Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 20:34   #61
BHPian

re: Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)

The steering of my 2-year old 33,000-run Amaze Diesel started showing signs of ageing, blame it on the quality of the plastic or the sweat during the drive, the top surface (it does not have factory fitted leather steering even in top end) started peeling off.

I went to Stanley and they asked me to get the steering removed in the Honda workshop and give it to them, after which they will stitch the steering grip and give it back to me (which may take a day or two) and then I take the steering back to the workshop and get it fitted in my car. This was too much of hassle.

Somehow, while browsing the Team-Bhp forums on a lazy Sunday morning, I came across this thread and the pictures of the wornderful work immediately caught me thinking.

Today, I decided to call Devraj in the morning and he asked me to come to JC road and give him a call. I went to JC road at around 3:15 pm and called him. The address is same as the one mentioned by the fellow bhp-ian Raveesh_K.

He came out of his shop and came to my car. We could not find a suitable parking space for him to start working. He told me to park my car in the BBMP MLCP near MRF showroom on the JC road and that he will get the material there and fit it.

He insisted that he will fit the grip without removing the steering as even he is aware that removing anything in a Honda car could have undesired impact.
I told him the colour of the grip (black of course) and he suggested to use orange thread for stitching. He told me that there is no need to take measurement as he already has the details for Amaze grip. Time saved!

I went and parked my car on the 2nd floor MLCP, where there were few other cars that were getting some work done (stereos, seat covers etc.,).

Few 'Before' pictures of my steering:
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151815_new.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151822.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151829.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151837.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151840.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151849.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_151853.jpg

This is Devraj's brother who came with the steering grip leather stitched at their shop, while I was parking my car.
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_160355.jpg

Applying some adhesive to make sure the areas that are not stitched are glued to the steering.
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_160709.jpg

The man himself in action (Devraj). He sent his brother to attend to some other customer and started stitching the grip.
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_161303.jpg

The stiching is done very fast and efficiently.
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_161811.jpg

Finished product (excuse the picture quality) -
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164302.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164305.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164308.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164311.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164317.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_164317.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1425413
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20151010_164322.jpg

Cost:
Steering Grip: 900
Parking charge: 60

As you can see, the overall quality is extremely good for the price. I am very happy with the job.

Thanks,
Guru
AmazeGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 22:24   #62
BHPian

re: Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazeGuru View Post
As you can see, the overall quality is extremely good for the price. I am very happy with the job.
Guru
AmazeGuru - The leather steering grip looks excellent. The fit and finish is on par with a factory fitted leather steering.
vijjuvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:17   #63
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Planning to get this done on my fiesta, but can someone please update on how the leather has been aging? How long does it last on regular use? Asking because redoing would mean another layer on top of the existing one and i personally do not like fat meaty steering wheels.
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:35   #64
BHPian

Hi Starscream,
I have the leather grip installed from the last 2.5 years. Now, i see a bit of aging, especially on the contact areas. It should last for another year, in my opinion.

Cant we remove the old grip and put in new ones?

Regrds
Suhas
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Hi Starscream,
I have the leather grip installed from the last 2.5 years. Now, i see a bit of aging, especially on the contact areas. It should last for another year, in my opinion.

Regrds
Suhas
Hi Suhas,

Since he uses adhesive to stick the leather grip, i doubt if the old ones can be removed. AFAIK usually the new ones are installed on top of the old one.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:07   #66
BHPian

Hi,

I got my Terrano Steering Cover done by Devaraj 6 months ago. Till now there is no hardening of leather, no peel offs, looks very fresh.

Devaraj from JC road is a familiar name among the Team-BHP members, though I knew about him, I never tried for my old cars. For my new Terrano I wanted to get the best, so I spoke to him and booked an appointment for a Sunday morning.

It was very nice to deal with him, no attitude, answers all your questions without any ambiguity and he is the expert in his field. He takes extra care for the steerings with airbags. Sunday is better as there would be no traffic in that narrow gully beside JC road, I chose the beige and black leather type, black is perforated. He stitched them together in 20 minutes. Nicely fixed it to the steering with manual stitching, gave final finish with quick-fix glue.
Fixed Price Rs.1500 (Combination of soft beige leather + black perforated leather + labor). Very happy with the finish.

Fitted seat covers in Slink Leather with perforation from SP Sports, Vijaya Bank Colony, bangalore.

Pictures of steering and seat covers in my Terrano Ownership Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3852643
Old 9th December 2015, 13:05   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Asking because redoing would mean another layer on top of the existing one and i personally do not like fat meaty steering wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Since he uses adhesive to stick the leather grip, i doubt if the old ones can be removed. AFAIK usually the new ones are installed on top of the old one.
The old one can be removed before a new one is put in. I had got this done for my Sumo when the OE leatherite cover wore out.

The adhesive is Fevicol SR (the rubber based adhesive), and this can be removed.

(Instant Adhesives like Fevikwik / Araldite will be a problem to remove. These are not used for such leather-work)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 00:02   #68
BHPian

Since this thread is about Devaraj, had an update to share:

Unfortunately, Devaraj has met with an accident last Friday night and is in BGS hospital, Kengeri.. Apparently he has suffered head/neck injury and could be out-of-action for some time. Has undergone a surgery and still in ICU.
How do I know this? - well, I had been to him last weekend to get a change of clothes for my stock baleno, ordered a set in art-leather and was due for fitment past sunday. On the appointed day, he didn't turn up and on calling him, his brother informed about his state.

His brother was available today and we had the seats done up today.
Haque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 09:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Unfortunately, Devaraj has met with an accident last Friday night and is in BGS hospital, Kengeri.. Apparently he has suffered head/neck injury and could be out-of-action for some time. Has undergone a surgery and still in ICU.
I just wish him a speedy recovery. He is one of the finest I've met when it comes to workmanship. By the way, any information as to what sort of accident it was? I mean, was it a road accident or something else? Just curious.., since he lives somewhere near Bidadi and commutes to JC Road by bike everyday, and that particular stretch can become a nightmare during peak times.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:25   #70
BHPian

His bike was hit by a bolero on his way back home around kengeri-bidadi stretch..
Old 28th December 2015, 20:00   #71
BHPian

The grip on the steering wheel of my K10 had started to fray after nearly 4 years and have been meaning to go to Devraj's for a while now. Reading about his mishap wasn't sure if his outfit was currently functioning and was pleasantly surprised when his brother answered my call and asked me to come down to the MLCP this afternoon.

Found his brother to be very personable and a thorough professional. We talked about Devraj's mishap and learnt that he would be out of action for some time.

Their location is nondescript but the experience would rival that of much glitzier places. They do furniture upholstery as well

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-wp_20151228_15_57_22_pro.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 23:25   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haque
Since this thread is about Devaraj, had an update to share:
Thanks for the update ! I think a call to his brother would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Their location is nondescript but the experience would rival that of much glitzier places.
He had said that many of the showrooms on JC road source from him.
Old 29th December 2015, 05:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found his brother to be very personable and a thorough professional.
How do I get in touch with his brother? Does he answer Devraj's cell phone or do I have to visit him at his workshop? My steering needs some Devraj love ASAP.
Old 29th December 2015, 14:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
How do I get in touch with his brother? Does he answer Devraj's cell phone or do I have to visit him at his workshop? My steering needs some Devraj love ASAP.
Please call the same number that is listed on Page 1 of this thread i.e. 9964031960.

Plan to park at the MLCP where he will come to fetch the steering wheel to get it done at his workshop
Old 29th December 2015, 18:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please call the same number that is listed on Page 1 of this thread i.e. 9964031960.

Plan to park at the MLCP where he will come to fetch the steering wheel to get it done at his workshop
I called the number a couple of times today but there was no response. Will try again today.

I guess we can help out Devraj in these tough times by giving him as much business from our side as possible.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks