Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 23:44   #1

ICE system for Sx4 with new HU

Well I am considering an ICE for the Sx4 .
As you are aware the recent cars of Maruti seem to have the Head unit in a 2-DIN enclosure, and so selecting a 2 HU seems necessary to preserve the looks.

I checked out a Sony G77 HU ( 2 DIN) having MP3/WMA with rear USB.
This was the deal offered by the Maruthi dealer.
HU: Sony Xplod CD Receiver - WX-GT77UI @ Rs 14,000
Front: JBL comp gt5 265c @ Rs 5990
or JBL GT5 265 (6") @ Rs 3490
Rear: JBL GTO 947 limited edition @ 5990
or JBL GT 5396 @ Rs 4490
Wooden tray: Rs 1500
Dash Unit (Scotsche): Rs 2500

I decided on the following:

1.I read earlier in the other threads that few thumb rules like same manufacturer for both speakers on one hand and speakers from the same series on the other. Does this configuration will satisfy the latter rule (same series)?

2. Earlier the installer which is at Mandovi dealer cox Town itself quoted 5000 for the Dash unit for which I suggested Scotsche.Is it reasonable to say the price of 5000 Rs is realistic for dash unit OE look ?

3. Are Sony HU reliable enough i.e. it lasts? I generally the HU to last long. Hint. The present Matiz was bought in 2000.
I had to eliminate Alpine since I was informed there is no service network in Bangalore.So it was down to Sony and Pioneer. The Sony look was really good plus I got to hear it first hand installed in a Ritz .
Mu budget is around 30,000 Rs max. Any suggestions on speakers in the whereabouts or equivalent prices as above is welcome.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sony HU's are known to produce bad sq. There is no compulsion for you to use a double din to preserve the look AFAIK. You can get an empty din slot below a single din HU. It would still look good.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:23   #3
BHPian

if you do not have budget constraints go in for a JVC AVX 814 Reciever or The Pioneer 5050DVD . had fitted the former in my SX4
Old 29th July 2009, 10:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingSwords View Post
I decided on the following:
Hi,

Since you have decided on a Double-Din Hu, i feel its best if you up your budget a bit and go in for a touch Screen DVD HU like the JVC 814 which costs 20-23k. It will look rich in your dash with the Scosche Dash-kit. Would almost look as good as stock. It would also play your dvd movies, audio, mp3s, USB pen drives, sd cards...............and you can also attach a reversing camera and view the rear image on you HU itself (since reversing the SX4 without parking sensors/camera is a bit of a problem)

Just as a reference, here is a pic of how a touch screen HU looks in a slightly old and batterred SX4 dash-kit

ICE system for Sx4 with new HU-11082008007.jpg

I had taken this pic at a friendly accessory store who had a used sx4 dash-kit. The purpose of this pic was just to get an idea of how the touch screen would actually look in the dash.

If i were you i would avoid getting the installation done at Maruti since the prices of ICE at the dealers premises are significantly higher than the independent accessory market. Just make sure the HU is installed using the car specific wiring harness thereby avoiding any cutting and splicing to the OE wiring. This will most definately save you from any car warranty issues in the future.

Here is what i would recommend for you.

Head Unit - JVC 814 Touch Screen DVD HU - 23k
Scosche Dash Kit - 2k
Front Speakers - 6.5" comps (JBL GTO/ Bull Audio/ Illusion Electras) in the stock location on the front door-6k
Rear Speakers - 6.5" co-axials (JBL GTO/ Bull Audio/ Illusion Electras) in the stock location on the rear door-4k
Total - 35k.

Please avoid installing oval 6 X 9 speakers on the parcel tray. You will have to cut the parcel tray and the metal below it to accomodate the speakers and honestly it will spoil the look as well. Make use of the lovely 6.5" stock locations on the front as well as rear doors.

In the future you can always add a 4ch amp to power the speakers and a Mono amp to power a sub

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 29th July 2009 at 10:40.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:43   #5
BHPian

Hey just my 2 paise, stay away from sony HUs and speakers.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

@cooldude: Sony does not produce 'bad SQ' - it is not good enough

First, the showroom guy is charging you MRP, and not giving you any discounts. Please realize that the audio guy is an extension of the car showroom, run in an outsourced mode by an external party, and has nothing to do either with Maruti or Mandovi Motors. Mandovi Motors are actually distributors of Blaupunkt.

If you tell him this, the first thing he is going to tell you is "sir, if you get the music system fitted by someone else, the warranty on the car would be void"! You have the right to tell him what he can do with / to himself, since the vehicle warranty cannot be voided by Maruti for installing permissible accessories, and definitely not so by agencies other than the dealer from whom the car is bought.

A Pioneer 6050UB, or a Kenwood 2090 / 4050 / 4070 / 4090 / 5070 / 5110, is any day better than the Sony G77 in terms of reliability, features and quality of sound.

Why would you need the Scosche Dash Unit for? Doesn't SX4 come ready for dropping in a 1DIN or 2DIN unit? Please check once again. Also, what is the wooden plank for?

At that price, you would get JBL GTO608c components with b&w, and the 947 for around 4200!

Your money, your choice, we can only advise. But, don't let the dealer pull a fast one on you.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

SONY SQ is not bad. It is just htat their HUs have been found to be less reliable than those from Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt , etc.
Old 30th July 2009, 00:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why would you need the Scosche Dash Unit for? Doesn't SX4 come ready for dropping in a 1DIN or 2DIN unit?
The Sx4 comes with a dash-integrated Head-Unit. Here is a pic of the same.
ICE system for Sx4 with new HU-image088ii2.jpg
Soo i guess it is a must to procure a dash-kit to install an after-market Head-Unit in the SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Also, what is the wooden plank for?
I assume the wooden plank would be inorder to install 6 x 9's on the rear parcel tray which is plastic is stock form. But like i said in my earlier post, wouldn't it be far better to use the stock 6.5" door speaker locations for both front as well as rear speakers rather than cutting and modifying the rear parcel tray and the metal below it?

What do you think about it DerAlte?
Old 30th July 2009, 10:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
The Sx4 comes with a dash-integrated Head-Unit. Here is a pic of the same.
Attachment 167115
Soo i guess it is a must to procure a dash-kit to install an after-market Head-Unit in the SX4.
Does teh SX4 also have steering wheel controls. If so you will also have to get a hold of a wiring harness that allows you to continue to use the steering wheel controls. Expect the dash kit and wiring harness to cost about 12-15K.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... rear parcel tray which is plastic is stock form. But like i said in my earlier post, wouldn't it be far better to use the stock 6.5" door speaker locations ...
The plastic part is the decorative top layer. The ovals are mounted on the metal member below it - bit of cutting involved, but chalta hai. Wooden plank is not a bad idea, but the whole thing won't look stock any more unless done really well.

The difference between the rear door 6.5" and tray-mounted 6x9 is the better bass from ovals. If you are putting in a sub, rear-door 6.5" is perfectly OK.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Does teh SX4 also have steering wheel controls. If so you will also have to get a hold of a wiring harness that allows you to continue to use the steering wheel controls. Expect the dash kit and wiring harness to cost about 12-15K.
The SX4 is available in 2 versions namely the VXI and the ZXI. Only the higher spec ZXI version has steering integrated audio controls. The steering audio controls can be retained even with an aftermarket HU. All you need is a steering audio interface like the ones made by PAC which is a renowned brand. The steering audio control interface by PAC is available for around 5k in mumbai
Old 30th July 2009, 16:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The steering audio control interface by PAC is available for around 5k in mumbai
12-15K was for both the dash kit and the PAC interface.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
12-15K was for both the dash kit and the PAC interface.
Scosche SX4 Dash Kit - 2k
PAC Interface - 5k
Total - 7k

Last edited by prince85 : 30th July 2009 at 16:10.
Old 31st July 2009, 22:10   #14

On getting an empty din slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Sony HU's are known to produce bad sq. There is no compulsion for you to use a double din to preserve the look AFAIK. You can get an empty din slot below a single din HU. It would still look good.
That would have been an excellent option had I known earlier. Anyways, it was for my Mom's car and looks were of a high ,if not higher, priority. Besides, me and my folks really did not like the original OEM HU looks. Besides Mom was notin favour of a subwoofer. I enquired whether an amp was required,but the installer said it wasnt. Thought an amp + sub could be done in future.
Old 31st July 2009, 22:23   #15

At that price, you would get JBL GTO608c components with b&w, and the 947 for around 4200!

Well i asked him and he said the JBL GTO608c is not available any more. He said the JBL comp GT5 265c was recent and he showed the brochure too (with list price).
Its difficult to keep track of speaker models, its not available on the JBL site in this case both JBL GTO 608c or JBL GT5 265c. There is no JBL product list e-brochure available ( even if it is in marked up prices or MRP). That would have made things easier. Besides, as a newbie I would be fairly certain in JBL speakers.

Most Viewed