Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore

While commuting to work I had observed that an automated car wash center was getting ready and had made a mental note to visit it. Few days later, I saw that they were open for service and my car too needed a wash so decided to try them. I had been on short holiday and the car had collected about 600kms of dirt and dust. I happened to be their first day of operations (23 Feb 2013)

Please note, as it was day one, things were not fully functionally and the workers lacked experience. Things may have improved over time.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-193.jpg

I meet the owner, who seemed to be a very enterprising young guy, who wanted to become an entrepreneur and started this. He claimed that this was India’s first automated car wash. I had seen one in 1998 in Mangalore. But that place didn’t run well and was closed down. I shared the same with him but he was quick to point out that his equipment is state-of-the-art.

Stage 1: Mats taken out and wheel well and tyres cleaned. Engine bay cleaned.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-194.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-196.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-199.jpg

Stage 2: Interior cleaned

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-211.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-212.jpg

Stage 3: Automated washer is switched on. (Tip: Remember to remove the radio antenna)
There was some kind of sticky substance on the vehicle we let it be to check if the machine would clean it. The owner seemed confident but I wasn’t.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-195.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-197.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-198.jpg

Step 1: The machine maps out the vehicle size and dimensions.

Step 2: It begins the wash by spraying water and the brush spinning right after. It must be fun for to sit in the car during the whole process. The kids and adults seemed to like it. Car wash can be fun for the whole family! I didn’t sit in the car as I wanted to document the process in detail. Things I do for Tbhp

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-200.jpg
mac187 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Proton Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore

Step 3: The wheels are cleaned and vehicle too. I guess the lower jets work at this step to clean the underbody, but during my visit it was not yet operational.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-201.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-202.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-203.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-206.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-213.jpg

Step 4: A blow dryer removes all the water. It does a very good job. Leftover spots of water is cleaned by tissue paper.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-209.jpg

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-210.jpg

Step 5: The machine sprays wax on the vehicle. This is a nice touch but problem is you end up with spots on the windshield. I think someone should clean the windshield manually at the end of the wash. Then we checked if the machine was able to clean the stick substance, it hadn’t. Some manually labour did the trick.

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-217.jpg

Step 6: Fix your antenna and drive away. Please note, I do not encourage cheating someone, so please pay before you drive away.

Verdict: Overall a good concept and makes car wash a fun thing to do. I the machine does a fine job in cleaning regular dirt and dust. You may need to keep an eye for that stubborn grease, tar spots. Not sure how the machine would work on muck covered Jeep.

Last edited by mac187 : 3rd April 2013 at 16:02.
mac187 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore

Thanks for documenting and sharing the process Mac.

I have corrected the thread title as it appears in the first pic.

There was an automatic car wash in Palace Guttahalli area many years back and this was at a Maruti Authorized Service Station. The charges were around 200 - 250 bucks for a body wash.

Sadly that MASS shut shop a few years back.

I'm curious to know how the quality of wash at this place compares with 3M.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2013 at 16:21.
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:37   #4
BHPian

Re: Proton Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
While commuting to work I had observed that an automated car wash center was getting ready and had made a mental note to visit it. Few days later, I saw that they were open for service and my car too needed a wash so decided to try them. I had been on short holiday and the car had collected about 600kms of dirt and dust. I happened to be their first day of operations (23 Feb 2013)
Thanks for the info mate, but you forgot to mention the location...
Can you please let us know the exact location, I stay somewhere in the vicinity would like to give it a try.

Last edited by Chuchan : 3rd April 2013 at 16:38.
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am somehow not able to make out the exact location of this place .
Could please let us know any nearby landmarks for the same .
Also are the prices inclusive of taxes ?

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
There was some kind of sticky substance on the vehicle we let it be to check if the machine would clean it. The owner seemed confident but I wasn’t.
Are those tar marks on the car?

If yes, I am eager to know who was proven right, you or the owner?
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I meet the owner, who seemed to be a very enterprising young guy, who wanted to become an entrepreneur and started this. He claimed that this was India’s first automated car wash. I had seen one in 1998 in Mangalore. But that place didn’t run well and was closed down. I shared the same with him but he was quick to point out that his equipment is state-of-the-art.
The first Automated Car Wash was done by MRF at the Tyredrome in early 1990s in Chennai - Cathedral Road, It was such an unique experience those days to see the cars being washed by a machine.

Just thought I would correct the Pronto Owners perception.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2013 at 17:26. Reason: quoted text shortened
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:51   #8
BHPian

Prices are economical and should be good during 'month end days' if the car is dirty Btw, you forgot to mention address/direction. Google search reveals below location (very close to where i stay!) Is this the accurate location?

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=12.91237,77.643862

Bike wash is a very welcome move, i was stuck with out a proper place to get the scoots and my bike at home washed/cleaned, will pay them a visit if they are located where google shows.

