Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2007, 14:40   #31
BHPian

if one finds car like this does he get the ownership of that car also i saw a old car was huge convertible with out the rag cloth at some garage had bumpers like the one in the happy dent ad asked the guy bout the car he was showing me so was adamant to get pics so went talking to him about montana over there and took the pics will put it up.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:15   #32
BHPian

Great! now i know what to plan for my vacations this year. Portugal here i come!

Old 7th July 2007, 08:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The number of pics on that link - endless .. Imagine actually being there. DROOOOOLL !

The barn seems open to the elements, only the door was sealed. The elements would have been working away over the years. Hope they will be able to restore these beauties to their original, pristine condition.
Old 7th July 2007, 15:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldnt say the barns open to the elements. Agreed, its not fully sealed, but its a solid structure. Just the edges of the roof are open, I suppose for ventilation. Most of the cars look to be in very good shape, of course showing a little age from sitting so long.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

One question!

Suppose those cars have documents and what happens when the registration document has somebody else's name as the rightful owner. Will the guy who bought estate with the barn have any rights over those vehicles?

Man i would go crazy if i had those cars and then were later snatched away from me!
Old 7th July 2007, 16:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Suppose those cars have documents and what happens when the registration document has somebody else's name as the rightful owner. Will the guy who bought estate with the barn have any rights over those vehicles? Man i would go crazy if i had those cars and then were later snatched away from me!
Usually in such cases, the land deal would clearly state purchase of land, and all property on it. this would usually imply the buildings, trees etc present on the land. It could also hold true for hordes of stored classics i suppose. The previous owner of the car apparently didnt care to hang onto the cars, or perhaps is deceased. Wonder how his will would read?!
Old 7th July 2007, 16:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

If the clause in the property deed does not include movable/not permanent assets such as these classic cars, obviously worth much $$, the heirs of the original owner could go to court to obtain possession of these beauties. Isn't it so?
Old 7th July 2007, 18:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this can become a litigation.
Old 7th July 2007, 19:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Eh, no jokes. I've heard this a couple of times. I know someone who discovered a Stingray on his dad's ancestral property. No engine, just the body and suspension. Last I remember, he was planning to put a Merc mill in it.
Beautiful cars and a dream come true for us guys if we would be the lucky ones. I think that its pretty difficult for someone to just forget so so sooo many valuable cars especially since a lot of them are from the early to mid seventies (the Elan) to the late seventies-early eighties (the Alfasud). So i think this is not a barn find as such but maybe some guy sold the property with all these things in the barn. Did you see the size of that barn, maybe more like a hangar. I find it difficult to digest that someone was'nt even curious to open the huge shed to see whats in there.
Old 7th July 2007, 19:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Beautiful cars and a dream come true for us guys if we would be the lucky ones. I think that its pretty difficult for someone to just forget so so sooo many valuable cars especially since a lot of them are from the early to mid seventies (the Elan) to the late seventies-early eighties (the Alfasud).
probablya smuggling racket gone bad.
Old 7th July 2007, 20:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
probablya smuggling racket gone bad.
Hmmm... possible... could be. But if they were smuggling cars then why are there cars in unrestored condition? Usually smugglers deal in only nice examples and wont bother with non-runners and some non-runners are just ordinary cars.
Old 8th July 2007, 07:18   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
I wouldnt say the barns open to the elements. Agreed, its not fully sealed, but its a solid structure. Just the edges of the roof are open, I suppose for ventilation. Most of the cars look to be in very good shape, of course showing a little age from sitting so long.
Karl, those open edges would be enough to allow outside moisture into the barn. If one was storing cars, he should have used a de-humidifier to slow down any rusting & damage due to moisture.

I know of people who have vintage cars, and they use de-humidifiers inside the garage for as long as the car is inside. They do use the cars on the roads, though.

The cars look to be in good shape, but that is from a distance. We still havent seen any pics from close up, after cleaning all the bird droppings and dust.

Also, I did notice that the tires of many cars are still inflated - wonder if the cars are resting on some kind of support.
Old 1st August 2007, 15:14   #43
BHPian

The great Barn Find turns out to be a Hoax

The Fairy tale turns out to be just that a Fairy Tale.

Old Cars Weekly just tracked down the story behind the story, and the real explanation is almost as good as the hoax. What we are actually seeing in those pictures is the collection of an automobile dealer who over the years has added many vehicles that caught his fancy. He just drove them to the barn and parked them there, presumably waiting until he decided what to do with the lot of them next. About a year ago he sent in a photographer to document the collection, and those pics are the ones circulating the internet, helping to create and sustain this myth. So now you know the truth behind the Great Portugal Barn Find.

Courtesy Autoblog The Great Portugese Barn Find hoax debunked but still going strong - Autoblog

Last edited by sreedotk : 1st August 2007 at 15:15.
Old 1st August 2007, 16:56   #44
BHPian

One of the many Urban legends
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Portuguese Barn Find
Old 1st August 2007, 18:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh well. Atleast it gave us hope for awhile. Still a pretty amazing collection, and a good view.

Most Viewed