Team-BHP > Announcements
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2015, 12:39   #241
Team-BHP Support

re: The commitment to maintain Team-BHP's QUALITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate tar View Post
It's all useless rant for the importance given to write perfect English it keeps out many otherwise bright automotive enthusiasts away from this platform and us all devoid and deprived of their knowledge
The moderators if had given space to all such people would had been celebrating 1000000 posts
We do not want to celebrate numbers that way, thank you.

I have to make an effort to understand this post of yours. Imagine those 1xxXxx posts like this. Would I even be interested to read up posts/threads in this format? Certainly not.

And I do not think those bright automotive enthusiasts would be interested either.

If my post cannot be understood by someone (be it for acronyms, spelling or grammar error) the whole purpose is defeated of taking the effort to write it down.

No one is asking you to look up the dictionary and find hard/difficult words to use. Explain it in simple/plain English, but in correct format with proper punctuation, space and format.

And once you get used to this, there is no looking back. Please search as to how most of us were typing our posts few years ago and see how we have changed ourselves. It is for the benefit of all.

I hope you got the drift.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th January 2015 at 12:58.
Sheel is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 12:59   #242
D C
BHPian

IMO, If an automobile enthusiast couldn't articulate clearly, his knowledge, no matter how sophisticated, wouldn't add much value to this forum in any way.

I read a lot about automobiles on various sources and none of them have encouraged me to participate in their discussions. The reason I loved Team-BHP is because of it's distinguishable nature, and how we achieve and maintain this is clearly listed out in the Team-BHP rules.
D C is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 15:23   #243
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The moderators if had given space to all such people would had been celebrating 1000000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
We will definitely be celebrating 1,000,000 posts sooner or later.
Just a note, guys: As I type this, we have 3,467,494 posts. Hence, Hatetar, we have managed to maintain a certain level of quality with 3.5 times the milestone you mention.

Quote:
It's all useless rant for the importance given to write perfect English it keeps out many otherwise bright automotive enthusiasts away from this platform and us all devoid and deprived of their knowledge
Sorry buddy, but crystal clear communication & language is something that Team-BHP will never compromise on. It's just better for everyone this way....contributors (so they're understood better) as well as readers (to make it an enjoyable + informative experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What restrictions have you faced w.r.t in contributing OR are you referring to any other BHPian?
5 infractions for poorly typed posts.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 16:12   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ever heard of punctuation?

I had to read this four times to infer (more or less!) what you wanted to convey. If the bright automotive sparks you refer to are going to post like this, one will have to spend an entire day to glean their pearls of wisdom from their posts.

Good language and communication skills are more important than you seem to imagine. I normally would read the first few sentences and then skip on, if both are not present.
Gansan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 19:27   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Just a note, guys: As I type this, we have 3,467,494 posts. Hence, we have managed to maintain a certain level of quality with 3.5 times the milestone you mention.
Thank you for posting the milestone! Proud of it!

Quote:
Sorry buddy, but crystal clear communication & language is something that Team-BHP will never compromise on.
No compromise whatsoever!

Quote:
5 infractions for poorly typed posts.
No wonder he is ranting on the quality required.
Old 27th January 2015, 22:07   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Lately I've seen many posts with grammatical errors and punctuation errors. Somehow it breaks the flow of reading. I did report many posts but then I still see many stupid posts. Also there are many off topic discussions on irrelevant issues. I never found these when I had become a member here but now its more common.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 22:30   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Lately I've seen many posts with grammatical errors and punctuation errors. Somehow it breaks the flow of reading. I did report many posts but then I still see many stupid posts. Also there are many off topic discussions on irrelevant issues. I never found these when I had become a member here but now its more common.
I will disagree.

I was introduced to this website by a group of people. Some of these people were Infracted upon for various reasons. I personally thought the board was overly moderated back then, A friend was actually afraid to continue posting for fear of ban due to multiple points, but today find it to be reasonably so. I think GTO and the guys are doing a great job maintaining forums quality by filtering out the unnecessary without being too strict.
I actually would like more freedom be given to create threads. Many times I've come across freshly created discussions that were merged into other older topics just because there was some similarity with what was being discussed. For example, I have hesitated many times to post in the car audio section for this reason and have resorted to another board entirely to have my queries answered.

I also have a request, Given how Incredibly difficult it is to get into T-BHP I would like to see Infractions expire after a long duration. A one year Infraction Expiration post-ban seems fair to me. It would allow people to come back to the forums having learned their lesson without having to apply countless number of times for membership again.

My thanks to the T-BHP Team for all the awesome work!
Maky is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 01:11   #248
Senior - BHPian

Neel, can you imagine my thread on buying and driving a Honda Accord was rejected three times, since I hadn't provided all the 'required' info.

I mean, what is there to write about a car that every petrolhead knows about, bought preowned?

So I was a little upset. I did complete most of the requirements and the thread finally moved out of the assembly line, but not before the newness of the car had worn off.

And then I got thinking. Before buying this car I had researched on TBHP for any info on the 2.3 manual Accord and almost cursed the threads for not having any details about this one. The mods were simply trying to ensure another member like me doesn't have to suffer the same fate.

Trust me, I have been a part of another forum and sometimes I just wonder if the discussion is actually leading anywhere. No such trouble here!

