Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2014, 22:30   #1
BHPian

Custom designs on your Steering Wheel - Ovion (Bangalore)

I wanted to have a custom design on the horn pad of my steering after wrapping it in leather.
I had a talk with Praveen from Ovion and he was very engaging in the discussion suggesting possible execution methods. He suggested 2 approaches to implant my design on leather.
1) Laser etching
2) Embroidery

Laser etching is like burning the top layer using laser leaving the under layer visible.
Since I wanted black leather this was ruled out as the contrast of etching will not be good enough on black leather. Otherwise the precision of laser etching is supposed to be better than embroidery.

Hence decided on Embroidery. I provided the design in a jpeg file. It took about 2 hrs for them to get it embroidered and then another 2 hrs for wrapping the steering.

Here are the pics.
* Perforated highland black leather on circumference
* embroidered plain highland black leather on horn pad

The address is
# 5, 8th Main, 6th Cross
Corporation Road, Ashwath Nagar, S.R.Nagar,
Ambedkar Veedhi, Sampangi Rama Nagar,
Bangalore, Karnataka 560027

Google map: http://goo.gl/maps/eUver

Contact Person: Praveen
Phone Number: +919845063532
Website link: http://www.ovionautomotive.com/Contact.html
Attached Thumbnails
Custom designs on your Steering Wheel -  Ovion (Bangalore)-201403150429.jpg  

Custom designs on your Steering Wheel -  Ovion (Bangalore)-201403150427.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2014 at 09:53. Reason: Phone number :)
automobilophile is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 15:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Custom designs on your Steering Wheel - Ovion (Bangalore)

This job has been done with great precision. It looks like a company fitted accessory. How much does it cost?

Do they have the provision of carrying out the embroidery design at their place or do they outsource.

All in all, a very neat job done.
Old 18th March 2014, 17:57   #3
BHPian

I DO NOT Recommend this at all!! Reason: It restricts the airbag deployment incase of an accident. You don't want to be in a head on collision with your airbags functioning but not popping out!

This is same with side airbags in cars (not curtain's) which are placed within the side of the seat. DO NOT PUT SEATCOVERS ON THEM!

Quoting from FAQ section from a site.
Quote:
Seat covers over airbags

Some people may not know that they have a vehicle with integrated side airbags and have fitted a pair of conventional seat covers. Conventional seat covers cannot be fitted in vehicles with integrated side airbags as they prevent the deployment of the airbags which become trapped under the car seat cover. This could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Most seat cover manufacturers in Australia are now producing seat covers with a vertical slit in the side of the seat cover to allow the deployment of an integrated side airbag in the event of an accident. This solution has a number of problems.

Last edited by Y@SH : 18th March 2014 at 17:59.
Y@SH is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
This job has been done with great precision. It looks like a company fitted accessory. How much does it cost?

Do they have the provision of carrying out the embroidery design at their place or do they outsource.

All in all, a very neat job done.
It costed quite a bit. They charged 4000 Rs for the entire job including the leather on the circumference and horn pad. (It was highland leather of ovion).
They outsourced the embroidery to their usual vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I DO NOT Recommend this at all!! Reason: It restricts the airbag deployment incase of an accident. You don't want to be in a head on collision with your airbags functioning but not popping out!

This is same with side airbags in cars (not curtain's) which are placed within the side of the seat. DO NOT PUT SEATCOVERS ON THEM!

Quoting from FAQ section from a site.
Agree.. My car doesn't have airbags. Else I wouldnt have allowed anyone to touch the hornpad

Last edited by automobilophile : 21st March 2014 at 14:54. Reason: incomplete reply
automobilophile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks