Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2018, 18:38   #1231
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
However, sometimes, I have to get my car re-fueled at Shell KR Puram, opp the HP Office. Here too, I ask the attendant to fill the fuel till auto-cut off and then not add any more fuel. But, at this pump, the quantity of fuel filled is always less than expected. Say, I know the car would be requiring 28-30 liters of fuel, the auto-cut off kicks in at 22-24 liters. Since I do not top-up, when I start the car, the fuel bar is not at full, rather 1-2 bars below.

I am confused as to what is happening here.
Has happened with me too, but not specifically at shell outlets, cant recall exactly where. In my case, the saving grace has been that when the guage indicates enough has not been filled, the quantity dispensed reading matches the same. So no quantity cheating, wherever I have undergone this.
I can think of only two reasons :
1. nozzle design differences (not sure whether this is a valid reason)
2. inclination/slope on the surface on which car sits while getting filled
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 07:58   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Has happened with me too. In my case, the saving grace has been that when the guage indicates enough has not been filled, the quantity dispensed reading matches the same. So no quantity cheating, wherever I have undergone this.
I agree. I am sure as well, that there is no cheating in terms of quantity dispensed vs charged. However, what intrigues me is the auto-cut off kicking in way early.
I am considering writing to Shell and seeing if they are able to provide an explanation.
Old 28th June 2018, 13:55   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have noticed a peculiar problem and thought of sharing it here, to gather insights from you all.

I usually fill Normal Petrol from Shell at Grafite Signal in my car. I fill the car till auto-cut off and ask the attendant to NOT top-up. Once this is done, the fuel gauge in the MID moves to the highest position. All good here.

However, sometimes, I have to get my car re-fueled at Shell KR Puram, opp the HP Office. Here too, I ask the attendant to fill the fuel till auto-cut off and then not add any more fuel. But, at this pump, the quantity of fuel filled is always less than expected. Say, I know the car would be requiring 28-30 liters of fuel, the auto-cut off kicks in at 22-24 liters. Since I do not top-up, when I start the car, the fuel bar is not at full, rather 1-2 bars below.

I am confused as to what is happening here.
IMHO, lets begin with a point that this can happen at any fuel station not necessarily at Shell. Secondly, it can happen for two reasons which again can be intermittent:
1. If the breather pipe gets clogged due to the sudden escape of air during filling. This again can be sporadic and depends mostly but not totally on how fast the fuel is sent into the tank as sudden expansion increases the speed at which the air escapes. Also, the temperature at the time of filling contributes to this.
2. If the nozzle's tip, where the cut-off sensor is placed, is either asymmetric or is ultra-sensitive or if the sensor itself is damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Has happened with me too, but not specifically at shell outlets, cant recall exactly where. In my case, the saving grace has been that when the guage indicates enough has not been filled, the quantity dispensed reading matches the same. So no quantity cheating, wherever I have undergone this.
I can think of only two reasons :
1. nozzle design differences (not sure whether this is a valid reason)
2. inclination/slope on the surface on which car sits while getting filled
Yes Venky, you were very close to the probability of the nozzle but not the design itself and more of what I have mentioned above. The second reason cannot occur as the cut-off sensor works if the fuel reaches the area of placement and the nozzle goes only about 2-3 inches into the filling pipe.

Quote:
I agree. I am sure as well, that there is no cheating in terms of quantity dispensed vs charged. However, what intrigues me is the auto-cut off kicking in way early.
I am considering writing to Shell and seeing if they are able to provide an explanation.
If you want to write to Shell then mention about checking the nozzle for its sensor too. Hope it helps. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 16:31   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

A note of caution about IOC bunk at Haralur off Sarjapur road.

This is a 24 hour bunk frequented by cab drivers who take Haralur road to avoid Silkboard while coming from Electronics city towards Marathahalli side. I consider patronage by cabbies as a approval on quality and quantity of fuel, cabbies would be able to make out the difference in mileage easier than average car user.

However, around 4 people from my apartment which is in the locality has mentioned that at different timeframe they were cheated by the tyre pressure kiosk guy. It is the classic 'You got puncture' scam.

While getting out from the bunk, they stopped to check air, the kiosk guy asked them to move the car bit ahead or backward since the nozzle was not easily accessible. After this he says there are multiple punctures, fixes it.

This came to light when one of my neighbour had a doubt about multiple punctures since he didn't notice any issues while driving to the bunk. He put across a caution in our apartment mailing group, on reading about that another 4 ~5 people also mentioned the same.

They were planning on raising a complaint with IOC on this.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 20:19   #1235
BHPian

I stay two gates neighbouring Shell petrol pump on SH-35 / Kadugodi-Hoskote road / Seegehalli. What's the feedback on this petrol pump. This petrol pump is not crowded like in the Shell's in city. Is convenient too.
I searched through this thread a little but couldn't find any information. Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 14:30   #1236
Senior - BHPian

A new Shell bunk is opening(currently work in progress) next to Rainbow hospital ORR. The bunk is accessible immediately after you descend the flyover. Appears like a smaller outlet.
Old 9th August 2018, 19:36   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
There is a new Essar bunk at JP Nagar 6th phase just near the Brigade millennium, I have filled my bike tankful for 3 times now, but I am not sure of what good/bad about the petrol as I am getting same mileage and no issues.
KK
It's JP Nagar 7th Phase, opp to the lake.

I always fill my fuel here, this pump is indeed a walk from my house. No complaints as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Even I am thinking of filling there next time.
less crowd and conveniently located.
Do try. Even the air guy is a genuine guy. Though crowd has started to build up. It is packed in the morning at 9 am when I'm heading out for work. I always fill on my return (10 pm), so comparatively less crowd.

He closes at 11 pm.

There is one more (Essar) coming up near the 24th Main Hotel in JP Nagar 2nd phase. This pump dispenses petrol, diesel and gas.

Last edited by drhoneycake : 9th August 2018 at 19:38.
Old 10th August 2018, 11:08   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I stay two gates neighbouring Shell petrol pump on SH-35 / Kadugodi-Hoskote road / Seegehalli. What's the feedback on this petrol pump. This petrol pump is not crowded like in the Shell's in city. Is convenient too.
I searched through this thread a little but couldn't find any information. Thanks
I fill diesel from this pump. Some weekdays in the evenings can be crowded. Or else its like the best bet comparing to the HP one further down the road. Yesterday they were forcing me to use the V Power diesel (costing 5 Rs more). I said no, but still they were pushing me to use it saying it improves engine life and all. Other than this incident, I have had a smooth experience over here with regards to staff & Quality of fuel.
funkmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 18:08   #1239
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on my experience with various brands of Diesel incl PSU, Shell, Essar and Reliance, in my X3 30d, I can confidently state that Reliance Diesel brings out the best from the engine. The smoothness and improved 'pick up' is quite noticeable. Most of my Reliance tank ups are in Belgaum though. This Reliance pump is just off the highway as you enter Belgaum city. Right next to it is a BP pump and an IOC pump. But I see a lot of trucks queing up at the Reliance pump. Now I know why! Sadly very few Reliance outlets inside BLR city.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 21:48   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
. Most of my Reliance tank ups are in Belgaum though. This Reliance pump is just off the highway as you enter Belgaum city. ... Sadly very few Reliance outlets inside BLR city.
If you travel beyond BGM, then there is another (couple) near the Hattarki toll.

IN Bangalore, Goruguntepalya ( I try to fill here) or Maagadi Road ( out of the way).
Old 28th August 2018, 13:11   #1241
BHPian

Guys, can we create an easily accesible database/google spreadsheet to share trusted pumps, service centers etc since it is impossible to read all the threads to find one near you.
Admins, please pitch in!
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 14:16   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Most of my Reliance tank ups are in Belgaum though. This Reliance pump is just off the highway as you enter Belgaum city. Right next to it is a BP pump and an IOC pump. But I see a lot of trucks queing up at the Reliance pump. Now I know why! Sadly very few Reliance outlets inside BLR city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you travel beyond BGM, then there is another (couple) near the Hattarki toll.
The full list, at least as I could manage when this query was raised last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • After Hubli, Towards Bangalore : Location

• Before Dharwad, Towards Pune : Location

• After Sankeshwar, Towards Pune : Location

• After Khedshivpur - Towards Bangalore : Location

• Karad Bypass - Towards Bangalore : Location

• After Karad, Just near/Before Sai International, Towards Bangalore : Location

• After Kolhapur, Towards Pune : Location

• After Belgaum, Near Sankeshwar, Towards Pune: Location

• Before Hattarigi Toll Plaza, towards Bangalore: Location

• After Ranebennur bypass, towards Bangalore: Location

• After Chitradurga, towards Bangalore, Opp to VRL Depot: Location

• Between Tumkur and Dabaspet, Towards Bangalore: Location
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 19:07   #1243
BHPian

Guys, till how long is the Shell Petrol bunk at Bellandur remain open at night? I have a long drive planned tonight and need to tank up.
Old 12th October 2018, 19:19   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

New Essar bunk on 24th Main road, JP Nagar. This one is between RV Dental College and the 15th Cross Underpass signal.
Old 13th October 2018, 16:36   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Essar petrol pump near Seetha circle, Banashankari first stage: Good experience going down the drain.

The earlier staff in this location seems to have moved on and now I see some new chaps hanging around. Had two bad incidents in a single day on 07/10/18.

I took my Duke for a fill at 0615 and ask the guy to fill full. He drops the nozzle into the tank and starts the pump. He moves over to the next pump and starts chatting. The auto fill cuts off after 1.2 L discharge and stops. He comes back and says it is full. I tell him it is half filled and tell him to fill more. He adds another half liter and says it is full and jams the dispenser in its dock. I tell this to the gentleman who is in charge and he simply shrugs and walks off. I pay and get out.

Later in the day, I take my car and while parking in the "box" marked the front wheel drives over the pipe which is inside the box. The guy yells and tells why I have run over the pipe and if something happens he would have to pay from his pocket. I lost my cool this time, and tell him it has to be docked in a certain way to the dispenser and not throw it around. He is taken aback from my reaction and again yells how much petrol? I tell him Thanks and drive off.

I am thinking of going back to Shell, Mysuru road as this seems to have maintained its service top notch sine its opening.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed