|2nd December 2008, 19:15||#1|
Super - Admin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Thanked: 1,438 Times
Expected Posting Etiquette
At Team-BHP, the quality of content on the forum has always been a primary concern and a certain level of posting etiquette is a requirement.
Please take some time to go through the following points, and if necessary, adjust your posting habits, as following these guidelines will be in the best interest of the readers of Team-BHP.
1) Avoid SMS Language
Standard abbreviations and acronyms are acceptable (see this thread for more details), however SMS short forms are not. Use a browser like FireFox which has an inline spell-checker to help you out if you are used to typing in SMS language.
Bad: I just went 4 a drive wid my bro.
Good: I just went for a drive with my brother.
2) Use Proper Punctuation & Capitalization
- You must use a space after a punctuation mark (not before). It is a rule of written English.
- Use "..." only when you wish to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or a trailing off into silence - it is not a replacement for a full-stop/period or comma.
- Avoid too many ...s
- Try to capitalize the first letter when you start a new sentence.
Bad: Hi...how are you guys???I'm new here..
Bad: Hi , how are you guys ? I'm new here.
Bad: Hi,how are you guys?I'm new here.
Good: Hi, how are you guys? I'm new here.- To take the previous point further, do not type in all capital (all-caps) letters. This is considered equivalent to shouting and is generally considered as rude.
3) Avoid Back-to-back posts in the same thread (within 30 mins of each other)
Please use the EDIT button to add content to your earlier post, within 30 mins of posting it, instead of making another consecutive post in that thread. For quoting multiple posts please follow these instructions to learn about using the "MULTIQUOTE" button.
4) Implying abusive language using special characters (@%*$) is against the rules.
If the forum software automatically **s out the word you typed, that's a good indication the word is not permitted on Team-BHP. Using special characters (#%^&) to imply an abusive term is AGAINST THE RULES. Please find a less colorful word or a more eloquent way to get your point across.
Bad: And then the #$%^@ got out of his car and started calling me a #$&@#$%#^&##$ for an accident that was clearly his fault!
Good: And then the uncouth driver got out of his car and decided to direct profanity at me for an accident that was clearly his fault!
5) Don't make your quotes too long
- Avoid quoting when you are posting a general reply to a recent post and can address the member directly.
- Quote a post when you want to highlight a specific point(s) you are replying to.
- Try to edit the text within the quote to display only the specific part you are replying to (and not the entire huge post).
- Type your reply below the quoted text.
Bad: Quoting an entire large post.
Bad: Quoting many images.
Bad: Typing your replies inline, in capitals and using bold text, instead of using the quote feature.
Good: Quoting only a select part of the post preceded and followed by a "..." to signify an intentional omission of content.
6) What you type remains visible forever
- Think of posting on the forum as publishing an article in a newspaper. It will be fixed in time for years to come and for absolutely everyone to see.
- Make sure your post is of substantial value and that the contents are not something you will regret or wish to change weeks or years down the line.
- Posts & threads on the forums will not be removed on request unless they are in violation of the rules.
7) Be polite!
Please avoid making statements or sweeping generalizations that could offend other readers. There is always a polite way to get your point across.
Bad: Enzo owners are ignorant fools if they think they own the world's fastest car.
Good: Enzo owners are clearly misinformed if they think they own the world's fastest car.
8) Want more?
If you wish to discuss the finer points of the English language, please see this thread : A YetiGuide - How to post in proper English.
Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Minor update regarding point 1.
|The following 18 BHPians Thank Administrator for this useful post:|| |
ad3952n, akshay380, amit_purohit20, Arch-Angel, Ddrive, drive@will, Francy, Grand Drive, jayantvs, JoseVijay, manjunag, Nonstop-driver, pankajparikh, Parthasarathig, Rehaan, SDP, t3ofil4us, The Rationalist