Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Damping external sound

I have a Fiat Palio MJD (bought in October 2008). I have always had slightly high external noise coming into the car while I'm driving. I have to live with the fact that the palio is a bit noisier than a lot of other cars out there.

I am slowly getting a bit frustrated because I have a Blaupunkt head unit, blaupunkt THC components in the front and THX co-axials in the rear. The setup should be enough to give me the sound I need but unfortunately when I'm driving, there is too much external noise which interferes with my music.

What is the best way to reduce this noise? Would using sound damping material help or would it just be a stupid expense?
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

You may be interested to go through both these threads...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...er-thread.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...l-damping.html
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:38   #3

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...er-thread.html (The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread)

Should help you start somewhere )
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

1. Drive with windows closed!
2. With windows closed, there will be a certain volume point at where the music overcomes the ambient noise. You need to figure this out by trial and error
3. The setup you have is good, and there is no reason why you should not be able to achieve what you want: good music at a relatively soft level
4. Yes, damping will definitely help cut down on external noise intrusion, and there is no limit you can go to. You should expect to spend about 5K to damp the car:
- inside of the outer metal panel of the door (door = front + rear + hatch)
- inner metal panel of the door
- inside the door pad wherever there are large un-damped areas which can vibrate
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:37   #5

One of the most critical things you can do for a car is to sound proof it. Whether you have a Mercedes Benz, or a Hyundai Excel, all cars can benefit from extra sound proofing (especially the Hyundai). The first thing to understand about sound proofing is that it can never be accomplished in a car. The important thing is that you can reduce the amount of external noise, and vibrations. Sound proofing will make any car feel like a million dollars. A quieter ride, less distraction, and an overall more comfortable environment are what you can expect when you start sound proofing your car. For car audio enthusiasts, this topic is critical. Nothing will lose points faster, or spoil your sound more than a resonating panel, or vibrating frame member.

Sound Proofing starts with some means of damping. A number of products are available for this, and they all have various degrees of effectiveness. The best results are always obtained from using a combination of these products. There are mats, sprays, foams, and insulation available from a number of manufacturer. More at Sound Proofing

Also you could check this -
HOW TO SOUND PROOF YOUR CAR? NOISE BLOCKING TIPS AND MATERIALS | KERETA INFO | MAJALAH KERETA MALAYSIA Car Automotive News Reviews Tips & Details

Hope it helps, Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd November 2010 at 18:45. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

@rahulraa, one doesn't have to look far on the subject than TBHP ICE section. Please read the The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread in the Product Discussions section.
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

I looked at the various threads you mentioned. The main sound dampner thread has close to 800 pages and it is impossible to read through them and find out exactly what is best for my car.

Could you help with these specific questions?

1) What is the best material to use for soundproofing? Where can I get it in Pune and how much can I expect it to cost?

2) Are there any other D-I-Y hacks available that can be any cheaper? What about butyl rubber or fibreglass? If these are good, what thickness sheets do I need and what adhesive is recommended?

-Ganesh
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:26   #8
BHPian

The following brands for damping are available here-
1. Dynamat
2. Noise kill
3. Wuerth
4. Accumat (I think it's a scosche brand)

Dynamat is a popular/ premium brand so costs more as compared to a lesser known brand like wuerth. However several people on tbhp have used wuerth and are satisfied.

It all boils down to your budget and preference so look around, get some quotes and go for it.

And avoid DIY jugaads if you are serious about reducing the NVH levels in your car. Stick to proper damping material.

And lastly, I went through the entire sound dampener thread even though I wasn't considering damping my car so there is no reason why you shouldn't. It's a different matter that after going through the thread, I realized how important it was and am now planning to get it done ASAP (just waiting for some ICE equipment to arrive).
Old 30th November 2010, 12:38   #9
BHPian

Can anyone suggest where in Pune, I can get this done well?

-Ganesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks