Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 19:15   #76
BHPian

I paid a visit to his brother ( same phone number) today and learnt about the mishap. He picked up the steering from MLCP and did a good job with steering cover. Overall satisfied except for the never lasting traffic in around JC road. My best wishes for a speedy recovery to the chap.
Old 18th February 2016, 14:10   #77
BHPian

re: Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)

Visited Devraj's shop on Sunday. I knew about Devraj's mishap, but his brother sounded confident about doing a good job. So took only the steering to him as the car was in garage for service. He immediately said that he can't do Palio Steering as it was too complicated for him and only his brother can do it.

I appreciated his honesty and promised to come back after 3-4 months. I can live with the current leather wrap for another 6 months and wait for Devraj to return.

Regards
Old 16th April 2016, 11:44   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)

Devraj is still not up yet, and looks like will be away quite for sometime.

His brother Nagraj is continuing the work. Contact number is the same.
Old 24th June 2016, 22:03   #79
BANNED

I recently found my gear shifter knob looking weathered. On seeing some of the good work done by Devaraj I decided to try his services.

I removed my OHC steering and gear knob & went to JC road by scooter.

Method of removing the steering wheel:
  1. To remove the OHC's steering remove the Honda H thing on the horn with a screwdriver.
  2. Use a 18-19 spanner to remove the steering. Where do you get an 18-19 spanner you ask? The wheel spanner is the exact size 19. See photo.
  3. Mark the steering position on the steering spline outer cover with a permanent marker. This is the plastic between the instruments and your steering. This will help to line it up dead center later while fitting it back.
You may bother your neighbors as you'll press the horn a few times removing and fixing the steering. Just use it from 10 o clock to 2 o clock positions. It will be enough.

I called Devaraj and got the stitching done. The work done was outstanding. I hope those photos will give you some idea. I chose a black leather with cream sides and red stitching. If you go to his shop you'll see 15-20 color swatches. Most folks will find their favorite color.

The thread is actually a nylon thread. So it will never get cut with use.

The steering cover is the same good quality leather (black only; no dual) with red stitching. Sorry, I couldn't take the steering photos. My phones' main camera isn't working. I got tired of the selfie camera.

The first 4 pictures are of me removing the steering wheel. The next 4 are the gear lever knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-8-58-40-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-8-57-00-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-8-56-33-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-8-50-29-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-3-30-15-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-3-30-09-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-3-30-02-pm-copy.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-photo-jun-24-3-30-00-pm-copy.jpg  

Last edited by hangover : 24th June 2016 at 22:28.
hangover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 21:18   #80
BHPian

Was able to go to Devraj's shop in JC Road today after much waiting to get leather wrapping on my Corolla's gear knob. Met Nagaraj (Devraj's brother) and understand that it will take some more time for Devraj to get well.

After choosing the leather and thread, Nagaraj and his associate were quick on the work and finished wrapping of the gear knob in 15 mins flat with a very neat finish .

I also wanted to get the steering wheel leather wrapped, but the problem was since the car comes with half wooden and half leather wrapping on the steering he mentioned that this takes a lot of effort and can only do if I can get the steering removed from the mechanic. So, need to check with the mechanic on the steering wheel removal and will plan this some other time.

Did not get the exact colour match of the grey but this was the best available and he mentioned that they are not able to source the grey colour which matches Corolla/Innova even after trying hard. But this does not seem out of place, so happy with this.

Now the pictures of the gear knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160723_145058661.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160723_145105925.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160723_145122236.jpg  

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160723_174303797.jpg  

KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 16:22   #81
BHPian

While my ownership log is still going through some tinkering work, here is something I wanted to share

I recently visited Devaraj's brother to get a Steering Wheel Grip for my new VW Polo TDI, Unfortunately Devaraj will be out of action atleast till Jan. Nagaraj did a decent Job with the steering wheel grip

If you go on a week day, the work will be done at JC road Multilevel Car parking, costs 30/- per hour, Also for the work being done on the floor Nagaraj has to pay 100/- to the parking guys. He has templates of all the cars in his shop

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_162933.jpg

I went to the shop along with Nagaraj to choose Leather color and thread, I chose black with red thread. It took him merely 20 mins to get the grip ready. Here he is stitching the grip together

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_162909.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_162915.jpg

Due to Airbags, the grip will be stitched in place. All in all, I am very happy with the Job. Total cost INR.900/-

I will let the pics speak for the craftsmanship

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_164412.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_164426.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_164420.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_165528.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_165535.jpg

Other than some corners, i think its a great job for 900/-

Notice how the curves caused a fold on either side, other than that the grip is perfect

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_172101.jpg
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_172106.jpg

The Stich went a little cross, barely noticeable unless you are at the Wheel

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_172112.jpg

5 stars for the work

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-img_20160716_172055.jpg

Customary before and after pic

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-befaft.jpg

took nearly half the time that it took me to go there

Thanked him and left

kishore
kishore1984 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 19:45   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quick question from others who have already gone in for the steering wheel wraps. Does the wrap itself have any odor or give out odor over a period of time? I am considering going for a wrap myself and wanted to double check on this topic before I proceed further.
Old 29th December 2016, 20:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
I recently visited Devaraj's brother to get a Steering Wheel Grip for my new VW Polo TDI, Unfortunately Devaraj will be out of action atleast till Jan. Nagaraj did a decent Job with the steering wheel grip
Why is it that the aftermarket leather steering wheel wraps always have a bulge at the seam whereas the original ones don't. My Rapid has a leather wheel and there is absolutely no bulge at the seams.
Old 5th January 2017, 15:21   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Why is it that the aftermarket leather steering wheel wraps always have a bulge at the seam whereas the original ones don't. My Rapid has a leather wheel and there is absolutely no bulge at the seams.
I have this doubt too. Maybe the leather used in aftermarket places is quite thick.

Another question I have, does this mod make the steering wheel thicker than the leather wraps that come factory fitted ?
Old 24th January 2017, 18:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
I have this doubt too. Maybe the leather used in aftermarket places is quite thick.

Another question I have, does this mod make the steering wheel thicker than the leather wraps that come factory fitted ?
I have the leather wrap from Devraj for steering and handbrake, and it feels like a second skin, rather than a steering cover. Please go ahead if you are planning so.
You can have a look the pics in my ownership thread here.
Old 24th January 2017, 18:44   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Does the wrap itself have any odor or give out odor over a period of time?
It does not have any odour, and does not give out any over time. I have been using wraps from Devraj for long time now. Current one was put in more than 3.5 yrs ago.

Remember to clean the leather wrap with moist cloth regularly. Once a week if possible, is good.

Quote:
OE may or may not be leather. Esp if not leather, the manufacturing process would take care of such bulges. Rapid is not a high-end car and I would not be surprised it was not leather.

Note to all who are going in for the covers:
Check where you place your hands most of the time. Ask the installer to avoid seams at these points on the steering wheel. He may need to reduce the number of pieces from 4 to 3.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 21:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OE may or may not be leather. Esp if not leather, the manufacturing process would take care of such bulges. Rapid is not a high-end car and I would not be surprised it was not leather.
The brochure specifically mentions it as leather. Besides it's the same on my X1. No bulges.
Old 24th January 2017, 21:53   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The brochure specifically mentions it as leather. Besides it's the same on my X1. No bulges.
Checked the pics of the steering wheel. With OE, it is possible because there it is designed that way - the underlying base is contured to avoid such bulges. But here, the leather is being added on top of a uniformly thick steering wheel, and hence bulges come in. It is possible to avoid bulges, but then the steering would become a little too thick.
Old 1st March 2017, 03:53   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This video explains your query.

The OEM ones I guess have depressions on the rims, which negate the bulges due to seams.

A Pic for those who are running low on data.
Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-capture.jpg

PS: This also explains why I have seen many 2nd hand cars with these cuts on steering rim. I used to think that they cracked due to sun's heat.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 20:21   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Got leather wrapped steering wheel for my Maruti 800. Special thanks to my friend Mr Krishnarao who got this made from Devraj and shipped it to me. Loved the fit and finish.

IIRC, the cost of wrapping was Rs. 1,500. which I think is great VFM, given the fit and finish.

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-20170708_180631.jpg

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-20170708_180639.jpg

Leather Upholstery & Steering Grips: Devraj / Karthik Leather Arts (Bangalore)-20170708_180806.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks