Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2020, 11:40   #16

Re: My 1964 Fiat 1100D in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabrh View Post
Respect is all I can say. Outstanding achievement, what a beautiful car. Hats off to your vision, passion, patience and effort.
People who ride the kali-peeles in Bombay can never imagine what a beautiful car the original is. I hesitated to mention it here, as this post of yours is like a white clean linen and the kali-peele is a black spot of grease. Extremes of a spectrum.
The wiper washer blue tank in the engine bay, is that an addition, do not remember washer as a feature in those year models. Or possibly India cars did not have the feature.
Thank you for your kind words. I loved Bombay's Kaali Peelis, they gave a living to the hard working. This car is wonderful that way to have had such a wide spectrum, helped the financially challenged and was also a pride for those who can afford it.

The washer fluid bag is original for 1100D. Premier Padmini had a different container as it was manufactured much later. Not sure what the 1100Ds imported in 60's and 70's had.
passanha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

The levels of perfection are outstanding. The workmanship is clearly above anything seen in India - you must have a good team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passanha View Post
I forgot the make
Looks like Uniroyal Tiger Paw.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 13:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The finest looking 1100D that I've ever seen. Congratulations on the painstaking efforts you and the FNGs have put in for this.

My first car was a 1993 Premier Padmini and I fondly call her the University that earned me my post graduation in automotive.

Here are a few observations/ queries :

1. The air filter top looks brilliant, and the paint, so glossy. The interior complements the exterior very well; beautiful combo.

2. Carburetor is a Solex make with an accelerator pump. While the carburetor in your 1100D looks a little different, I know some 1992 Premier Padminis in which a design by Solex was a big failure. Hope yours works well. My guru Chacha and I struggled with one such carburetor and then gave up.

3. I see a dynamo. True? If yes, I'd suggest moving to an alternator.

Queries:

1. Is there a HVAC in the car?

2. The radiator neck is on a long radius elbow. Why so?

3. What is that huge duct from the engine bay to inside the cabin? Is it the ventilator?

4. Do I see two 6x9 speakers in the parcel shelf below the dash?

Last edited by vigsom : 26th November 2020 at 13:33. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 13:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Queries:

1. Is there a HVAC in the car?

2. The radiator neck is on a long radius elbow. Why so?

3. What is that huge duct from the engine bay to inside the cabin? Is it the ventilator?
Thank you. There is no HVAC. #2, not sure, will research and find out. #3, yes, that is the vent fan.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th November 2020 at 14:07. Reason: Trimming the quoted post for better readability. Thanks
passanha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 13:54   #20

So I'm casually drooling all over your Fiat but My God! those white -walled tyres (even if they are just inserts) really are something else. Beautiful restoration.
Great job and welcome
Maedhros is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

The images are worth a million dollars for an automobile enthusiast. Never ever felt connected to Premier Padmini in recent times as much as I did post drooling over the images you have posted. Brought me back memories when my late father overhauled engine of Premier President (President was quickly named Padmini) at home all by himself. He required help to bring the engine out though, its a heavy cast iron block IIRC. Ours was grey in color. The dual horns, chrome ring for horn, small weather shade over windscreen, all just cant be forgotten. My first living memories of traveling in a car were in President and grandfather's Ambassador. Padmini we had drives mainly to Ahmedabad and Saurashtra, dad used to slow down the car for me and my sister to close windows whenever we neared Nandesari.

BTW, why are wipers missing ?

Just in case you need help for radiator, you can refer https://www.northernradiator.com/. They have a huge range of many radiators and a healthy list of products. PS : I am not associated with them.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:15   #22
BHPian

Truly the cleanest 1100/Padmini I have ever seen. I wonder if it looked this good on the day it left the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passanha View Post
Did I tell you about my dentist? He has Premier Padminis, 1100Ds, 1100s, Oxford Morris, Lamretta, Yezdi, Radoot and a Bullet.
Did your dentist import all of them to the US?
TheGearBox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Welcome to the forum, this is truly an exceptional job. The color is aptly suited for this beauty. Congratulations on this beautiful restoration. If it could have been a Mahindra, Anand Mahindra would have loved to get connected with you.
Old 26th November 2020, 17:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

A very hearty welcome to the passanha! Beautiful, beautiful car you got there. Wonderful Resto-Mod on the car, especially the interior and red-paint! Could you detail the import process into USA too, since I've read somewhere that cars have to have been crash tested?
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 17:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Bravo !
one Mr. Leno may be interested to see this car. You should reach out to him on twitter. I'm serious. The effort is commendable.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 18:48   #26

Wow! This is just awesome and, I dare say, romantic! You have great taste and the snaps show the same. This red is a beautiful color choice. I particularly like the snap (taken from right behind and outside the car) showing the steering wheel and ORVM. Beautiful enough to find its place in an ad.
Grand Vitesse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 19:08   #27
KMT
BHPian

What an excellent read.

You have really walked the walk.

Quote:
I always wanted to own a Premier Padmini when I was growing up.
The car looks lovely and I am sure you will have many happy memories with it. It must be a real head turner especially in your neck of the woods.

Its always a good idea to upgrade whatever you can (within limits) to modern day mechanical and safety standards, you seem to have a good set of local mechanics to help you with this. I am sure your folks are also thrilled with the outcome.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 21:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Gorgeous car, excellent restoration.

Yes, it can be expensive. But then it would have been a lot more expensive in most of Europe. The Americans are really very very good with cars. Comes natural to them I guess.

There can’t be many Fiats out there in the USA and certainly not this model.

Enjoy, thanks for sharing

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 23:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

BTW, why are wipers missing ?
Thanks for sharing your story and for the tip on the radiator. Will keep that link. The wipers are in the process of getting restored, I did not want to miss the fall colors to take pictures, the pictures come out really great with little bit of rain and colorful foliage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Truly the cleanest 1100/Padmini I have ever seen. I wonder if it looked this good on the day it left the factory.

Did your dentist import all of them to the US?
Yes, he got most of them from India. I don't know the story of each car. I know one particular car that he got from India and switched the steering from right to left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Could you detail the import process into USA too, since I've read somewhere that cars have to have been crash tested?
Cars older than 25 years are exempt from all requirements like crash test, SMOG check, even seat belts. Import has 2 primary steps, one is getting shipped, which does not have any restrictions, you can pretty much get anything shipped - working, not working, new, old. The second step is custom clearance, this is best left to the experts. There are clearance companies that will do this for you. I don't exactly remember how much I paid for customs but it is definitely not as exorbitant as in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Vitesse View Post
Wow! This is just awesome and, I dare say, romantic! You have great taste and the snaps show the same. This red is a beautiful color choice. I particularly like the snap (taken from right behind and outside the car) showing the steering wheel and ORVM. Beautiful enough to find its place in an ad.
Thank you. Glad that you observed my photography skills . That is my other hobby.
passanha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 08:49   #30
BHPian

This is Scintillating stuff! Really a feast for eye. It looks painstakingly done, but that also shows the passion with which you've done it... Totally drool-worthy!
pineapple_ameet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks