Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2008, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Want to replace the awful stock headunit of Maruti SX4

I want to get a 2-Din headunit for my SX4 ZXi. The stock headunit(Nippon Audiotronix) is crap just like the stock speakers. I have thrown the 4 stock speakers and went for polk momo components. Already i can see a 100% improvement in sound quality. I want to do justice to the speakers by going for a kenwood or alpine headunit. Bit concerned whether the headunit will fit in snugly in the place of the stock one. Has anyone done it and does it need any modifications to the face panel to cover gaps(if there any). I don't want the new headunit to aesthetically integrate properly with the dash.
Old 25th February 2008, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am afraid you will lose the lovely functionality of audio controls on the steering wheel if you change the HU.
Old 25th February 2008, 15:06   #3

please post your threads in the apropriate section...there is an ICE section dedicated to all these queries.
Old 25th February 2008, 16:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
I don't want the new headunit to aesthetically integrate properly with the dash.
Eh?? Did you mean the oppositte?
Post it in the ICE section, the best place for audio advice (or confusion??)

@MODs: Move this thread to the ICE section.
Old 25th February 2008, 17:43   #5
BHPian

I am afraid you will lose the lovely functionality of audio controls on the steering wheel if you change the HU.

Not necessarily ! We have an installer in Chennai, who has transplanted Head units in many cars like Superb, SX4, etc. and has still retained the steering remote functionality with the new Head unit.
Old 25th February 2008, 18:29   #6
BHPian

You can get a dash-kit for an after-market music system from Maruti Spare Parts Dept. itself. Its available as MGP since it used to come as OE in the early few batches of the SX4 VXi, something like this
ImageShack - Hosting :: vxidashpf1xs1.jpg

I think around Sept, 07 they started providing even the Vxi's with the same head-unit like in the Zxi. But all the pre-Sept Vxi's come with the above dash-kit as OE. The kit is also available off the shelf with maruti like i mentioned earlier and its a perfect fit for any SX4. You can easily install Single or a Double Din Head-Unit using this kit and there will be absolutely no gaps or ugly fit and finish issues at all. Once the HU is installed, it will look just the way it looks when installed in any other car. Its available with Maruti for approx Rs.200/-

I have bought one such kit for my ZXI (which is lying somewhere in my house) just incase i wanna change to a better sounding Head-Unit in the future. In that case i can always install the kit and do the same!

Check it out.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 25th February 2008 at 18:39.
Old 19th June 2008, 16:22   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
please post your threads in the apropriate section...there is an ICE section dedicated to all these queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
@MODs: Move this thread to the ICE section.
Moved. Please use the "report this post to a moderator" button for future requests, and quicker turnaround.
Old 24th February 2010, 23:45   #8
BHPian

Bitten by the ICE bug...

Guys I want to get a new headunit for my SX4 ZXI.

The stock head unit is slow and sounds crappy. This Head Unit will go into my new Ritz Lxi.

I would like to know which head unit should I opt for JVC, Pioneer or Kenwood ???

I like to hear my music loud / clear with tight bass and a hint of brightness. I hope I am able to define what I need.

Last edited by maglev : 24th February 2010 at 23:47.
Old 25th February 2010, 00:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Guys I want to get a new headunit for my SX4 ZXI.

The stock head unit is slow and sounds crappy. This Head Unit will go into my new Ritz Lxi.

I would like to know which head unit should I opt for JVC, Pioneer or Kenwood ???

I like to hear my music loud / clear with tight bass and a hint of brightness. I hope I am able to define what I need.

Great decision to go in for an aftermarket HU for your SX4...but my dear friend, you need to be clear in terms of your requirements...Is it a single din HU you need or a double din? or a touch-screen dvd HU? whats your budget for the HU upgrade?

Secondly whichever Hu you choose...you will need to source a dash-kit for the sx4 from scosche. This will cost you somewhere around 2.5k

Also you will need to buy a steering wheel audio remote interface from PAC if you wish to retain the steering wheel audio controls of the sx4 even after changing over to an aftermarket HU. Price for the same would be around 5-7k.

Lastly, i am afraid but you cannot plonk the stock sx4 Hu into the ritz lxi. Fact is even though the ritz/swift/sx4 have a similar Hu interface. They differ in terms of design and size and more importantly shape. Soo i am almost certain that the ritz wont be able to house the Sx4 HU

cheers
Old 25th February 2010, 00:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Great decision to go in for an aftermarket HU for your SX4...but my dear friend, you need to be clear in terms of your requirements...Is it a single din HU you need or a double din? or a touch-screen dvd HU? whats your budget for the HU upgrade?

Secondly whichever Hu you choose...you will need to source a dash-kit for the sx4 from scosche. This will cost you somewhere around 2.5k

Also you will need to buy a steering wheel audio remote interface from PAC if you wish to retain the steering wheel audio controls of the sx4 even after changing over to an aftermarket HU. Price for the same would be around 5-7k.

Lastly, i am afraid but you cannot plonk the stock sx4 Hu into the ritz lxi. Fact is even though the ritz/swift/sx4 have a similar Hu interface. They differ in terms of design and size and more importantly shape. Soo i am almost certain that the ritz wont be able to house the Sx4 HU

cheers

1. I intend to go in for a Touch screen HU, Budget is around 25K (I would be retaining the stock speakers for now and then upgrading in steps due to lack of Vitamin M)

2. I had read one of your posts, in which you had mentioned about buying the dash kit directly from Maruti, I did the same. I've got the kit with me. Purchased for Rs: 205/- (Thanks to you sir)

3. I can do without the steering wheel audio controls for now, I'll buy the interface kit after upgrading the speakers.

4. I myself was skeptical about plonking in the SX4 HU into the Ritz but I'll give the attempt atleast one shot.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev
1. I intend to go in for a Touch screen HU, Budget is around 25K (I would be retaining the stock speakers for now and then upgrading in steps due to lack of Vitamin M)
Great! You can get the JVC 826 touch-screen Hu for 25k in gray. Pioneer also has a unit for 25k in gray but it lacks integrated bluetooth. JVC also has a detachable face panel which is very useful IMHO.

Quote:
2. I had read one of your posts, in which you had mentioned about buying the dash kit directly from Maruti, I did the same. I've got the kit with me. Purchased for Rs: 205/- (Thanks to you sir)
Oh you managed to get the Maruti dash-kit......wonderful! Am glad my old posts helped you in someway.

Quote:
3. I can do without the steering wheel audio controls for now, I'll buy the interface kit after upgrading the speakers.
I would recommend you install the steering wheel interface along with the HU in one shot. If you plan to add amps later.....then connect the necessary RCA's/amplifier remote wire and a seperate RCA for reversing camera (if you plan to install a reverse-camera on the rear bumper at a later stage) along with it.

I say soo because the silver-trim which is fitted on either sides of the HU/ACC controls on the SX4 dash are very tightly fitted (....onto the dash....) and they need to be carefully pulled out. I have noticed in a friends sx4 that removing this silver trim leaves visible scruff marks (on the part of the dashboard besides the above mentioned silver trims) as you need to pull it out with a screw-driver or similar tolls. Repeatedly removing this trim might break one of the clips of the silver trims and that would be an unnecessary expense as the said trim is an SGP part and costs an insane 9k for a pair.

Soo like i said earlier install the HU/remote interface/necessar RCA's/remote wire if you planing on an amp in the future. You won't have to touch the dash or the HU during future upgrades to your ICE wrt spks/amps/subs.

cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 25th February 2010 at 10:22.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:36   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Budget is around 25K (I would be retaining the stock speakers for now and then upgrading in steps due to lack of Vitamin M)
Why not a Carputer? Fit's your budget.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Great! You can get the JVC 826 touch-screen Hu for 25k in gray. Pioneer also has a unit for 25k in gray but it lacks integrated bluetooth. JVC also has a detachable face panel which is very useful IMHO.

Oh you managed to get the Maruti dash-kit......wonderful! Am glad my old posts helped you in someway.

I would recommend you install the steering wheel interface along with the HU in one shot. If you plan to add amps later.....then connect the necessary RCA's/amplifier remote wire and a seperate RCA for reversing camera (if you plan to install a reverse-camera on the rear bumper at a later stage) along with it.

I say soo because the silver-trim which is fitted on either sides of the HU/ACC controls on the SX4 dash are very tightly fitted (....onto the dash....) and they need to be carefully pulled out. I have noticed in a friends sx4 that removing this silver trim leaves visible scruff marks (on the part of the dashboard besides the above mentioned silver trims) as you need to pull it out with a screw-driver or similar tolls. Repeatedly removing this trim might break one of the clips of the silver trims and that would be an unnecessary expense as the said trim is an SGP part and costs an insane 9k for a pair.

So like i said earlier install the HU/remote interface/necessar RCA's/remote wire if you planing on an amp in the future. You won't have to touch the dash or the HU during future upgrades to your ICE wrt spks/amps/subs.

cheers
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure that all the wiring is done at one go, I might go in for the reverse camera this time itself. Any Idea how much would it cost?

BTW in terms of sound quality which one would be the best out of Pioneer-4150, Kenwood-7034bt, JVC-826 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Why not a Carputer? Fit's your budget.
The only reason for not choosing the carputer is that my car is driven by my younger bro, chauffeur. Hence I don't want something which might get messed up human action.
Old 27th February 2010, 16:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure that all the wiring is done at one go, I might go in for the reverse camera this time itself. Any Idea how much would it cost?

BTW in terms of sound quality which one would be the best out of Pioneer-4150, Kenwood-7034bt, JVC-826 ??

The only reason for not choosing the carputer is that my car is driven by my younger bro, chauffeur. Hence I don't want something which might get messed up human action.
I dunno about the kenwood but the jvc and pioneer are almost on par as far as SQ is concerned......Detachable face plate is a major plus for the jvc as it is a huge help when the car goes for servicing to A**...You can simply remove the faceplate thereby preventing those morons from playing around with the HU. Its also a major security feature for a HU which costs 25k+.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:17   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Hence I don't want something which might get messed up human action.
You have to be pretty intelligent to mess it up. It's more or less like your home computer. What can go wrong which cannot be easily fixed by system restore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks