Team-BHP > Announcements

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 10:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

Introducing Push Notifications on Team-BHP.com!

Today, we're introducing a slick new way to keep in touch with the latest happenings on Team-BHP : Push Notifications.

They work great on Mobile as well as Desktop, and are a seamless way to get quick glimpses of what's new in the Indian Car Scene, whilst you're busy doing other things.

How exactly does it work?

When Hot Threads or News articles are added to the Team-BHP Homepage, you have the option to receive a notification on your smartphone or computer.

Here’s what the notifications look like on Mobile (Chrome notification on Android shown here):

And on desktop - it slides in seamlessly, on top of the program you're using (Chrome notification on Windows 10 shown here):

You can choose how many notifications you receive and when you get them, via this Notifications Settings page:

If you're using Chrome, you can also reach this page by clicking the "OPTIONS" button on any notification.

It's worth knowing that these web-push notifications are dependent on the browser, and each browser has a slightly different way of displaying them. We recommend subscribing via Chrome for the best experience, as it displays each notification with a large image and additional buttons, unlike most other browsers.

How do I activate this?

While browsing Team-BHP, you might come across a prompt like this on your desktop or mobile. Click "I'LL TRY IT"...

...and then click "Allow" on the browser prompt that follows:

Alternatively, visit this page and as soon as you click any button, you should receive a prompt to subscribe.

Still not showing up? See the “Troubleshooting” section below.

iPhone users

Unfortunately, iOS does not support these browser-based push notifications as yet. Hopefully a future update will enable it for iPhone & iPad users.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2020 at 10:44.
Rehaan is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 10:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Smaller yet Significant Things

• Current browser support (June 2020):

• Note that you’ll need to subscribe individually on each device that you wish to receive notifications on. Subscriptions are not linked to your Team-BHP account or browser sync account in any way. So, if you want notifications on your smartphone and computer – you’ll need to subscribe from both devices.

• In case it's unclear, to close the Desktop Chrome notifications, mouse over them and click the arrow that appears:
Name:  hidechromedesktopnotificationanimated70pctcropped.gif
Views: 4465
Size:  415.9 KB

• If you clear your browser cookies / cache, your subscription to Push Notifications will end. You’ll need to re-activate it by visiting the Notification Settings page and selecting the options you want.

• It’s not possible to successfully subscribe in Incognito / Private browsing mode.

• To unsubscribe, simply visit the Notification Settings page and turn “Off” all notifications.

• Prefer old-school? We also have a Daily Email Newsletter available.

Troubleshooting if you don't see them:

• If you visit the Notification Settings page and any of the buttons turn red, that means you're successfully subscribed on our end of things.

• While on Team-BHP.com > Click the lock icon in the URL bar > Ensure 'Notifications' doesn't show up as blocked (look within Permissions / Site Settings as well).

• Ensure that browser add-ons like AdBlock / uBlock are disabled when you are subscribing to notifications or changing your preferences.

• If all else fails, clear your browser's Site Data for Team-BHP and try again.

• Still having issues? Post in this thread, or Contact Us.

As always, we look forward to your feedback & suggestions .
Rehaan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:00   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Introducing Push Notifications on Team-BHP.com!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Announcements Section. Thanks for this wonderful feature, Rehaan!

Team-BHP is the only website I have enabled notifications for. Reason:

- It's the most advanced system I've seen. No one else offers the advanced settings that you have created.

- The best content , and the most unbiased!

- "Hot Threads" is a concept unique to Team-BHP . Fans will surely appreciate notifications for that.

- The news team doesn't publish unnecessary news articles, and only the best of the best stuff goes on hot threads. Translated = no unnecessary notifications.

Introducing Push Notifications on Team-BHP.com!-notification.png

I also love how I can quickly check all the notifications I might have missed when I was away from my desk or busy (Windows 10 shown here):
Introducing Push Notifications on Team-BHP.com!-untitled.png

P.S. iOS users - yet another reason to move!

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2020 at 11:02.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:21   #4
BHPian

Unfortunate IOS user here, but this implementation is better than I expected. Maybe in the future, but thanks for the initiative guys!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Wow, that is good news.

I have all notifications muted on the phone, except official mail.
And to be honest do open up TBHP atleast twice a day to read the latest.

This will surely help, and a big hell yeah to this notification!
Old_Salt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 14:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
iPhone users

Unfortunately, iOS does not support these browser-based push notifications as yet. Hopefully a future update will enable it for iPhone & iPad users.
Some of the cons of owning an iOS device.
Nevertheless, looking forward to a workaround soon.

And keep up the good work guys!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 14:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move, even if I would urge you to get the iOS version working as soon as possible. Doubt I would move to Android even for Team BHP :-)
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 14:58   #8
BHPian

I don't allow any website to show me notifications. They are too distracting.

In the case of team bhp, I don't need to. I always have one tab open in both my mobile and computer browser. And check it every day.
evil_grin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 16:13   #9
BHPian

This would be great for someone like me who visits the website and refreshes it number of times (to see whether there is any new content!) even when I am on office PC or when I am on my mobile.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2020 at 18:48. Reason: typo
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Unfortunate IOS user here
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Some of the cons of owning an iOS device.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
get the iOS version
Just wanted to point out that something that seems a bit counter-intuitive, in case it helps you guys out:

While iOS doesn't support this functionality, MacOS does! It will work on Mac with multiple browsers (Chrome / Safari / Firefox / Opera etc).
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 09:20   #11
BHPian

Hey Rehaan, is there a freq cap on the notification to subscribe for push notification to maybe once a week per user, specifically for those who have said no to it? Currently, I'm seeing it multiple times per day and I have to keep hitting "later" all the time. It will definitely improve the UX for those who don't want to subscribe for it
Shome is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 15:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hey Rehaan, is there a freq cap on the notification to subscribe for push notification to maybe once a week per user, specifically for those who have said no to it? Currently, I'm seeing it multiple times per day and I have to keep hitting "later" all the time. It will definitely improve the UX for those who don't want to subscribe for it
I have similar grouse too. Currently the notification pops up multiple times and shows even if I am already subscribed. Can this be looked into please?
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 00:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Currently, I'm seeing it multiple times per day
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I have similar grouse too. Currently the notification pops up multiple times
Any chance you are using Firefox?

The latest versions are doing some cookie-blocking stuff that might be affecting the functionality of this.

The way it's designed, the notification should not show again for weeks after you click "Close" once.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
+

Any chance you are using Firefox?

The latest versions are doing some cookie-blocking stuff that might be affecting the functionality of this.

The way it's designed, the notification should not show again for weeks after you click "Close" once.
I'm using Chrome, but this issue is more prevalent on mobile, so could be a cookie thing. Thanks for checking.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 16:47   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm using Chrome, but this issue is more prevalent on mobile, so could be a cookie thing. Thanks for checking.
Oh strange...

Are any of the following true in your case?
1) You're using incognito mode
2) You're opening multiple tabs as soon as you reach the website (before dismissing the prompt)
3) Your browser is set to delete cookies on exit, or not allow 3rd party cookies?
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed