Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 19:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio

Folks

The ICE upgrade bug has finally caught up on me. The current ICE setup looks like this
  • Head Unit > Kenwood KDC-BT7043U
  • eFX components for the front doors.
  • Boston Acoustics sxi 606 compo's for the center door.
  • efx 4200 ( 4 channel amp) powering the compo's.
  • Volfenhag ZX-8100(2 channel 800Watts ) powering my 12" sub.
  • 12 " Subwoofer from Hifonics in a ported box
All this has been installed at EVO by our own neeliraven316.

I am quite not satisfied with the way the Bostons sound and have been contemplating on changing this. My requirement is pretty straightforward since am more of a SQ guy.

I plan to shift the eFX components to the center door and need help on deciding which component is the best bang for the buck ?

I would also require a more powerful 2 channel amp to power the sub so the Volfenhag will also go from the scorp'.(No monobloc's please coz I don't have the budget for it now).

Current budget is 15k+ inclusive of a 2 channel amp and a pair of components.
  1. Good sounding component (with price).
  2. 2 channel amp to power the sub( with price).
I had a chat with Satya a few months back and he suggested that I go in for the Diamond Audio D1 components and Memphis PR100.2 amp(2 channel) to power the sub.What do you all think of this ?

Either ways please pour in your suggestions as to what are my options on the shoestring budget that I have mentioned.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:24   #2
BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Mahindra Scorpio

I have done the ICE installation from Satya(EVO) during Feb this year.
I have the same Kenwood HU, Hifonics components for the front doors and Hifonics 3-way co-axials. The amp is 4 channel one from MB Quart DSC 4125. I do not remember the sub-woofer. I quite liked the sound and the quality. Next upgrade may be a 2 channel amp to drive the woofer.
Old 29th April 2011, 14:28   #3
BHPian

Any good 2 channel amp would cross your budget straight.

For comps listen and decide, couple of brands.. DLS, Morel, Rainbows.

You can use a combination of your existing 4 channel (1 comp + 1 sub) with 2 channel (front comps) and maybe later upgrade the amps to better ones. OR

Also you can check the classified section for deals on amps 4 channel for upgrading.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

rj; why not other more heard about brands? And heard Morel now had some VFM models too. Check those too.

Have read/heard about Diamond but not sure if I would buy one.

Man, 3 amps! Thats a lot of wiring and stuff!
Old 29th April 2011, 15:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

shiva since you also own a scorp' am pretty sure that you must know the fact that without a 2nd set of good sounding compo's the 2nd row has no quality music coming through. My idea is to move the eFX compos to the center doors and invest on a pair of better compos for the front.

invincible
thanks for the suggestion I quite know that it would go beyond my budget and hence posted 15k + . I am currently open to stretching that and that's more of a ball park figure. I need a good 2 channel amp to power my sub and that's pretty much.

jk the existing 2 channel amp is gonna go for now. So I will be left with 2 amps after a get new one.This is clearly stage one of my ICE upgrade and eventually that 4 channel amp also will go. For now I need my front stage sound at it's best, hence the need for a good sounding component.
The Scoche 4200 ain't that bad of an amp for starters.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:17   #6
BHPian

RJ,

Need any help ? , can suggest a few ....15k ...hmmm , tight call though

Raghu..
Old 29th April 2011, 17:04   #7
BHPian

why are you looking at specific 2 channel for power your sub.. why not a mono..any specific reasons for not investing into a mono. It would come out lesser than a 2 channel amp.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:14   #8
BHPian

RJ,
I am using Diamond Audio components in my safari, not the D series, but the older M series (M661). Please audition the particular combo as the Diamonds are power hungry and the tweeter might feel a little bright or sharp (you may adjust that via tuning though).

Not heard Memphis, so no comments on it but I just love the mid's of DA.

Hope it helps.
Old 29th April 2011, 17:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
RJ,

Need any help ? , can suggest a few ....15k ...hmmm , tight call though

Raghu..
That's the whole point of this thread being here Raghu .

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
why are you looking at specific 2 channel for power your sub.. why not a mono..any specific reasons for not investing into a mono. It would come out lesser than a 2 channel amp.
Really ? Then what's holding you back my friend, I would be grateful if you can suggest a few models from the current market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
RJ,
I am using Diamond Audio components in my safari, not the D series, but the older M series (M661). Please audition the particular combo as the Diamonds are power hungry and the tweeter might feel a little bright or sharp (you may adjust that via tuning though).

Not heard Memphis, so no comments on it but I just love the mid's of DA.

Hope it helps.
Lionx thanks man, Satya was talking about the D series and said that they were the best for my needs.
I need my mids and lows no matter what. I listen to every genre of music(English) and hate to compromise on my SQ.
Old 29th April 2011, 18:09   #10
BHPian

Couple of mono which come to my mind.

JBL GTO3501 ; Kenwood KAC7204; Kenwood KAC9104D
Old 29th April 2011, 20:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you prefer a laid back kind of sound, try the Morel Tempo 6. I narrowed down to these after listening to almost all the other options, and these sound absolutely awesome, paired with the kenny 7016 HU in my figo.

If you prefer a more bright set of comps, the look at the Focal polyglass.

And most importantly, try to listen to each before you settle for any one, as perception of sq varies from person to person!
Old 1st May 2011, 19:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Riju,
I've got Diamond Audio D1 comps in the front and somehow I'm not that satisfied with them. I'm finding them little too bright and almost have the feeling of my ears getting hit with too high amount of high freq sound at times. I'm keeping the equalizer for treble at -3db now(I used to keep that and mid in 0 before) and still the issue is there. Not sure what is wrong but I'm not having time to take the car to Satya to get it checked. Might be something is wrong with the crossover setup only or the amp settings bubt I'm not too sure. But sometimes for some kind of music I feel that they are sounding good but some other time they are almost trying to bleed my ears(little bit exaggeration here ) The amp I'm using is a Rockford Fosgate Prime and not sure if that's the culprit but somehow I doubt that. I think the D1's are bit too bright, even more than the JBL's (had JBL's in my old car). Midbass response is pretty good though and I like the punch of the speakers.
Regards,
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

jay thanks man, definitely will splurge only after I audition the stuff.

kaushik if you say they are brighter than the JBL's, am not going there.It's like I want the best of both worlds and don't want them to be too bright also. Either ways I will listen to a few that Satya has to offer and then decide.
Once this upgrade is done, the next stage will be the eFX amp which I will get rid off. So gotto be really careful with the current choices. Thanks again.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
kaushik if you say they are brighter than the JBL's, am not going there.It's like I want the best of both worlds and don't want them to be too bright also. Either ways I will listen to a few that Satya has to offer and then decide.
Yup, listen to the speakers first and then decide. They are sounding bright for sure. Today I tried changing the equalizer for mids also to around -3db and reduced high to -4db. Now it's tolerable. But there is one more thing to notice, the tweeters are mounted on the ORVM pannels and as I think in a Scorpio the distance from the ears is lesser than that of a Sedan.
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:27   #15
BHPian

@rjstyles69 when you get a chance considering exploring Pioneer AVH-P3350BT or for that matter any of the Pioneer AVH series HU's. These are double din HU;s and real value for money.

I am planning to get one for my Swift.

Most Viewed