All in all, it's a great discipline and certainly goes a long way to ensure quality.
honeybee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 10:21   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Buddy, please continue to use the report post button whenever you come across posts like the ones you mention. Some days, mods might be busy and hence this might have escaped their radar, but please continue to use the report post button.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 10:22   #250
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lately I've seen many posts with grammatical errors and punctuation errors. I never found these when I had become a member here but now its more common.
My personal opinion is that our quality has actually improved over the years. Every BHPian works hard to keep this forum running in top shape.

Request: We insist that you use the reporting tool to bring any problematic posts to our notice. Trust me, we look into each reported post.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 12:12   #251
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I personally thought the board was overly moderated back then, A friend was actually afraid to continue posting for fear of ban due to multiple points, but today find it to be reasonably so.
I wrote about 100 posts while I had 9 infraction points! That means, if I make a mistake in any of those 100 posts, I would face a ban

Its actually the interest to talk cars that override the fear of posting!

On a positive note, infractions are a way to actually get new people acquainted to the forum and its rules, and to old members it may just act as a reminder That is what makes this community a distinguished one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I also have a request, Given how Incredibly difficult it is to get into T-BHP I would like to see Infractions expire after a long duration. A one year Infraction Expiration post-ban seems fair to me. It would allow people to come back to the forums having learned their lesson without having to apply countless number of times for membership again.
As far as I understood the _, the initial ban is temporary and it is for a month.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 22:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sir,
I have been a member of other automotive forums and by far the biggest thing that draws me to Team-bhp is the quality of the posts. Every post written here follows the forum rules and is in good legible english. In other automotive forums just about anybody can start posting in two minutes post registration and this has a detrimental impact on the quality of posts.
bullrun87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:22   #253
BHPian

I accept my language is not good. I have already got an “infraction” from GTO for “poor language and grammar”. Is that mean I should feel embarrassed. No, never. Trust me since I got that infraction, I am becoming more careful about my language in the forum as well as in my professional and personal life. I am working on improving my language and thanks to Team BHP for providing an opportunity to acquire knowledge on motoring as well as on language.

All the language in the world sound sweet and melodious provided you use it in a proper way. Same with English language.

I love this Forum and one of the reasons I am following this Forum since long, is the quality of language maintained by its members. I completely agree that it will be a nice and enjoyable experience for the reader if the post is properly written.

I really appreciate and support mods (especially GTO) to maintain and keeping up the standard.

Cheers!

Amyth78
amyth78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 14:29   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to put in this note to THANK THE ENTIRE SUPPORT TEAM including .Anshuman, Aah78, Aditya, Ajmat, Bblost, Benbsb29, Eddy, FlyingSpur, Jaggu, Karlosdeville, Khan_Sultan, Manson, Mobike008, Moralfibre, MPower, Navin, N_aditya, Noopster, Rehaan, Rtech, Rudra Sen, Samurai, Stratos, Suhaas307, Technocrat, TheMAG, TSK1979, Vid6639 and Zappo for the exemplary support shown by them to our community. Each one of them is either working or studying full-time, and are yet consistently active members of the Support Team. It can get extremely cumbersome to manage a community of thousands of members / lakhs of visitors (and growing), but these guys have always performed with a smile. They take a considerable amount of time out of their busy schedules, only with the motivation to maintain Team-BHP as the Definitive Indian Car Community.

Dear @GTO,

Needless to say, Team-Bhp is arguably one of the best forums in our country. I have been going through the forums as a guest for some time now. I have advised many friends and family members to look up team bhp for advices on car and bikes. And I will continue to do so. I have complete faith in you and all the administrators and the people who have kept this up and running for 11 years now. I have complete faith that none of the posts are in way biased or is based on emotions. Special appreciations to the "Official reviews" forum. You people have been real problem solvers for countless people, enthusiasts and non enthusiasts all the same. It isn't just me, but I am sure everyone here feels the same.

It was only recently that I was made a member of the same. It certainly made my day because, one does not simply become a member of this team. The hospitality here is amazing. At the end of the day, nobody goes home offended. There's something for everyone. Nobody gets insulted or will be looked down upon. Justice is swift! We all love you and the website. Brilliant job and all the best. Looking forward to meeting you someday.

Thanks and Regards
msrsooraj

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th February 2015 at 20:11. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
msrsooraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 18:33   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving away from this discussion of punctuation and grammar , I have a suggestion to offer on a different topic, but related to keeping up the quality of Team BHP.

There are times when people create a thread to highlight significant concerns with a car (mechanical failures, etc.). There have been a few occasions when these have turned out to be false, or when asked for further information the thread starter went silent, for whatever reasons (problem solved, false thread, etc.). Often, these threads descend into name calling against the manufacturer, until the mods clamp down on the thread.

While it is reassuring that these cases are indeed few, they might still create a perception that Team BHP is being

May I suggest that in cases where a problem is being reported, the mods lock that thread until the poster has furnished details such as the job card, vehicle VIN number, photographs, etc. for validation? The VIN can be used to determine if the make of the car is correct.

If the volume of work this entails is significant, then it needn't be done for all threads, only for those started by posters with <100 posts (i.e. Newbie status).
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks