Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 20:39   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Body Repair & Painting, Glass Repair, Detailing etc. - Trend Automobiles (Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Don't you think that for 5 panels this exorbitant? For bumpers they can always do partial painting if the dent is on one side.
How much do you think VW will charge for 5 panels repair + painting + headlight repair + full car buffing and polishing? I don't think it will be anywhere close to 27K for all that from VW.

You might get small garages that do it for much lesser maybe sub 20K but will you get the same quality?

If the quality is good and going by pics it looks like it is, I don't mind paying that 6-7K premium.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 21:08   #242
Team-BHP Support

Re: Body Repair & Painting, Glass Repair, Detailing etc. - Trend Automobiles (Bangalore)

Quote:
Don't you think that for 5 panels this exorbitant? For bumpers they can always do partial painting if the dent is on one side.
6 panels, denting work, full polishing and headlight and fog light stay repair. Without taxes it would be 23 ish I guess. So I think it's fair. Usually one panel is 4-5k at most places, bumper had scratches on other side and under side so decided full painting. We are planning a resurvey by insurance, so decided to keep it as clean as possible. This car is a city car and driven in bad traffic conditions so might as well be prepared.

Maybe could have ignored few scratches and saved 5-6k and avoided work in some panels. At the best. Anyways I think overall price is just about ok, can't call it cheap but fair. So no complaints.

Edit: VW had messed up bonnet and fender earlier and even that has been now blended in with good finish. Viddy has seen that cobweb finish of the fender when we gave the car. Unfortunately we forgot to take proper before pics, these were whatsapp pics brother send me for taking quotations.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th February 2017 at 21:13.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 21:56   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How much do you think VW will charge for 5 panels repair + painting + headlight repair + full car buffing and polishing? I don't think it will be anywhere close to 27K for all that from VW.

You might get small garages that do it for much lesser maybe sub 20K but will you get the same quality?

If the quality is good and going by pics it looks like it is, I don't mind paying that 6-7K premium.
Surely I am not going to compare this with quotes from VW. But I can assure you there are good workshops which charge as low as 2.5-3K per panel.I have repaired two panels for same color polo. Here is the quote from an online car maintenance app.
Fix Scratches and Dents - Rs. 4998.00
Rear door (L)-Remove Dents and Scratches- Rs. 2499.00
Quarter Panel (L)-Remove Dents and Scratches- Rs. 2499.00
Pick up details:
26 Sep 09:00 - 10:00
Amount: Rs. 4998.00.
The finish and gloss was much better than VW whom I have used multiple times.
If you go for more panels automatically the price should come down. They do full body painting for 21K.
Also technically you should not buff or wax a newly painted panel atleast for a month.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:03   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The finish and gloss was much better than VW whom I have used multiple times.
If you go for more panels automatically the price should come down. They do full body painting for 21K.
Online apps imo are a hit and miss. On top of that who do you hold accountable if it's not satisfactory? These aggregator companies for most services not just car have the same issues. So that's something I wouldn't try unless I know the shop where it's being done at.

Quote:
Also technically you should not buff or wax a newly painted panel atleast for a month.
Not completely true. You shouldn't wax the new panels. The new panel anyways has to be buffed once painted else the paint won't smoothen out.

In this case the entire car other than the new panels was buffed/rubbed and then waxed.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:10   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Online apps imo are a hit and miss. On top of that who do you hold accountable if it's not satisfactory? These aggregator companies for most services not just car have the same issues. So that's something I wouldn't try unless I know the shop where it's being done at.
That is right. But I insisted on taking the car to the garage myself. The work was done at a Bosch service center. I did the payment only after inspection of work.

Quote:
Not completely true. You shouldn't wax the new panels. The new panel anyways has to be buffed once painted else the paint won't smoothen out.

In this case the entire car other than the new panels was buffed/rubbed and then waxed.
Not clear how much this is true. I had visited Trend for a denting job and they told they don't need clear coat on this color of Polo. I buffed the paint with polish the next day and color came out like anything. So now I wait for one month to buff the newly painted panels.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:16   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is right. But I insisted on taking the car to the garage myself. The work was done at a Bosch service center. I did the payment only after inspection of work.
Actually I went to the newly opened Bosch workshop which is company owned and not a franchise in Electronics City and the paint work seemed good. Prices were higher than Trend.

If you see Jaggu's post, that was the debate we were having. To try the new Bosch company outlet or just stick to Trend.

Quote:
Not clear how much this is true. I had visited Trend for a denting job and they told they don't need clear coat on this color of Polo. I buffed the paint with polish the next day and color came out like anything. So now I wait for one month to buff the newly painted panels.
Once the car comes out of paint, you need to do paint correction which involves wet sanding and buffing irrespective of paint. This is standard post painting process. Else you will never get the smooth and mirror finish on the paint.

Now the colour coming off when buffing depends on the type of paint. I am not sure if the polo has a laquer coat for the solid colours? This will happen if your paint does not have a clear/laquer coating and is a solid paint.

If you have laquer the colour doesn't come off.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Once the car comes out of paint, you need to do paint correction which involves wet sanding and buffing irrespective of paint. This is standard post painting process. Else you will never get the smooth and mirror finish on the paint.

Now the colour coming off when buffing depends on the type of paint. I am not sure if the polo has a laquer coat for the solid colours? This will happen if your paint does not have a clear/laquer coating and is a solid paint.

If you have laquer the colour doesn't come off.
If you go via car maintenance app, the charges will be much lower. The only thing you need to do is ask for the list of workshops.

The flash red color on Polo is water based. I don't think laquer is applied. So the paint is very soft for few days. Wet sanding can completely screw up the finish. Even minor buffing with microfiber during first few days can create hairline scratches and swirls. I have experienced this myself.
Again I am not an expert in car paints. Just stating what I have seen and told by the workshop guys.
I had done a paint job at Sai colorium once. When I was there painting was going on. He asked me to wait for 2 hours and drive the car home. No sanding, no buffing.

Last edited by poloman : 8th February 2017 at 22:37.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:40   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The flash red color on Polo is water based. I don't think laquer is applied. So the paint is very soft for few days. Wet sanding can completely screw up the finish. Even minor buffing with microfiber during first few days can create hairline scratches and swirls. I have experienced this myself.
I had done a paint job at Sai colorium once. When I was there painting was going on. He asked me to wait for 2 hours and drive the car home. No sanding, no buffing.
Have never seen any paint finish just being sprayed on and then you drive off. Post painting you need to first wet sand and then to remove the wet sanding scratches, buff to get the gloss and smooth paint finish. Just spraying is just half the paint process.

I can check with the painting guys I know and confirm this specifically for the Polo.
Old 9th February 2017, 11:12   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Surely I am not going to compare this with quotes from VW. But I can assure you there are good workshops which charge as low as 2.5-3K per panel.
Quote:
Online apps imo are a hit and miss. On top of that who do you hold accountable if it's not satisfactory?
Quote:
That is right. But I insisted on taking the car to the garage myself.
Quote:
If you see Jaggu's post, that was the debate we were having. To try the new Bosch company outlet or just stick to Trend.
The car was needed back in 3 days and i did not want to do any experiments and the location of Trend was super convenient since it was 3 Kms away from our house in HSR.

Quote:

Solid colors are mostly solid paint, so you paint and then use buffing compound first to get the finish and cover it with wax. Metallic paints usually are with clear coat, so you wet sand the clear and finish off with buff and polish. This is what i know from old days.

Quote:
Wet sanding can completely screw up the finish. Even minor buffing with microfiber during first few days can create hairline scratches and swirls. I have experienced this myself.
Wet sanding maybe, but a machine buff using compound wont, what you noticed is correct. These paints will come off (since that is the way they are designed to act for finishing) when you try to polish. I still remember the applicator in 3M turning red after 2 months of painting bumper of this same car. So it is not 2 days but even 2 months it will remove the color onto the applicator. Now if you are a professional you will know how to correct the swirls and imperfections using the right products. So more than the paint it is the products that matter.

Maybe other experts in these area can throw some more light.

Quote:
Have never seen any paint finish just being sprayed on and then you drive off. Post painting you need to first wet sand and then to remove the wet sanding scratches, buff to get the gloss and smooth paint finish. Just spraying is just half the paint process.

I can check with the painting guys I know and confirm this specifically for the Polo.
Do check Viddy, but yes wet sanding is usually limited to metallic and clear coat finishes, the traditional solid paints are only buffing and polishing as far as i know. That is why they add an extra layer or two to cut through.

I really don't know what we are debating here? i just wrote a review rating Trend work as good, i never said it is SUPER CHEAP. But on the same note i am happy with the overall finish and i really don't mind paying a little some more for that, which i found as REASONABLE. The overall service, the customer relation they provided me, the timeliness they met and the convenience of location for me, all add to the GREAT experience i had. And all of this was totally without me needing to get into any sort of supervision or debates with them. For that i don't think I would mind giving away that "one night out in the city" kinda money
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:36   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do check Viddy, but yes wet sanding is usually limited to metallic and clear coat finishes, the traditional solid paints are only buffing and polishing as far as i know. That is why they add an extra layer or two to cut through.
Wet sanding is done irrespective of solid or metallic paint finish. Sanding and compounding is required post painting to smoothen the surface and give a slick finish to it. Solid paints do not required clear coat now a days.

When I got my Linea's bonnet painted at Trends I had asked to only sand it and leave it. I took delivery, compounded it the next day myself at home. Too paranoid you see

One of the reason I have heard about not waxing the surface immediately post painting is that paint vaporizes to a certain extent in the first few days. This helps in curing and giving it better life. Have personally not confirmed how true it is though.

A red punto which was painted a month or so ago and I did not observe any reddish residue on the polishing pads during the polishing when the car was detailed recently.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:51   #251
Senior - BHPian

It looked like they were few Bhpians cars during the same week my car was given at Trend. I noticed a GT TSI, a Linea, Baleno and couple more Polo's.

My car suffered a dent on the bumper and hatch during a reverse onto a solid iron post in Goa and thereby rendering the hatch latch jammed.
This is my third visit here the first one being a paintless dent removal.

There was another dent on the left running board just ahead of the rear wheel due to the jack slipping, which I wanted to fix as well.
The rear hatch was fixed and painted along with spot painting of the running board after dent removal. The metal frame inside the bumper was damaged slightly as well which bumped up the estimate slightly.

Overall work was satisfactory except for some paint over spray on the tyre and the wheel well.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 16:07   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Wet sanding is done irrespective of solid or metallic paint finish. Sanding and compounding is required post painting to smoothen the surface and give a slick finish to it. Solid paints do not required clear coat now a days.
Again, please check what kind of solid paint is being used. Water based paints are extremely soft and needs proper setting time before being buffed. The entire paint will be on your buffer if not done properly. I think some paint booths bake the panel for faster turn around time. My car was bleeding color even after 3 weeks.
Old 9th February 2017, 16:17   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again, please check what kind of solid paint is being used. Water based paints are extremely soft and needs proper setting time before being buffed. The entire paint will be on your buffer if not done properly. I think some paint booths bake the panel for faster turn around time. My car was bleeding color even after 3 weeks.
My car and the Punto which I mentioned were done at Trends and it is a solvent based and not water based.

Both my car and Punto did not have any of the issues you mentioned, paint being soft, color coming off on the buffer. Absolutely none of these.
Old 26th February 2017, 21:54   #254
BHPian

My oceanic blue linea tjet was badly in need of tinkering. Front and rear bumper, and two quarter panels. Thanks to our new apartments basement parking. Could be used by RTO officials for driving test. If some body manages to park with out dents could be a very smart driver.

Fiat (Vecto) quoted INR 50K and 15 days to repair. Finally got it done at Trend for approx. INR 14K and another 1.8 k for polishing. Work done in 3 days, very professional and clean work.
Old 27th February 2017, 21:11   #255
BHPian

Do they(Trend) also handle insurance related work? I scraped my skoda Laura over a stone while parking & there is damage below both doors. Am thinking the ASS would be very expensive for such work?

Most Viewed