Last edited by vaas2000 : 3rd April 2013 at 16:52.
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:55   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review. I also tend to disagree with it being India's first. Back in 2008 I have seen this same machine being used in Maruti Sales and Service, Nariana, Delhi. Though, I am not sure if that machine was capable of spraying wax. Also, Maruti used it for a couple of months and later reverted to manual cleaning.
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:56   #10
BHPian

I have seen several of these (and sat inside the vehicle through many) in Muscat and Dubai in the 1990s. They have started appearing in Tamil Nadu and Kerala too recently. I used one in Tirupur a year back (Rs. 400, including interiors) and in Guruvayur (Rs. 450, including interiors), and twice recently in Kochi (Rs. 350, including interiors).

Only the Kochi one allowed us to sit in the car...
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:42   #11
BHPian

Ah you beat me to the update. Last week I got my car washed here and also had a long chat with the owner Waseem. Will upload the photos and video also shortly. However for 199 bucks and a 10 minute wait it is definitely worth it.

Adding the snaps, video will follow shortly...
Attached Thumbnails
Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-20130328_190146.jpg  

Pronto Automated Car and Bike Wash – HSR Layout, Bangalore-20130328_184610.jpg  

Last edited by sumathindra : 3rd April 2013 at 17:53.
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is a welcome change from the regular car wash centres. I guess there is one at Kamanahalli (read somewhere that the H4WK does his servicing there). I would probably pay a visit to Pronto, mid of this month, once I end up dirtying my car enough.

Few of my likes and dislikes:

Pricing (Including Waxing):
Pricing is good. I have a Hatchback and my neighborhood car wash station charges Rs.300 (Full Body Wash) for all the tasks listed above, except the waxing. So I am fine paying Rs.49 more for waxing. Pretty cheap I think.

Time: I assume that the time taken to do a Full Wash (excluding interior cleaning) would take less amount of time compared to the neighborhood wash station.

Location: Good that it is set up in HSR Layout. I see a major chunk of IT Population residing in South B'lore (BTM, HSR, K'mangla, Jayanagar, Sarjapur).

Dislikes:

Not Efficient Cleaning:
I have a notion that it cannot perfectly clean the underbody, wheel walls, etc. It is a more pleasant experience asking my neighborhood guy to clean "that" specific spot that I see while the cleaning is in progress. Well, it could be different too.

Scratches: I am still not very comfortable leaving my car to massive automatic brushes all around it. What if one of the bristles is hard ? Do I have a risk of swirls ? Yes, I think so.

My Verdict:
Definitely a welcome change. Takes less time. Will go for it might be once a quarter. The remaining two months, I would still visit my neighborhood car wash station.
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas2000 View Post
Kool, this is very near to my house .
Will surely check them out whenever i plan to get the car washed .
The way its raining i think , this guy will get a good amount of business if he does the job well .

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:24   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks for documenting and sharing the process Mac.

I have corrected the thread title as it appears in the first pic.

I'm curious to know how the quality of wash at this place compares with 3M.
Thank you for correcting the title, Dyslexia, I tell you, its not even funny.

I haven't got 3M foam wash yet, but I can guess it would better as individual spots can be taken care of. This machine is good for dust and dirt that get collected over a period of time. Recently my car was pink in colour post holi and I went to manual wash center as I was sure they would do a better job than the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
Can you please let us know the exact location, I stay somewhere in the vicinity would like to give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Could please let us know any nearby landmarks for the same .
Also are the prices inclusive of taxes ?

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas2000 View Post
Prices are economical and should be good during 'month end days' if the car is dirty Btw, you forgot to mention address/direction. Google search reveals below location (very close to where i stay!) Is this the accurate location?

https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=12.91237,77.643862

Bike wash is a very welcome move, i was stuck with out a proper place to get the scoots and my bike at home washed/cleaned, will pay them a visit if they are located where google shows.
Sorry guys didn't mention the exact location. It is on the main road leading to Nandi cool joint from McDonalds. On your left after HDFC bank you will find it. Another landmark would be diagonally opposite to Reliance digital.

The prices are inclusive of tax and is indeed economical. Though it says bike wash I am not really sure if the bike would get truly cleaned by the machine. Those hard to reach places between the engine and carb where excess fuel would have left a stain, oil mixed with dirt on the engine oil cap. Surely these cant be done only by the machine. I would love to be proved wrong. Please post your experience if you take your bike there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Are those tar marks on the car?

If yes, I am eager to know who was proven right, you or the owner?
I am not sure what it was, but it wasn't tar marks. The before and after picture where shared, I missed indicating the same. Sharing again below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
Only the Kochi one allowed us to sit in the car...
Thats sounds silly, there shouldnt be any problem if someone is sitting in the car. I wonder why it is not allowed in the other places. At Pronto, they were asking people to sit in the car and enjoy the experience. Must admit, it does have a novelty factor. I wanted to sit inside too but I am Tbhpian first and it was my duty to document it and put Tbhp above self!
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:28   #15
BHPian

Great finding mac187
The prices looks cheap, and I am planning to try this in the coming weekend.

I am not staying in HSR. When I visited there last weekend, I have seen some similar kind of set-up(Remember seeing the automated washing platform) in the 24th main road. It was called something like 'Express Car wash'. The exact location is here: http://maps.google.co.in/maps?q=12.9...t=m&gl=in&z=16
Anyone have any details about this ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks