Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:40   #1
BHPian

Peugeot 404 Coupé and Cabriolet Registry

Le Club 404 in France, founded in 1982 originally for the Coupé and Cabriolet versions only, has been developing a registry using the VIN (chassis number) for several years now. I joined this Club in 1984. In my present capacity with the Club, I have been working to expand the registry since late 2008. Last weekend we were lucky enough to be able to add a beautiful light blue 404 Cabriolet from India, featured in photos elsewhere here at BHP, to our list.

Cabriolet

Coupé

As of today, 1648 of the 17223 examples of this model that were made are registered, but we are always looking for more.

Following is a list of the numbers of Peugeot 404 Cabriolet and Coupé cars found in each country. By no means is this list exhaustive or complete, but it does give an accurate picture of our data as of this moment:

1156 France
109 Netherlands
103 Germany
59 Sweden
40 USA
33 Belgium
22 Switzerland
13 Italy
14 Spain
10 South Africa
9 Austria
9 Canada
8 Great Britain
7 Greece
7 New Zealand
7 Finland
7 Australia
5 Norway
4 Portugal
3 Luxembourg
2 Morocco
2 New Caledonia
2 Serbia
2 Denmark
2 Tunisia
1 Costa Rica
1 Colombia
1 Madagascar
1 Turks and Caicos
1 Paraguay
1 Ireland
1 Venezuela
1 Slovenia
1 Hungary
1 Poland
1 Nicaragua
1 Chile
1 India

1648 TOTAL

Here are some other details concerning the cars that have been registered, namely the numbers of the two different body styles:

516 Coupé body
1107 Cabriolet body
25 C (could be either body)

Here are the engine types among the registerd examples:

493 Carburettor
1154 Petrol Injection

We also have a registry for other 404 models, with 1600 examples listed.

If you know of any 404s of any body style, please encourage their owners to visit the Club's self-registration website, which is located here (click on "add your vehicle" to self-register):

Peugeot 404 Searchable Database: Welcome! Bienvenue!

If you like, I could update this thread as new cars are discovered, complete with photos.
Mike T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 00:02   #2
BHPian

re: Peugeot 404 Coupé and Cabriolet Registry

Thanks to Jean-Claude, the owner of this fine example:

4593386, Coupé Injection, 09 September 1964, purchased on 28 September 2011, Bleu Ciel 1041 with black vinyl seats, post-1966 nose panel with driving lights, carburator cylinder head on the original Injection cylinder block, Robergel hubcaps, location: LUXEMBOURG

Total: 1649 !
Mike T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 07:19   #3
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
carburator cylinder head on the original Injection cylinder block,
From which year was fuel injection introduced in Peugeot?

The car is really beautiful
Old 10th April 2012, 08:34   #4
BHPian

Dear Mike,

From where can we get the production nos. of the different Peugeot models produced?

Is there a website which we can refer to? or did you get these production nos from the factory itself?

Thanks,
Kev
Old 10th April 2012, 10:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I know for sure that there were atleast two Peugeot 404 convertibles in India. One is this blue car, which was also yellow at one time. The second car was a black car, registered in Hyderabad, but was located in Indore in a pharmaceutical firm. That car came to Mumbai, was worked on at a workshop on E. Moses Road, and then disappeared.

Cheers harit
Old 10th April 2012, 10:45   #6
BHPian

Hi Kev, you can find the production information for certain Peugeot models online at enthusiast websites. Which model are you interested in? I could perhaps help you find that, if you tell me the model you're interested in. I got the 404C production data from a variety of sources, including the manufacturer's parts book (there is a chassis number chart at the beginning), Le Club 404, and a couple of French publications about this model.

Harit, if that black 404C ever turns up again, or if anyone has some information on where it might be, I would be interested (just for the Registry).

Thank you both for your interest.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
From which year was fuel injection introduced in Peugeot?
The car is really beautiful
Hi KPS,

The fuel injection engine was first introduced in the 404 in September 1961, and was first available in the 404 Cabriolet 1962 model year.

The system was a Kugelfischer mechanical injection system. The cylinder head was redesigned for the Injection version, with four separate intake tracts instead of the single entry for the carburetted models (the latter had the de-facto intake manifold inside the head itself, where the one inlet went right away into a chamber that fed each of the 4 cylinders). In contrast, the Injection engine has a very prominent large intake manifold in aluminium, rather like a Mercedes 300 SL, well not quite as impressive as that...

The Kugelfischer system used a camshaft inside the pump body that was driven by a toothed plastic belt reinforced by steel; it ran at half engine speed and the cam inside the injection pump had four eccentric lobes on it, one for each tiny cylinder barrel, which in turn was connected to a hydraulic head that ensured a one-way fuel supply, which was connected to the steel injection pipes to the 4 mechanical injectors. The injectors sprayed into the heads of the intake valves.

The pump used a variable cam (a virtual 3-D "map" if you will) that established the amount of fuel to be injected on the basis of engine RPM and throttle position.

The 404 Injection engine is beautiful to drive; I used one in everyday traffic in the 1980s and the engine was so smooth that it put modern injection systems to shame. If you would like more information, send me a PM with your email address and I could send you some technical information.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I know for sure that there were atleast two Peugeot 404 convertibles in India. One is this blue car, which was also yellow at one time. The second car was a black car, registered in Hyderabad, but was located in Indore in a pharmaceutical firm. That car came to Mumbai, was worked on at a workshop on E. Moses Road, and then disappeared.

Cheers harit
There was a red convertible in Hyderabad as well....the Ali Haider car
Old 10th April 2012, 13:14   #9
BHPian

Here is a 404 i spotted while on a trip in Sri Lanka
Attached Thumbnails
Peugeot 404 Coupé and Cabriolet Registry-img20120217000811600.jpg  

Old 10th April 2012, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

The regestry in question pertains only to the Coupes and the Cabriolets not the sedans.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There was a red convertible in Hyderabad as well....the Ali Haider car
I think that is the car, are you sure it was red? There was some misadventure when these cars were brought from Indore. My memory clearly remembers black, and that was many many years ago, 25 or so.
The 404 was quite common in India as a sedan, and there were a few station wagons and pick-ups too.
The agent in India was National Garage, btw what's going on there now?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 10th April 2012 at 14:30.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I think that is the car, are you sure it was red? There was some misadventure when these cars were brought from Indore. My memory clearly remembers black, and that was many many years ago, 25 or so.
The 404 was quite common in India as a sedan, and there were a few station wagons and pick-ups too.
The agent in India was National Garage, btw what's going on there now?

Cheers harit
Yes harit....the car was red when it was in Banjara Hills way back....they also had the white Datsun Fairlady cabrio too.

I had pics but it will be hard to find them now.

There were a lot of the 404 sedans in Hyderabad as well as ICRISAT used them as staff cars before they moved on to importing Nissan Bluebirds. A lot of the NGO's in and around Hyderabad then got these Peugeots and ran them into the ground !

Last edited by wasif : 10th April 2012 at 14:47.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes harit....the car was red when it was in Banjara Hills way back....they also had the white Datsun Fairlady cabrio too.

I had pics but it will be hard to find them now.

There were a lot of the 404 sedans in Hyderabad as well as ICRISAT used them as staff cars before they moved on to importing Nissan Bluebirds. A lot of the NGO's in and around Hyderabad then got these Peugeots and ran them into the ground !
Hey Wasif, now I got it. The car you refer to was a 304, which resurfaced in Bangalore partially junked, broken windshield etc. The car I refer to came out from Indore as part of a deal, there were complications.

Cheers harit
Old 10th April 2012, 17:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

OK...it must have been a 304 as it was slightly smaller than the one in the picture below and it didnt have those driving lights in the Grille.

Tell me more about the Indore deal and its complications in private if possible !!!

Where is the 304 cabrio now ? Did it go to the good doctor ?
Old 10th April 2012, 17:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Here is a 404 i spotted while on a trip in Sri Lanka
Quote:
The regestry in question pertains only to the Coupes and the Cabriolets not the sedans.
OOPS... my mistake, didn't realise that i was posting a sedan in my hurry... Now let me look for the picture of the coupe that i also saw in Sri Lanka.
kevinephraim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed