Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 00:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)

My wife and I are presently in the UK. We still own some properties in Suffolk. This time we brought our Alfa Romeo Spider with us. Next week we are going on a week's tour, but the next couple of days we are just doing some day trips in the area.

Today we went to Maldon, Essex. A very nice little town. It's one of the oldest towns in Essex. Lots to see and do. Various interesting museums and a very nice waterfront. http://visitmaldon.co.uk

The river Chelmer runs through Maldon and it has an amazing difference between high and low tide. Lots of pubs around. Our favorite is the Queens Head. Right on the river front. Good food, nice view of the river.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1935.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1936.jpg

We ordered fish and chips and according to the menu it was supposed to be Haddock, but it looked more like a fillet of whale.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1938.jpg

After lunch we wandered around the river front, looking at the various classic boats. Some of these boats are very well kept, but the steam tug is in desperate need for some repair. I've been coming here for years and every year the tug looks a little worse.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1937.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1940.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1941.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	1276153

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1942.jpg

A lesser known fact is that Maldon is also home to one of the most reputable classic car restorer / dealer in the UK. JD Classics, http://www.jdclassics.co.uk

We stopped by at their showroom. Hadn't been there before. Quite an experience. These are some of the world most exotic cars and bikes. Immaculately restored!

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1914.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1915.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1916.jpg

One of my favorite cars, the Jaguar E-type. They had two on display, I particularly fancied this light blue one.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1918.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1927.jpg

Another one of my favorites, the Ferrari Dino. I never understood why some people did not consider it a real Ferrari. I think it is beautifully proportioned. This one, it seems, belonged to Jensson Button. It has more than UKP 300.000 worth of restoration work carried out on it. Absolutely stunning

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1922.jpg

Look at the interior of this very early Porsche 356. Those chairs are something else. Unbelievable craftsmanship.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1926.jpg

Here are some more shots of the various cars and bikes in the showroom:

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1923.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1924.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1925.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1928.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1919.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1920.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1921.jpg

Just a couple of hundred yards away from this "classic car Mecca" I noticed this classic VW bus.Well, it wan't exactly in concour condition. Having been lowered to half an inch of the tarmac. Still, quite special. In Europe many will consider these VW busses, with their air cooled engines, the very first people carriers. We're talking the '60s here. Long before the French dreamed up the Renault Espace.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1933.jpg

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1934.jpg

Here's my 'classic' in front of the JD Classics showroom. Somehow it did not seem to impress the staff.

JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)-img_1931.jpg

I guess all the Ferrari's, Aston Martin's, Porsche's, Jaguar's make them a little blasé.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: JD Classics: Maldon, Essex (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
We stopped by at their showroom. Hadn't been there before. Quite an experience. These are some of the world most exotic cars and bikes. Immaculately restored!

Look at the interior of this very early Porsche 356. Those chairs are something else. Unbelievable craftsmanship.

Here's my 'classic' in front of the JD Classics showroom. Somehow it did not seem to impress the staff.
Thanks for sharing Jeroen. I regularly drool over the ads of their latest stock. And they're always well stocked! I can't get my eyes off the 356 interiors. Any more pictures of the car? Has it been restored or still original? And nice to see your Alfa being used the way it should
Old 21st August 2014, 12:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for sharing Jeroen. I regularly drool over the ads of their latest stock. And they're always well stocked! I can't get my eyes off the 356 interiors. Any more pictures of the car? Has it been restored or still original? And nice to see your Alfa being used the way it should

Sorry, these are all the pictures I took with my phone. As far as I could tell the 356 interior was completely new. I doubt you could restore anything to this good a condition.

Really enjoying my spider. Endless little rural back roads, makes for ideal touring.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks