Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 19:40   #16
BHPian

Re: The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread.

Some more Jaguar sales brochures from 1938 showing exterior/interior colours offered at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-colors_38_1_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-colors_38_2_l.jpg  

msabbasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 08:33   #17
BHPian

My interest in Jaguars of this period arises from my ownership of one. The saloon shape of the car is unofficially called the Mk-IV. Below is a sales brochure from 1937 showing the three cars in production at the time - a 2-1/2 liter open sports car called the SS-100 and two sports saloons, one with a 2-1/2 liter engine and the other with a 1-1/2 liter engine. Of note is the fact that these cars were called SS - Swallow Saloon. The SS name was dropped in favour of just Jaguar after the war.
Attached Thumbnails
Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_1_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_3_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_4_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_6_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_7_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_8_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_9_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_10_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_11_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_12_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_13_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_14_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_15_l.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-37cat_16_l.jpg  

msabbasi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 05:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
My interest in Jaguars of this period arises from my ownership of one. The saloon shape of the car is unofficially called the Mk-IV. Below is a sales brochure from 1937 showing the three cars in production at the time - a 2-1/2 liter open sports car called the SS-100 and two sports saloons, one with a 2-1/2 liter engine and the other with a 1-1/2 liter engine. Of note is the fact that these cars were called SS - Swallow Saloon. The SS name was dropped in favour of just Jaguar after the war.
Thanks for these posts!

The SS originally stood for The Swallow Sidecar & Coachbuilding Company. Sir William Lyons was a co-founder. It evolved over time and many guises into Jaguar Cars.

The "SS" was dropped to avoid any connotation of the Nazi SS during WWII.
Old 29th January 2015, 08:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks for these posts!

The SS originally stood for The Swallow Sidecar & Coachbuilding Company. Sir William Lyons was a co-founder. It evolved over time and many guises into Jaguar Cars.

The "SS" was dropped to avoid any connotation of the Nazi SS during WWII.
Thank you for the correction.
Old 29th January 2015, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Saw these Ford Mustang advertisements!
Loved how classy the ads are and how it is shown as THE car targeted at the youth
Even a Cobra ad at the end!
Why wasn't I born in the 60s?
Here:
Attached Thumbnails
Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-1q78ilvmhpq6tk.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-5hvdk3w3792fc7.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-7p09j5mg4w5ltf.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-czjgkzsq0yhg7o.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-iirz7dgqn43cnf.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-r57ucztofaaqfr.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-vw349yesbmqjcv.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-vxtjwi6w9arh71.jpg  

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-z5kous94n57ljr.jpg  

Impala59 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 20:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)

International Scout 800 from an advertisement in TIME magazine of 1967

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-dsc06233.jpg

A Merc Fintail from an advertisement in TIME magazine of 1967

Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-dsc06230.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 15:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

What is the 4th Pedal meant for ? Is it the dipper, there used to be a foot operated dipper in old Mahindra Jeeps if I remember correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Brochures, manuals and publicity material of vintage cars (foreign)-buick20194820owners20guide.jpg  

m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 15:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
What is the 4th Pedal meant for ? Is it the dipper, there used to be a foot operated dipper in old Mahindra Jeeps if I remember correctly.
That is probably the parking brake if I remember right. Plus these Buicks I think also had the starter switch wired to the accelerator pedal.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 15:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Parking brake perhaps? I've seen some modern Mercs with the tiny pedal that serves as the parking brake.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 15:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
That is the parking brake. Press to engage and press again to disengage. The Super 8 I learnt driving on had one.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2015 at 19:51. Reason: Splitting post :)
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks