Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:50   #1
BHPian

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe

Thought I would share this...this is my recently restored 1981 BMW E21. The car has been updated with a full Euro suspension, Bilstein HD's, 15 inch wheels with 205 tyres, period correct BBS Motorsports air dam etc. The front end was a vision I had, and the original bumper was tucked closer to the body, light brackets were made in India, and installed, and the Hellas replaced the fog lights that sat under the bumper. Car has 148K miles, and I have history of the car since Day 1. The entire drivetrain is all original, and never been touched. It runs a Getrag 5 speed, and an original clutch. It was ordered under Euro delivery in 1981 to the USA. The car is an original blue plate CA registration since 1981.

Let me know what you think.....
Attached Thumbnails
My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_9724a.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-unnamed-2.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_9718-2.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-unnamed-5.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2016 at 10:09. Reason: Typos
benz220 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:16   #2
BHPian

re: My '81 BMW 320i Coupe

Looks really beautiful, Benz220. Really something mysteriously beautiful about the BMWs of that era! Would love to see a more detailed thread on the restoration process of you got the time, and more pictures please! initially I was under the impression that the car was on pune. Then I understood it's in Cali. Am I right? Whatever, it's beautiful car, restored with love. Good work!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:45   #3
BHPian

Thanks Nikhil. Yes, the car is in CA, and has lived here its entire life except for the first 6 months after Euro delivery in Germany. My MBZ E220 resides in Pune!

I will try and reduce some picture sizes and repost, and also will add some pictures of the interior. It's mostly original with an M10 motor, 4 cyl, Bosch Jetronic, and all the upgrades to the suspension were made in keeping with what the car was supposed to be as a European model - a lot of changes were made to the car to comply with US DOT regulations in 1981 including a 85 mph speedo! All the lights are made in India - Hella's as well as the lo and hi beams, which are Neolites with flat lenses and H4 bulbs.

Its a very well balanced car, and the wheel upgrade from 13" to 15" makes a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Looks really beautiful, Benz220. Really something mysteriously beautiful about the BMWs of that era! Would love to see a more detailed thread on the restoration process of you got the time, and more pictures please! initially I was under the impression that the car was on pune. Then I understood it's in Cali. Am I right? Whatever, it's beautiful car, restored with love. Good work!
benz220 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 00:15   #4
BANNED

WOW!!! done about 2.38Lac KMS and still on original clutch and drivetrain. Awesome. You have got the complete service history of the car since the last 35yrs. Shows the kind of love you have got on her. Pristinely maintained car benz220. Its a wonderful classic and sure is a head turner. More pictures of the car and the interiors please!!!
RAPTOR-XUV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 00:55   #5
BHPian

Re: My '81 BMW 320i Coupe

Hi..so there has been a request for additional pictures. Here are some of paint prep and right after paint etc. Rust is a car's worst enemy, and so there were 1.5" rust holes in the bottom of both front fenders where the drains go, so both front fenders were replaced with original BMW parts. In addition, two rust areas below the tail lights, so the entire rear tail panel was sourced from Germany and replaced. The car was sprayed with all glass removed, and all new seals were used when the glass was put back in. The only seal I am waiting on from BMW Germany is the trunk seal. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_2844.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_2841.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_2858.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_2857.jpg  

My '81 BMW 320i Coupe-img_2845.jpg  

benz220 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 00:58   #6
BHPian

Re: My '81 BMW 320i Coupe

Yes, I have a very detailed file, of all work done on the car since new, including the original bill of sale, and the import documents since it was a European delivery car in 1981. The air conditioner, in those days was a dealer installed accessory! The factory did not supply airconditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR-XUV View Post
WOW!!! done about 2.38Lac KMS and still on original clutch and drivetrain. Awesome. You have got the complete service history of the car since the last 35yrs. Shows the kind of love you have got on her. Pristinely maintained car benz220. Its a wonderful classic and sure is a head turner. More pictures of the car and the interiors please!!!
benz220 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks