Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 15:30   #1
BANNED

Royal Enfield Mechanic - Riaz (Bangalore)

I have been using the services of Riaz, my cheap, reliable and extremely knowledgeable RE mechanic since the past 5 years now and am completely satisfied with his work. The shop is a small ancient affair at Chamrajpet to the left of Royan Circle and has no board.
The best part I like about him is his inherent nature of getting things done cost effectively, efficiently and very precisely. I have him restore many a BSA, Matchless and RE s of 1950s and 60s to very good condition. He started his business at the very same shop with his elder brother in the 1970s and still runs the place. As such, he is very passionate about the older REs as well.

I would highly recommend him for any RE related work.

Name:Riaz
Ph No: 09242104151.(He does not know how to store callers numbers on his phone, so you may need to introduce yourself to him on every call unless he begins to know your voice.)
Old 29th June 2010, 16:09   #2
BHPian

I guess its Riaz. Is'nt he a short man with hazy eyes? His garage a small shack and is at the end of the main road from Bannashankari to Chamrajpet? If this description matches, my personal experiance and a dozen of my friend's (all Bullet owners) was terrible to say the least.
It was the beginning of my career and my office was in Chamrajpet. After lots of savings and skipping meals, had got my 1990 model standard 350. I had once taken it to him to adjust the tappet. He speaks all great stuff and anyone would fall for his words. I infact had suggested him as a good mechanic to friends at the Bullet club too. What started as "tappet adjustment" ended up in a complete Engine and gearbox overhaul.
Once the bike was with him and was completly dismantled he started showing his true colours. He demanded advance cash and would never keep his promises. He almost took over 2months to complete the work and charged an exhorbotitant 25k. He was throughly cheating me.
Then, owing a Bullet was a dream. I was a complete zero in the technical aspects of it. His father/brother was quite a good mechanic. But not him. This happened in 2003.
Ask any spare parts dealer in Bangalore about this Chamrajpet mechanic and they will tell you.

Devnath, No offence meant. But I just shared my personal experiance.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:09   #3
BANNED

None taken, but surprisingly, I am very happy with him for all these years. In fact, let me quote an incident to substantiate the same.
I had put alloys on my bike around a year ago. I didn't ask anyone and went down to spare parts shop on JC Road, purchased them alongwith a warranty of 1 year and got them installed at the shop itself.
Around 4 months after the install, I went to Delhi and a few other places. On my way back, between Jabalpur and Seoni, on a very bad patch on road, the collar of the rear alloy broke and I had somehow arrange a normal rim from a local mechanic and get back to Blore.

When I went to the spares shop to get the damaged wheel replaced, the guy simply refused to do it saying it "looked" like an accident.

When I told Riaz the same thing, he personally went with me, gave that spares guy a nice piece of his mind and language and got the wheel replaced free of cost immediately.

Apart from this, his labor charges have been very low compared to any other mechanic and his quality of work, very very impressive.
Old 30th June 2010, 17:59   #4
BHPian

After reading your post, I am wondering if its the same person I am talking about.
As I said earlier, my office was close to the garage. His garage used to be my favourite hangout. Used to watch him work on the BSAs, Matchless and the likes, sipping tea and smoke from the hotel next door. I am not sure if the hotel still exists there. Infact on numerous occasions, I had encouraged him to get the Authorised service tag and thats when he said that he wants to name his garage after his daughter. anyways..
Things went sour once the engine was dismantled. I remember he had quoted some 8k for the entire work. But that changed soon. Inspite of me paying him for whatever expense he said, he kept the work pending for around 2 months. I could'nt really demand or roughen things up coz that was the kind of relation I thought I had with him. Finally, I had to get along some friends and mechanics and go to Sandhya (JC road) to verify the bill he had given. The actuals were a fraction of what he had quoted in his bill. He had a major tussle with the shop guys too. After all these, he offered to purchase my bike for 18k

Anyways, if you are happy with him, then thats all that matters.
Old 6th July 2010, 11:38   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
After reading your post, I am wondering if its the same person I am talking about.Anyways, if you are happy with him, then thats all that matters.
You know, I m equally surprised. In fact, I recently spent around INR:4500 on Don and among the items replaced were the chain sprocket, the battery, the front race ball set and a few other items. I cross checked the prices he quoted from Sandhya and they were cheaper by INR 50-75.

Anyway, all I can say is, if you or anyone has RE issues, I can assure you that I will get them fixed at the place cheaper, better and on time. Anyone is most welcome to try it out.
Old 21st April 2014, 15:18   #6
NMS
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Mechanic - Riaz (Bangalore)

Hi Friends, Bumping up a very old thread, Have just moved to Bangalore with my trusty Bullet. Its a 94 model. And hence if someone can give me leads to a good RE mechanic. I am staying in Electronic city, so if the Bagalore boys can suggest someone close by it would be best ! Thanks in Advance !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks