Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:48   #1
BHPian

ICE Query For Maruti 1000

Hello all you friendly people in the ICE Section. This is my first post in this section, even though I’m a regular silent visitor for some years now. The car in question is a 14year old Maruti 1000, which is my current project car and would be well into the New Year. In most of our cars so far, the Music system is rarely turned on, even if it is turned on, it’s kept at very low volume. It is usually the lowest on the mod priority list.
So decided against tradition and wanted to do the audio install in the 1000 first and then do the usual turbo, bodykit etc.

I’m a humble newbie in this section of T-bhp, and I don’t know much about ICE and its jargons. Open to all reasonable suggestions and willing to learn. Whatever little I know is from regular reading of posts in the ICE section.

Now that the intro is done with, let’s get down to business.

I have somewhat decided on the basic stuff I want, I need the expert advice of all you Audio Gurus in finalizing the amps, subwoofer and rear speakers. Please.!

Requirements:
Very Good Sound Quality. Not interested in being heard a few blocks away.

Music:
Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, The Doors and most other classic rock bands. (60%)
I also listen to Trance – Armin van Buuren, Tiesto etc. (40%)

I have already purchased the following.

Alpine 9887 (with b&w)
JBL GTO 1004 ( with B&w)
Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe - Thank you Gunbir Sir. I’ve found a retailer in B’lore and paid advance for the same.

Now for the Rear speakers, Subs and amp. Please Help.

Subwoofers (Max budget 12k for 2 Subs)
I almost decided on the JBL Gto 1214D until I came across this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...401-amp-2.html

How does the Ground Zero Sub compare with the 1214D. Will it be better suited for my listening preferences.
For some reason, I want 2 subs. Any other choices other than two mentioned above.

Monoblock Amp. (Budget ~15k)
I guess I need an amp putting out 500rms at 4ohms ?

Kenwood 9104D was suggested by Gunbir Sir. But I can’t seem to find this amp here. Any other suggestions? I’m open to buying in Grey.
Alpine MRP – 1000? Not sure if available though.

Rear speakers/ Components (Budget 10k Max)
Infinity Components or Focal 6x9 or Infinity ref 6x9.(I can save some money)?

I will be doing the install in the first/second week of Jan. Sorry for the long first post

Last edited by cinclaturbo : 22nd December 2008 at 19:50.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

the ground zero tw12 mk2 is a very versatile sub. its SQ abilities are well known here on the forum. if provided enough power, they go really loud and 2 of them fit your budget perfectly. also recommended is the GZ tw30t, which, on the slightly expensive side, offers even better SQ for your fast paced rock and trance tracks.

for the mono i feel the kenwood will be a good bet, as it is more VFM and is quite popular on this forum too.

rear speakers need not be components, if you plan to have components up front. rear speakers recommended are the JBL power series, or the ground zero gzt69t. decent bang for your buck. not too expensive too!

Last edited by frankmehta : 22nd December 2008 at 21:36.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:25   #3
BHPian

Why two subs? Buy one good sub and give it all the power it needs according to your taste
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

@cinclaturbo, you've bought good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Why two subs? Buy one good sub and give it all the power it needs according to your taste
I'd also say the same thing. 12K is a good budget and you can get one good sub for this much (including the box). With a 12K budget, I would get an ID12 D4v3. If you mate it to an amp that can power it at 2 ohm (like the JBL GTO 3501 mono at the 13K to 13.5K mark), you can push 350w or so to the sub. Or, if you get an ID12 D2v3 you can wire it at 4 ohms and push 200w or so to the sub. If you find the amp that Gunbir suggested, then that might be a better deal.

I don't think you will get an amp that will really push 500w at 4 ohms, in the 15K range.

If you haven't budgeted for wiring, you should remember that you'll need to spend 5-6K on wiring (power wires, distribution block, speaker wires, 3 pairs of 2-ch RCAs).

If you have a 10K budget for rear fill, why don't you get Rainbow coaxials in the same series? I think they run to 7.5K or 8k. But if you will be driving (I think you will be), then why don't you skip the rear-fill altogether? You can run the HU in the Front + Sub active mode You would have the amplification for the job.

Or, you can always skip the mono for the time being and use 2 channels of your current amp to drive the sub, and save on the mono (for the time being).

Last edited by hydrashok : 23rd December 2008 at 10:10.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:58   #5
BHPian

Rainbow and GZ combo.hmmm.. That would be first here.

But seriously ID goes beautifully with Rainbow. Should hear to believe.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@cinclaturbo, you've bought good stuff!

I'd also say the same thing. 12K is a good budget and you can get one good sub for this much (including the box). With a 12K budget, I would get an ID12 D4v3. If you mate it to an amp that can power it at 2 ohm (like the JBL GTO 3501 mono at the 13K to 13.5K mark), you can push 350w or so to the sub. Or, if you get an ID12 D2v3 you can wire it at 4 ohms and push 200w or so to the sub. If you find the amp that Gunbir suggested, then that might be a better deal.

I don't think you will get an amp that will really push 500w at 4 ohms, in the 15K range.
@ Hydrashok. Thank you, exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

Update: Kenwood 9104D s are available in Delhi.

3 out of 4 posts here are suggesting I get a better sub...
Ok, I will get the ID12 sub.!

I have some more questions... Right now i can afford only one ID12, but later on if I pick another of the same sub, WILL the Kenwood 9104 D sufficiently power the two ID12s.

The MAX I can stretch for the mono will be 20k.
If there are any other better amps please suggest. I don't think I will be updating the ICE in the car within the next 8-10 months, i still have to do the turbo, ecu, suspension etc etc...
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:21   #7
BHPian

Image Dynamics ID12 v.3 D4 Subwoofer

Here it says the ID12 can be used as a free air sub. Is this info correct? Please give your opinions experts.

If the above info is true, it ll solve most of my ICE problems. One sub on the mdf plank. The boot will be completely empty.

Will there be any negatives with regard to the sound quality.

Only reason im after 2 subs is purely for aesthetic value, one sub kinda looks odd in the boot. Two subs one in each corner of the boot....will atleast look symmetric
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

@cinclaturbo, the Kenwood 9104D will definitely give you the juice you need for two subs. It's spec-sheet says that it pushes 900wRMS at 2 ohms.

If you have a long-term plan for 2 subs, get a, ID12 D2V3. A single sub can be wired to present a 4ohm load (the 9104D's spec-sheet says it pushes 500wRMS at 4 ohms). When you want to add the 2nd sub, you can add it and wire the subs to present a 2 ohm load.

I have heard of instances on the ID forum where the IDv3s were used as free-air/trunk-baffle subs. Unless you have a good installer, free-air is best avoided: the trunk needs ot be properly sealed form the cabin to get proper results.

A free-air sub's bass will lack the definition of a boxed sub's bass. But the free-air sub's bass will blend-in easier with the fronts. Also, you won't need a whole lot of power if the sub is run in free-air/trunk-baffle mode. For your kind of music, I personally don't think a free-air sub is a very good idea.

Also, I personally prefer a boxed sub to a free-air sub, but that's just me
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Rainbow and GZ combo.hmmm.. That would be first here.

But seriously ID goes beautifully with Rainbow. Should hear to believe.
SK sir have ya heard / tried the rainbow sub ? If yes, how is it compared to ID / IDQ ?

Also i have tried 4 different subs from JBL to HERTZ with my rainbow's they all blended beautifully.

@cinclaturbo get an ID. Also take a look at this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ice-setup.html

Sam is running ID in ported.

Below is a picture of how you car should look like with 2 ID in sealed
The ones in picture are IDQ though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/32105.jpg

Another thread to look at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...v2-pics-2.html

Last edited by abhibh : 23rd December 2008 at 16:28.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:08   #10
BHPian

Rainbow sound is also nice. Heard the Hammer in someones car briefly while it was a WIP. Can get Nice & Loud . But I like an IDQ better ( in sealed box ) . More to my taste.

JBL- The ones i heard ( cant tell you model numbers though) - were quite boomy ( not to my taste at all )
Hertz- I liked the Hertz Mille sub ( very nice indeed )

Now what i'm waiting to hear are the new Dynaudio Esotar subs . Have read that they are to die for . OT am drooling to hear the Esotar components toooooo..( am hoping Santa to give me a pair for Xmas )

Last edited by sk456 : 23rd December 2008 at 17:16.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Rainbow Hammer sounds great! I remember listening to one in a well-damped Swift a while back.

I'd rate the Hammer a bit higher than the IDv3 and a bit lower than the IDQv2 (and wayyy lower than the IDQv3). The 12" Hammer is priced at about 14K. Also I think it is available only in dual 2 ohm coil. Once the supply of the IDQv2 runs out, the Hammer would be a great buy in the 14-15K range.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:20   #12
BHPian

Update.

Mono. Amp Kenwood 9104D
Sub. ID12, though im not sure if its D2 or D4.. I need to check with Gunbir.
The ID12's are now priced at 14k...
Reason i decided on this over the Hammer even though i haven't heard both, is that the ID12's will be easier to sell in Blore(we have a few cars running these) should i decide to upgrade

@Hydrashok,
Yes, i will most definitely be picking up another sub. So is it mandatory that i have to get the D2 or is there some way of managing with the D4(4 ohm) sub.

Last edited by cinclaturbo : 23rd December 2008 at 19:25.
Old 25th December 2008, 14:31   #13
BHPian

Rainbow

Isn't rainbow a german company? I heard from one of my buddies that they are amongst the most popular ICE components shipped from Germany, and used there too.
How expensive are they?
Old 26th December 2008, 11:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
Isn't rainbow a german company? I heard from one of my buddies that they are amongst the most popular ICE components shipped from Germany, and used there too.
How expensive are they?
Yes Rainbow are German Speakers. They are distributed by BBW in India . Gunbir / Autophile represent Rainbow. Prices range from from 10K to 11 lakhs. take a pick as per your budget. Very nice indeed.
Old 9th January 2009, 22:56   #15
BHPian

ICE Query For Maruti 1000-image585.jpg

ICE Query For Maruti 1000-image598.jpg

Christmas presents arrived a bit late.....but I’m not complaining .Waiting for the Hertz Hi-energy 6x9 to arrive...then I’m done collecting my audio stuff. It’s up to Anwar to get it to sound the way it should.

@Gunbir, thanks for everything…

Can't wait to install the stuff, waiting for the car to return from paint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks