Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 13:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery

I wanted good quality seat covers for my Safari and I was contacting so many other seat cover manufacturers. I zeroed upon Pensee Leathers. I contacted them and they came to our door step with type of materials and designs in laptop. At present owner of Pensee Leather is Mr. Sathish Rai who is looking after its business himself.

They have mainly two types of Art leather materials. One is lower quality and other is automotive grade. I selected automotive grade one and after using for 10 days I am quite satisfied with their offering. It does not get heated much when parked in sunlight. Not slippery at all. Keep everyone's position intact.

They are also expert in genuine leather offering of seat covers and home furnishing. I did not inquire much about leather as cost of leather seat cover going beyond my budget.

For car like Safari, I cannot go with cloth material as it gets dirty in no time. Also my interior color in beige, it is more prone to get dirty. Art Leather for me obvious choice due to budget, cleaning etc.

Also, Pensee Leather provides doorstep service for fitting and taking order. I opted to visit their factory for better quality fitting. At the end I am satisfied with their offering for my Safari. I opted for Seat Covers in Automotive Grade Art Leather, Gear boot in Art Leather, Gear Lever in Genuine Leather, Handbrake cover in genuine leather, door pads.

Service Offered: Leather, Art Leather car upholstery & home furnishing (Sofa etc.)

Pros:
  • Good workmanship and experienced staffs
  • Pricing
  • Quality of materials and delivery
  • Door step service
  • Attention to user preference
  • No extra charges for any design selection. One can even draw their own design and give to them for seat covers

Cons:
  • They do not have dedicated Showroom space
  • Approach road to their factory is not very good

Proprieter Name: Mr. Sathish Rai

Address:
Pensee Leathers
Near Eshwara Temple,
Kumarans school Road,
Doddakallasandra, Kanakpura Main Road,
Bangalore
Phone: +919740552055, +919886683340
email : support@penseeleathers.com

Here are some photographs of seat cover prepared by them for my Safari:

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-img_0021-medium.jpg

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-img_0020-medium.jpg

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-img_0018-medium.jpg

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-img_0017-medium.jpg

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-img_0016-medium.jpg

Last edited by anujmishra : 12th July 2011 at 14:04.
anujmishra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 13:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery

Safari looks neat and the art leather fits perfect in terms of color,fit and finish.
can you share the price?
Old 12th July 2011, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the experience, @anujmishra.

+1 to the request above - list price please.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Price was 13K for Seat covers for highest quality material. Other Art Leather material they have comes cheap. Charges for Gear boot and Gear lever and door pads was extra.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anuj - I have said this before in your ownership thread, and would like to say it again here, so very thoughtful of you to provision for water bottle holders in your Ride. The only thing to remember is to use it gently, you wouldnt want the stitches of the bottle holder coming out.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 15:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hey Anuj - I have said this before in your ownership thread, and would like to say it again here, so very thoughtful of you to provision for water bottle holders in your Ride. The only thing to remember is to use it gently, you wouldnt want the stitches of the bottle holder coming out.
Yes, absolutely. Need to take little care of it so that stitches or Art Leather itself cannot get damaged.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I did my Spark seat cover and steering wheel cover from them. Its been almost 2 years, other than some minor issues it is fine. But I feel fit could have been better. I was standing next to my car during the whole installation processes and you need to point them the mistakes/issues. Agree with your comments, they are one of the VFM seat cover dealer for sure. Details of my seat cover is available in artleather seat cover thread. I paid around 9K for seat cover (leather+ art leather) and steering cover.
Old 31st March 2012, 16:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I missed this thread for long! I really like the color combination that you have chosen! Looks quite elegant & gels so well with the interiors. And the work on the gear lever is fine too!
Old 31st March 2012, 18:30   #9
BHPian

The truck looks good!! The workmanship seems nice too. Could you let us know about the total cost involved i.e. including the door pads and the gear knob+ boot ?
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I got my swift seat decked up today and Pensee. I got the Automotive grade PU material as seat covers and Pure leather hand stitched steering cover. I went on Friday evening after work to meet up with owner of Pensee (Satish Rai). A cordial gentleman. He patiently explained to me various types of material he has and also showed me photos of some of the recent work done by him so that I can select from the designs available.

I picked up the one that I liked and the color of the material I wanted. Then came the question of timeline and price. He quoted a price of 8300 Rs. for covers and 1300 for steering cover. On negotiating and mentioning T-BHP he offered the steering cover free with a total price of 8K for the entire job. I wanted this to be completed in the weekend so he promised me that I can get the installation done on Sunday.

Come Sunday morning I reached his factory and got the fitting of my seat covers/Steering wheel done in 2 hrs 15 min.

My rating on Team Pensee -

1. Technical knowhow - 3.5/5 (Couldn't get my Gear Knob out of the Gear stick hence couldn't get the gear knob leather work done)
2. Customer Focus - 4.5/5 (Strives to provide customer delight )
3. Quality of work - 4/5
4. Value - 4.5/5

Would I recommend Pensee to other - Yes.

I will post pictures tomorrow

Last edited by DieselFan : 2nd September 2012 at 18:32.
DieselFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I got my swift seat decked up today and Pensee. I got the Automotive grade PU material as seat covers and Pure leather hand stitched steering cover.
I will post pictures tomorrow
Can you post pics? And was the steering cover handstiched like those of karlsson or was it the readymade strip? Maybe the pictures will answer my question.
Old 12th September 2012, 20:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

^^
It is like Stanly/Karlsson, check my spark steering wheel pics in garage
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 17:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures as promised. My apologies for the delay.
Attached Thumbnails
Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-002.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-003.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-004.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-005.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-007.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-008.jpg  

Pensee Leathers: Leather and Art Leather Car upholstery-009.jpg  

Attached Images

DieselFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:35   #14
BHPian

My Experience with Pensee Leathers:

I had initially called Karlsons (taken from TBHP Bangalore Directory) for a quote for my new Liva GDSP. Couldn't catch hold of their owner, one of their store managers (dont remember his name though) attended to me on phone and patiently explained their offerings. 2 things that they could have been better:

1. Flexibility: They had asked me to be present in person for taking an apointment & choose the color, design, etc... I had called them last Tuesday and the next available apointments were for Saturday (only if I could confirm on the very same day) or the next tuesday. I even asked if I could book an apointment by sending a part-payment through NEFT, which was not agreed. So the only possibility was that I have to drive all the way to Indira Nagar twice. Once for booking + choice freeze + advance and the second time for getting the job done.

2. Price: For art-leather seat covers + genuine leather steering wheel + Genuine leather door trims, the price quoted was 17,200 (Complete Genuine Leather seating was quoted as 35K). No doscounts, he rather quoted "I'll give you the best fitments instead". As far as I have checked, this is way expensive in the market.

Browsed the directory again and called Mr. Sathish of Pensee Leathers. As many have already discussed in the Forum, they have 3 grades: Art Leather, Automotive grade and the Genuine Leather. I chose to go with a mid-ranged Automotive grade + leather finishes.

Over the phone, he quoted a total of INR 13,100 for Automotive Grade Seatings + Genuine Leather Steering Wheels, Genuine Leather Gear knob, Gear boot, Genuine leather Brake levers and Genuine leather door trims. This directly is INR 4100 lesser than Karlssons and I got all-Leather Brake handle, Gear knob, gear boot additionally included for the same price.

If one needs only the seat covers, Pensee guys come to your doorstep and do the complete job. Since my case included Door trims and other leather inserts, he insisted that I will have to visit their factory to get the Leather job done. Nevertheless, he had agreed to visit me the very next day with all sample materials and designs for the concept-freeze at my home. Since both me and my wife are working, I had asked Sathish to visit me before 7:00 AM. He said, I can be there even before. I only thought "another fellow Indian, if I say 6.30, he might reach at 7". Asked him to drop down at 6.30 AM.

To my surprise, I received an SMS at 6:20 AM from Sathish that he has already crossed Silk-Board fly over. I called him immediately and after route guidance, he arrived at my door-step exactly at 6:28 AM with his well-maintained Red Swift VDI. I was taken aback with this guy's commitment to work, decided the very moment that he is the one for the interor finishings on my car!

He had the samples from all 3 grades of materials, color samples and design photos on his laptop. in 45 mins, my wife made several comparisions and we decided on a Beige shade that was close to the Beige interiors of our new Liva GDSP. We could visualise that this would really make the car look much more elegant. Though Beige option was available in the Genuine Leather segments too, we chose to go for black for all the Genuine Leather fitments & inserts, as it would be easy to maintain. Paid an advance of 3ooo INR and we fixed that I can bring my car to his Factory the next day at 5:00 PM in the evening. (This was the earliest possible from my office).

Few updates regarding his location:
1. The roads are new now, no hassles reaching his factory
2. From Banshankari, drive in the direction of Metro Mall. Cross a signal after Metro and take the first next left "jungle-route". No major land-marks there though. His calm factory is some 1.5 kms from there.

I reached there at 5:15 PM. His boys immediately started off with work. In my experience, his team did a good job. The hand-stitched on leather inserts (steering and gear knob) were quite impressive too! By 9:00 PM, the job was fully done - it was a pleasure to watch your job done there LIVE. I did demand for a few corrections / updates when they were stitching. most of which were met too. This is the best part of being present when your job is on-going.

I have installed a Pioneer Double DIN touch-screen (2490BT) as the HU. Since there is no sun-film installed (I want to wait until a REAL judgement comes on this topic), I always wanted to hide this ICE HU which could attract any novice thief to break-open my car. Especially since my car is usually parked on street in front of my home (no covered parking available), I am not so comfortable on safety of this ICE setup. Pensee offered me an innovative solution to this problem. They had stitched a Genuine Beige leather cover (that exactly fit over the HU) with a patch of Velcro hooks. Another patch of Velcro loops was pasted on a double-side sticker (the one used to stick God-idols in the front cabin). With this setup, I have a Genuine Leather HU-cover which is almost not noticeable to a tress-passer. Since the color of this leather is almost matching to the car interior / cabin color, it is difficult to find that there is an expensive HU installed inside. Additionally, since this is a leather fitment, it adds to the interior's looks. This setup came as a Bonus-Solution FREE OF COST!!! Thanks to Sathish and team, these guys are genuinely service oriented & have passion to grow big. I am not sure if their competition would have done this, as it is a considerable sized Leather-piece + Velcro patches + stitching costs.

In my view, they have the below two advantages:
1. Location: They are'nt located in the heart of the city and hence no extra expenses on rent & infrastructure.
2. Marketing: These guys are silently doing an excellent job without much of marketing expenses. Most of their customers are through their existing customer's recommendations.

Any regular competitor to them normally don't have these advantages and obviously charge this back to their customers. As a conservative buyer, these are the best "take-away" points that gave me an excellent VFM tag with absolutely NO compromise on quality.

So, at INR 10,500, the complete PU upholstry + Leather inserts were quite satisfyingly done and I am a happy customer to Pensee. As of today, I can definitely recommend them to any prospective Auto-Head. Good Luck with them guys!

Please: I have not taken the pictures yet. Will post them by this weekend, sorry for this delay guys!

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2012 at 21:40. Reason: As per PM
Mister_M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great review Mister_M on being service received by Pensee Leathers. In my apartment few more cars done their seat covers with them and they all are equally satisfied.

My friend in buying an Aria (Pure) this month and he ditched offer of seat covers from dealer and opting for seat covers from Pensee along with his old Esteem.

Seat covers in my Safari is now more than a year old and still holding same, even it was abused a lot during my various drives pan India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks