and watch life pass by without feeling bored.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0189-medium.jpg

These pics have been shot at 300mm from the Sigma 70-300mm APO II DG Macro. Pretty impressive for a noisy lens.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0192-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0194-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0209-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0213-medium.jpg

Wake up Mallik and ask him also to click a few pics while the ladies are still sleeping. Time to awaken the ladies since its already 7:30am and hot water supply to the rooms stop at 8:30am. By 9am we are ready to check out of RNS Yatri Nivas , by then the women head over to the temple for their darshan.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0226-medium.jpg

By about 9:30am we are back on NH-17 maneuvering and avoiding pot holes with Kundapur being our destination. Fill up the car at a bunk near Bhatkal and by about 11am we at are Turtle Bay.

Shot on NH-17.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0229-medium.jpg

Check-in, order for breakfast and none of us could really wait to hit the beach. The plan for today is pretty simple : eat n play n sleep n eat n play , after all that's what we are here for.

We call for a masseuse for the ladies at 3:30pm and start playing volleyball in a small creek which flows inland from the sea during high tide.

Our personal space

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0276-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0279-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0274-medium.jpg

By about 3pm I have managed to tan every inch of skin and none of us had any energy left in us. Decided to call it a day at the sea and have lunch. I gulped a beer while waiting for lunch to be served.Had lunch and the ladies left for their much awaited massage while me and Mallik caught up with some sleep.

Soujanya 1 and Soujanya 2.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0336-medium.jpg

Woke up just in time for the sunset. Was already toying the idea of silhouettes and what better model than Mallik himself. Got him to pose for the camera and went click click.

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0368-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0374-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0377-medium.jpg

Travelogue :Coastal Karnataka Keeps calling me back ( Murudeshwara and Kundapura)-dsc_0391-medium.jpg

Buddy thanks for being that much needed model to pose and not cribbing about the stances I asked you for.

By now its 6:45pm and the sun just goes down the horizon (Sunsets are pretty late here) . Have a quick bath and then as usual there was mayhem with some call center dude's( I was told HSBC bangalore) who have landed here creating ruckus. I was in the state of mind to whack one of these dude's if needed.

However we decide to order for dinner and I gulp a few more beers. By 10pm call it a day and crash.

to be continued..
Old 31st August 2008, 00:05   #15
BHPian

Awesome pics and travelogue! Keep them coming!

OT: Malgudi days can be viewed for free on Watch Free Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, Promos, Animation, TV Channels, Yoga and More on Rajshri.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks