Team-BHP - Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Beyond Borders (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond-borders/)
-   -   Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyond-borders/87959-old-pictures-vintage-classic-cars-beyond-our-borders-5.html)

Very distinctive 36-39 grille, if its not a Ford, Ill hazard a guess, a 37-38 Nash...Lafayette maybe? Its an American allright.

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post these pictures. Excuse me.

These pictures were scanned and sent to me by a friend. This is from an album of an Italian couple travelling through Eurpope in 1932 in their then new car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuffRyder (Post 2421641)
....These pictures were scanned and sent to me by a friend. This is from an album of an Italian couple travelling through Eurpope in 1932 in their then new car.

Nice pictures, please give some info about the source, connection,what is the story?
The car is a Ford A Roadster, registered in Germany. Even at that time the "D" plate was in use to identify the country. Today that is icluded in the number plate. This car has a number of accessories.
On the other vehicles one can see Swiss plates, the countryside would also point to that. There is a high bridge under construction, maybe that can give a clue.
The Ford T was an old car at that time and mounted on a pedestral at some dealer/service station.
In the last picture on the bridge there is a notice on either side there is a notice, partly legible saying something about headlights.
Nice pictures, many will love them.

Cheers harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by harit (Post 2422016)
Nice pictures, please give some info about the source, connection,what is the story?
Cheers harit

Hi Harit:

This was passed on to me by a friend called Mike from Germany. I will try to get more information from him. All that is known is he has this ablum of this couple who were touring Europe in 1932. There are lot more pictures from that album but nothing to do with cars but taken along the tour. Very nice photography considering they were taken with hardware from that era. I can mail you the scan if you are interested.

Can anyone identify the motorcycle in the 10th picture?

Cheers

Here are some period publicity shots from VW showing oval windowed cars (1953/57).

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-lift.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-ovals07.jpg

Interesting to note this shot features a 'Standard' version, with no chrome.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-wall02.jpg

Recently I was on a vacation to Lanka and clicked a couple of vintage cars - some model of Vauxhall and Merc. Well, I actually saw quite a few classic cars, howvever I wasn't able to click all of them as they were on the move. Hopefully, I'll upload the pics shortly after transferring them from the memory card.

Here is one of my favorite photos, showing Jean Bugatti (son of Ettore) standing next to the prettiest of the Royales, the Esder's car. Interestingly I read that it was ordered new without headlights. What proportions!

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-4756375774_61cbf3e448_b.jpg

And for the Fiat lovers, a Millecento 103E doing Police duty in Italy back in the day.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-fiat_1100_tv_stradale.jpg

The Great Depression of 1929 was a very bad phase in modern history when the US economy came tumbling down.It had devastating effects and the first ones to perish were the luxury marques of cars whose demand was almost gone. Many companies had to close down. The greatest car ever built the Bugatti Royale (about which Karl has said in the previous post) was just launched and Ettore Bugatti had to beat a hasty retreat losing much of his wealth. Manufacture of the car was shelved soon.
Some images from the US of A featuring the devastation:
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-breadlinesny1932.jpg
Bread lines in New York 1932
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-us1936gr8dep.jpg
A 1936 image-camping
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-usgr8dep1935.jpg
A 1935 image showing a depressed couple
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-usgr8dep1935.jpg
A 1935 image people shifting bag and baggage
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-usgrdep1935.jpg
A 1935 image showing a car with trailer moving away
Picture Source Rediffnews text by self

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 2441077)
Here is one of my favorite photos, .......... prettiest of the Royales, the Esder's car. Interestingly I read that it was ordered new without headlights. What proportions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 2466386)
The Great Depression of 1929 was a very bad phase in modern history when the US economy came tumbling down.It had devastating effects and the first ones to perish were the luxury marques of cars whose demand was almost gone. Many companies had to close down. The greatest car ever built the Bugatti Royale (about which Karl has said in the previous post) was just launched and Ettore Bugatti had to beat a hasty retreat losing much of his wealth. Manufacture of the car was shelved soon.
Some images from the US of A featuring the devastation:

A 1935 image showing a depressed couple

Picture Source Rediffnews text by self

Nice pictures and the timing is perfect:D. Luckily the markets seem to be recovering.
The Esders Bugatti was built without headlights because it was never intended to be used in the dark! That is supposed to be a fact. The body was later removed and the car rebodied. Schlumpf brothers were recreating the Esders car, using a Bugatti railcar engine. It could not be completed before the financial disaster.

Regarding Bugatti Royale and the American depression, I see no link. While in America a lot of great marques died, merged, downsized, the European great marques in France and Italy declined because the local tax laws did not favour these road giants. The Bugatti Royale was not bought by even a Maharaja, and they had no depression to worry about.
About the depressed couple, could they could have been directed to a psychiatrist. Actually the people were not depressed, they lost their jobs, homes and because of that they left for places looking for better opportunities. Many of those who speculated and lost all were depressed. and may have shot themselves. There are quite a few pictures of people who lost all and then set off in their cars and were living in them.

Cheers harit

A few picture post cards from my nearly decade old European trip. The pictures were perhaps clicked even earlier as many older cars of the 1970's can be sighted:
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0004.jpg
Zuiderkerk,Amsterdam(Hamar)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0005.jpg
Amsterdam (Hamar)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0006.jpg
Amsterdam (Igno Cuypers)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0007.jpg
Arc De Triomphe, Paris (OVET)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0008.jpg
Arc De Triomphe, Paris (G.Gsell)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0009.jpg
Notre Dame, Paris (Gaetan Renoux)
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-scan0010.jpg
Les Champs De Elysees, Paris (OVET)

Hi mods, can we replace the word "Old" with "B+W"?:D

Here a king is inspecting a factory or workshop. Car appears to be a Ford.

Cheers harit

There's something about vintage cars that sets them apart from the contemporary cars we see today. I always prefer a car that has a classy design compared to a car that is just about speed.

Here are Some Vintage Photos i had Downloaded from the Net Long time Back. Don't remember the Source now.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-0qzpzobn2eqqdj7yca96.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-56.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-264.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-322.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1915mortonsmom.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-35113191000793.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-624941052.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-a131.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-a135.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-boardtrack1000x7692.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-stewart1.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-a_enzo_ferrari_at_the_wheel.jpg

Some pictures from abroad:
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-detriot-traffic-sceneebay.jpg
Detriot traffic scene
source ebay
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-fifthavegoogleimage.jpg
Fifth Avenue New York
source google images
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-francedordognesworrldtravellereu.jpg
Dordogne , France
source world travellereu
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-malta-worldtravellereu.jpg
Malta street
source world travellereu

Old street pictures with vintage cars from Australia. Mostly looks like British cars and others.

Source: Skycrappercity

Cheers!