Team-BHP - Quick Wheel Alignment & Balancing - Shiv Shakthi Tyres (JC Road, Bangalore)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangalore/)
-   -   Quick Wheel Alignment & Balancing - Shiv Shakthi Tyres (JC Road, Bangalore) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangalore/145514-quick-wheel-alignment-balancing-shiv-shakthi-tyres-jc-road-bangalore.html)

I'd bought a pre-worshipped Linea this September and all seemed well till my last drive after I jumped a hump. There was no oil leak or any apparent damage, so I drove on.

Since the past 800 kms the cars highway mileage has reduced from 23kmpl to 18kmpl, so felt that I had to get the wheels balanced and aligned, but just couldn't find the time to go to Madhus.

Yesterday I happened to pass by JC Road and decided to get it done there anyway. I stopped by this place and asked them their price. "650 for B&A sir", "thoda kum karo, 600 mein kardo", "sure".

4 guys got into action. 1 guy took the car inside to park it properly for alignment. Another guy put the jack and lifted the car, another guy started takin the LHS wheels out. By then one of them readied the alignment comp, each wheel was aligned (after checking blow) within 40 seconds! It looked like my car got into some F1 Pitstop! Then the RHS. They even rotated the tyres depending on wear. Tyres balanced, they then aligned them.

I took a video : http://youtu.be/eSBr-l2xSak

I was chatting with one of the guys, he's all about how business was low. Then while the alignment was going on, he showed me that the Chamber needs to be adjusted and asked if I had warranty I should get it done at the Fiat ASC ASAP.

Quick Wheel Alignment & Balancing - Shiv Shakthi Tyres (JC Road, Bangalore)-image2229770594.jpg

I don't have warranty, but I didn't push them to do it coz I felt ,"There must be some technical settings for the chamber, what if they don't have the setting..." And anyway that would take some time and I hadn't the luxury so I asked them to skip that. He told me it'll cost 1,400/- and I'd need to give them atleast an hours time for that next visit.

I'm quite sure these guys would give you quite a bargain if you try (~400 for wheel alignment & balancing). The dedication they showed was good. I was literally in and out within 10 minutes. Moreover, since this is something we'd need every 2nd month, I think they'll gladly offer a better price.

Edit : They repair bent alloys too.

Try it. Contact details here :
Quick Wheel Alignment & Balancing - Shiv Shakthi Tyres (JC Road, Bangalore)-image3345911354.jpg

Main point : The Camber setting is supposedly way off. Would it affect tyres/suspension badly if I went for a ~1000kms? Also, any clue why my FE is taking a beating suddenly. Car has done 67k kms. The major service @60k kms service was done in June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3318614)
Since the past 800 kms the cars highway mileage has reduced from 23kmpl to 18kmpl, so felt that I had to get the wheels balanced and aligned, but just couldn't find the time to go to Madhus.

Sorry Bhavin but I don't see the connection here of Low FE and misaligned or imbalanced wheels!

Assuming that you have the right pressure in all the wheels, steering components in place, a drag either to left or right when steering is held lightly or not held at all is a hint that you need to get the wheels aligned.

An unusual wobble at certain speeds (usually after 90-100kmph band) that reduces if you drive above or below these speeds if a hint that your wheels are imbalanced and need attention - Provided your wheels don't have uneven wear,no patch work, bearings in good condition etc.

Unless you have these symptoms, I don't see a reason to get the wheels aligned or balanced over and above the regular A&B job that we do every 5000 kms as a good practice.

I thought this could be a contributing factor Paragbhai coz slight left drag was there (Kalpaj told me in the beginning itself) and it'd been 7000kms since the seller got it done, so I thought I'd get it done anyway.

Any clue why the FE could go low? Air pressure is same 35psi. Mainly for the overall health of the vehicle I wanna know. Any specific points I could check?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3318670)
Any clue why the FE could go low? Air pressure is same 35psi. Mainly for the overall health of the vehicle I wanna know. Any specific points I could check?

Could be just anything right from a clogged Air Filter to your driving style or the road pattern/traffic or the fuel initially.

Suspecting anything apart from this, viz, clogged manifold considering the number or kilometers run, Bad combustion etc is something that I will think later. Question like whether the Turbo is kicking in properly and doing its job too get introduced later on.

Lets discuss this over a relevant thread as this will certainly hijack the purpose of the topic which is about wheel alignment and Balancing :).

I am sorry if i have missed it. But i fail to understand how this has landed into the Bangalore directory section! Is there something about their service which stands out from the rest of the crowd? That is the whole point of the Directory section right? Othwise , one can list all the places where they provide a decent service in bangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3318614)

4 guys got into action. 1 guy took the car inside to park it properly for alignment. Another guy put the jack and lifted the car, another guy started takin the LHS wheels out. By then one of them readied the alignment comp, each wheel was aligned (after checking blow) within 40 seconds! It looked like my car got into some F1 Pitstop! Then the RHS. They even rotated the tyres depending on wear. Tyres balanced, they then aligned them.

Main point : The Camber setting is supposedly way off. Would it affect tyres/suspension badly if I went for a ~1000kms? Also, any clue why my FE is taking a beating suddenly. Car has done 67k kms. The major service @60k kms service was done in June.

Looks too fast to even get half the work done. 40 seconds for alignment? To attach each wheel target or sensor, you will require that much time. Guess its better you get it done in a non Pitstop type shop. Alignment is too precise a job to be done in a hurry. That too achieving 0.00 toe cant be done so soon from what I have seen in my alignment visits. A major difference like +-2.00 can be brought down to 0.~~ but after that it will take a bit of time.

And how did they do both balancing and alignment so soon?
Did they not charge you extra for weights?
Why is it that camber changed from initial to final readings when camber was not altered? Guess the machine did not give the right readings or was not calibrated well.

I recommend you visit a different shop next time you plan to get the wheels aligned. This definitely looks fishy. Pardon me as I have not personally visited this establishment, but from your experience I am not convinced on several aspects.

Anyways, regarding the camber, I have a similar case of a packed up camber value in my SX4, which was caused during an accident. 10k kms after the accident, I have not yet encountered any problem with steering or the tyre wear. Anyways I am going to get it fixed after I get to know what exactly is causing the issue. Since I dont want to entrust the job to ASC, I will need to get it done in my presence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3318903)
I am sorry if i have missed it. But i fail to understand how this has landed into the Bangalore directory section! Is there something about their service which stands out from the rest of the crowd? That is the whole point of the Directory section right? Othwise , one can list all the places where they provide a decent service in bangalore

I thought the "Express service" was something noteworthy after having read people waiting for 1 - 2 hours at Madhu's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 3319012)
Looks too fast to even get half the work done. 40 seconds for alignment? To attach each wheel target or sensor, you will require that much time. Guess its better you get it done in a non Pitstop type shop. Alignment is too precise a job to be done in a hurry. That too achieving 0.00 toe cant be done so soon from what I have seen in my alignment visits. A major difference like +-2.00 can be brought down to 0.~~ but after that it will take a bit of time.

And how did they do both balancing and alignment so soon?
Did they not charge you extra for weights?
Why is it that camber changed from initial to final readings when camber was not altered? Guess the machine did not give the right readings or was not calibrated well.

I recommend you visit a different shop next time you plan to get the wheels aligned. This definitely looks fishy. Pardon me as I have not personally visited this establishment, but from your experience I am not convinced on several aspects.

Anyways, regarding the camber, I have a similar case of a packed up camber value in my SX4, which was caused during an accident. 10k kms after the accident, I have not yet encountered any problem with steering or the tyre wear. Anyways I am going to get it fixed after I get to know what exactly is causing the issue. Since I dont want to entrust the job to ASC, I will need to get it done in my presence.

40 secs for Balancing each tyre, hence the video.

Alignment took 5-7 mins.

They said the price included weights.

You're right. I'll get camber adjusted next time when I visit Madhus' for wheel A&B.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 3318698)
Could be just anything right from a clogged Air Filter to your driving style or the road pattern/traffic or the fuel initially...

Lets discuss this over a relevant thread as this will certainly hijack the purpose of the topic which is about wheel alignment and Balancing :).

I'll first clean the air filter then. Just came back from Lepakshi actually, MID shows 21.5km/l after extremely sedate driving. Yep, lets move to relevant thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3319158)

You're right. I'll get camber adjusted next time when I visit Madhus' for wheel A&B.

Don't think camber is adjustable for most sedans. At leaat for my car it cannot be adjusted. I have only seen it being adjusted on a xylo. By adjust I mean being able to set it without any permanent changes done. In my car, camber cant be adjusted. The only way to correct camber is by filing some mounting bolts which is a crude method which the Madhus people wont agree to do.

Since you have a negative camber, mostly the car has been T-Boned or the front tyre has landed into a massive pothole. The damage caused in this incident will be noticeable in some part of the suspension. Get the front suspension inspected.