Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 21:21   #1
BHPian

Help!! ICE for Accent

I need a lot of advice to improve the ICE setup in my ACCENT. I bought this car in June 2008. Then I got the following setup done for my car:

1. HU -Sony XPlode DVX ME 1100 DVD Player with AUX-IN.
2. 4 inch co-axial Sony XPlode speakers for the front.
3. 6 inch co-axial Sony Xplode speakers for the rear.
4. 7 inch LCD screen.
5. Reverse Camera (Not part if the ICE, but it adds to the pleasure !!!)

The Problem

1. The HU!! The player rarely starts playing the audio CD/ DVD on its own. Almost every time I start my car, I have to reinsert the CD/ DVD to make it play. I have got a DVD that I burnt with 897 MP3s.
To explain what I go through everyday, I drive nearly 30 minutes to reach office. In almost a year with this HU, I am listening to the first three songs in this DVD due to this reinsert thing. Imagine the pain now!!
Another thing with this is that if I want to select a random song by punching digits on my remote, the largest number that it allows to select is 151!! So song number 152- 897 are unheard

So I want to replace this HU.

I am not a big sound enthusiast. This setup has worked fine for me in terms of the sound it delivers.

Now my requirement is:
1. Sell the existing HU and Speakers (provided the budget permits).
2. Buy a new ICE set up that helps to use my reverse cam and the LCD unit. I will like to get some product with USB feature.

I think I can spend somewhere between 10-15 K (Including the resale value of the existing system).
Please suggest me a decent ICE for my car!!
Thanks in advance!!
Old 29th April 2009, 23:16   #2
BHPian

I seriously dont think you can get a good DVD player HU under 10-15k let alone new speakers, most i have heard are atleast 20k (good), dont take my word but still.
Also why replace the speakers? Is your HU a 2 din or 1 din?, you can go and sell the 7" screen with the HU and get a 2 DIN HU with a integrated LCD.
Old 29th April 2009, 23:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I seriously dont think you can get a good DVD player HU under 10-15k let alone new speakers, most i have heard are atleast 20k (good), dont take my word but still.
Also why replace the speakers? Is your HU a 2 din or 1 din?, you can go and sell the 7" screen with the HU and get a 2 DIN HU with a integrated LCD.
Thanks Abhayshanu. My first preference is to get a new HU in that budget. The speakers can wait!!
My HU is 1 DIN and I am really not interested in 2 DIN HU as that wont fit my car. Also this 7" screen works great to view movies, also for the people sitting in the back seat so that is the only part of ICE that I am haapy with and hence I really dont want to replace that.
Old 30th April 2009, 23:31   #4
BHPian

Then what i can suggest is that go in for a Normal CD player, seeing all pioneer, JVC and sony i cant find any DVD player with out a integrated 7" LCD screen, there are some which are single DIN but you can open up the screen.
These are quite expensive, you can also go in for AUX IN supported HUs or even USB ready ones, these will cost much less, also the AUX IN and/or USB ready will come under 10-15k
Old 1st May 2009, 01:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

i have a suggestion. keep the present hu for watching movies etc. and spend about 5k for a respectable head unit from the pioneer or panasonic stables. there's a nice head unit on sale in the classifieds section. its the panasonic 7703. chiragh_bir is selling it. its been used for less than a month. so you can think about that HU. pioneer also makes nice usb head units. get one of those.
as far as switching both hu's is concerned, a switch can be installed, hence making it easy to change sources.

MORAL of the story: Sony Xplod sucks!
Old 12th August 2009, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Reviving this old thread again.

Due to some reasons I had to stall the idea of chnaging the ICE set up. My priorities have chnaged now. I will be using the same HU, but want to change the speakers with a decent compos. I am not at all into listening music. So just having a setup which gives me good clarity and dosent blurrs will be enough for me. So I have two questions:

1. Which speakers to buy?
2. Where to get this installed in Hyderabad. The reason why I always look to change the ICE is that I am really unhappy with the installation. So I want everything to be taken off and installed again with new speakers with nice clarity.

TIA.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:46   #7
BHPian

Mrinal : Are you planning to change both front and rear speakers?? What is the total budget?

Last edited by mnhegde : 12th August 2009 at 16:50.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:04   #8
BHPian

Yes, I am planning to change both the front and rear speakers and I think I wil be happy to have the cost below 20K.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:19   #9
BHPian

No one is replying? :(
I know I will get replies once you guys have some time
Old 13th August 2009, 15:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
Reviving this old thread again.

Due to some reasons I had to stall the idea of chnaging the ICE set up. My priorities have chnaged now. I will be using the same HU, but want to change the speakers with a decent compos. I am not at all into listening music. So just having a setup which gives me good clarity and dosent blurrs will be enough for me. So I have two questions:

1. Which speakers to buy?
2. Where to get this installed in Hyderabad. The reason why I always look to change the ICE is that I am really unhappy with the installation. So I want everything to be taken off and installed again with new speakers with nice clarity.

TIA.
For 20K, here is the suggestion :-

Rear Co-axials : JBL GTO 937 or the latest version ( dont know the model number) : Rs.4.5K

Front Stage : JBL 607C components : Rs.5.5K

Good Wiring Set : Scoch ( 2.5K), this is important since the wiring in your current installation may not be of good quality

Get a good 4-Channel AMP : JBL ( not aware about the latest models) for about 7K and power 2-chanel to comps and 2 to the coaxails and expect a sweet sound

Here you go within 20K you will get yourself a fab system.

Regarding where to get it done, Xenex at Madhapur does a good job even if he is slightly expensive. But, take the costing first and tell him your from TBHP and he will give you discount.

You can also go to JBL authorized dealer at Mojamjahi Market, near karachi bakery in Abids. He too will give you a discount.

Trick is to ask the price in a few places and then decide where you want to get it done.

Cheers !
Old 13th August 2009, 15:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
I wil be happy to have the cost below 20K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
For 20K, here is the suggestion :-

Rear Co-axials : JBL GTO 937
Front Stage : JBL 607C components
Good Wiring Set : Scoch ( 2.5K
Get a good 4-Channel AMP : JBL
JBL GT5/ Blau Thc/Thx series 6" components and 6x9 coax will run you about 9K
A good 4 ch amp form blau, jbl, pio, or kenny will ciost you 6-7K
that leaves 5k for damping, power cable and 2 sets RCA wires
Old 13th August 2009, 16:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
that leaves 5k for damping, power cable and 2 sets RCA wires
Damping is really not required since he is not going for a Sub. Else, it's mandatory for an Accent since the boot area and rear number plate rattles like crazy, atleast it used to in my Accent.

Even damping didnt help so i removed the rear number plate and pasted a waterproof sticker that looks like a number plate, no rattles anymore
Old 13th August 2009, 18:39   #13
BHPian

Thanks a lot navin ji and mobike gaaru!

As you have said, I am not happy with the wiring. So that is a must.
Do you think that the amp is neccesary? In my current set-up I rarely go upto the half of the noise level. I guess damping will be done if needed.
I am little apprehensive about the XENEX. Shall I go there? It is very near to me.

Nice idea to use a sticker

OT: @ mobike gaaru - I was thinking of mentioning some restaurant here to get your attention .

Last edited by MrinalSinha : 13th August 2009 at 18:42.
Old 13th August 2009, 19:13   #14
BHPian

To add to all the discussion, I dont think I have space for Sub in my boot. I carry big cricket KIT bags every weekend in my boot. But, if there is a small sub which is not heavy on my pocket, I might give in to the temptation of having one in the car.
Old 13th August 2009, 22:33   #15
BHPian

Went to Xenex to get a quote. The prices quoted are:

Amp JBL GT5- A604 -8000/-
JBL GTO 947 for rear - 6000/-
JBL GT5 XXX (missed noting this down) for front 3450/-
Wires JBL - 3500/-
Return value for my existing speakers - Max 1000/- after inspection.

Total expenditure - 21000/-
Team-Bhp discount - 1500/-

What do you guys say now? I was quoted 3000/- as buy back 2 months back for these Sony speakers by a shop at road number 10 Banjara Hills. That guy was quoting few team-bhpians who had got their ICE done at his place. He had Polk audio and JBL speakers but was insiting on Audible Dynamics. I still have the bookelt will try to scan it and post tommorow morning. I got his contact through the Utsav website (High Security Number plate).

Most Viewed