Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:55   #16
BHPian

Berolina Rundfahrten

One of my postcard dipicting a MAN public transport vehicle.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-german-bus-pc.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-german-bus-pc2.jpg

details in german! do we have a translator?
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
One of my postcard dipicting a MAN public transport vehicle. details in german! do we have a translator?
Yes, we do.

Thien's (a name) Berolina Tours
Prop. F. Lohrer
Central 10946 : North 10944 - 45
Office : Unter den Linden 23
Starting point :
Unter den Linden corner Friedrichstrasse (street)

It also gives the name of the photographer.

Unter den Linden was a very famous avenue in Berlin, later located in East Berlin.

This vehicle is what is called a Charablanc, long bus like passenger vehicles with an open top, and used in the 1920's.
These were used in city tourist tours, in many cities at least in Germany, in the nostalgic thread we have seen postcards of Hofman Reisen in the city of Dresden. It was a custom to take a group photo of the travellers on a tour and probably they had the option to buy a copy, often in the form of a postcard. That is how these kind of photos land up all over the world, after all these were tourists. In most cases the photo is aimed at the passengers, the Charablanc is rarely seen complete. Here also the bonnet of the bus is 'cut'. I too have a picture of this Thiens bus taken in front of the Berlin Brandenburg gate, it may appear in The Automobile as one gent sitting in the bus appears to be the same among those who appears in two pictures of mine which they have published last month. So I sent that picture to them as a follow up.

You can google "Thien's Berlina Rundfahrten" and see a number of pictures of their busses, and their catalogue. In my pic it says Wag 1, 40 Pers, vehicle 1 40 passengers. My picture is of this Charablanc taken from the other side, now atleast I know the make.

Where did you get this picture? If it was in your family, then likelyhood exists that someone from your family visited Germany in the 1920's. And he will be in the picture.

Last edited by harit : 2nd October 2010 at 12:41.
Old 2nd October 2010, 19:34   #18
BHPian

Thanks Harit,
Thats a lot of information!

I think you are quite right when you say that these postcards were marketed to the passengers, because there are more postcards of the sightseers then the sites themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Where did you get this picture? If it was in your family, then likelyhood exists that someone from your family visited Germany in the 1920's. And he will be in the picture.
I am collecting old postcards/photographs related to Belgaum from the net. An englishman had few of them, i checked what else he had, and found this postcard to be very clean and very high res. This was an unusual vehicle with lots of happy people in it. I really loved the wheels! so I asked him to send the postcard along with the belgaum ones.

and yes i did google it and found some more of them on the net.

regards

-invinci
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Invinci.

Do check out these old pictures of my Jaguar sent to me by HH Hariharrao Patwardhan of teh Kurundwad Junior family who were the ersthwile royal family of Belgaum.

This car is with me now.

The pics were posted by me on this thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...undwad-jr.html

I was fortunate to have had the oppertunity to correspond with him regarding this car and he has added much to its tale.

Look forward to hearing more from you on this Royal Family and their cars
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Invinci.

Do check out these old pictures of my Jaguar sent to me by HH Hariharrao Patwardhan of teh Kurundwad Junior family who were the ersthwile royal family of Belgaum.
Hi !

To begin with the Kurundwad family are not exactly "the ersthwile royal family of Belgaum". The kurundwad where under the peshwas and their area of jurisdiction was not more then 350sq miles, and Kurundwad is not currently in modern Belgaum District(area 13000 sq kms dotted with many small forts & princely states or sarkars as they are called here.) nor in Karnataka state.

The only male hier of the Patwardhans of Jamkhandi (related to kurundwad family) is a friend, they were Burmah shell dealers and have not owned any vntage or classic in recent past.

We own a classic Indian made foreign vehicle belonging to a sarkar based 20Kms from Jamkhandi.

The only Patwardhans(related to kurundwad family) i know in modern Belgaum District are in Ramdurg Taluk . They still have a well maintained Standard Vanguard 1953/55 model, which is used daily to go to the Ramdurg Club by a Dr.Patwardhan. I have seen the car(always shining) parked in garage inside the compound. I will try to get some picture of the car, specially for Shyam.

For general people in Belgaum, they hardly know of a place called Kurundwad. I knew of it as a remote place with little significance. For me to know of a Jaguar belonging to Kurundwad was a complete shocker.

The photos of the Jag with the kurundwad family has already been downloaded to my archive.

Thanks Wasif for initiating curiosity in Kurundwad, as and when possible i will try to get more information about the family & their possessions.

@ team-bhpian Kurundwad : Sir, Please correct me, if i was wrong somewhere & it will be more apt for you to shed some light on the cars of your immediate and extended family then for someone else.

regards

-invinci
Old 8th October 2010, 18:09   #21
BHPian

The Conquest Of The Sahara By Automobile

I am usually reluctant to scan pages of very old magzines so as to avoid any damage to them, but I wanted to share with my fellow friends one article of National Geographic Society January 1924 edition. ( I hope there are no copyrights issues involved)

In Dec 1922 a team including Manager of Citroen Automobile works, a ex-Airman, a representative of French Air Ministry, a scientific observer, a moving picture operator(i am not clear if it is a videographer or a projector operator)and five mechanics embarked upon a journey from South Algeria to Timbuktu on five Citroen cars called Golden Beetle", "Silver Crescent", "Flying Tortoise", "Ox of Apis" and "Crawling Caterpillar.

Adolphe Kegresse, former garage mechanic to the Czar of Russia modified special Citroen with half-track conversion kit perfected by him. His contribution to special purpose vehicle which were designed to travel on difficult terrain deserves much appreciation.

While the narrative of the article dosent go into the technicality of the vehicles The photographs are attributed to Andre Citroen (The founder of The Citroen Automobile works). I think in his tradition Citroen is manufacturing one of the finest rally cars to this date and this journey may have inspired the Paris Dakkar Rally.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-conquest-sahara-1.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-conquest-sahara-2.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-conquest-sahara-3.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-conquest-sahara-4.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-conquest-sahara-5.jpg

Can anybody put names to the designation of the participants of this journey?

Dear friends any guidance on preservation of old photos/books will be appreciated, please PM me.

regards
-invinci

Last edited by invinci : 8th October 2010 at 18:10.
Old 8th October 2010, 23:54   #22
BHPian

The 1937 Willys is indeed a rare car.There used to be Black Sedan parked in a shed adjacent to a house,opp the old Muncipal Council Hall in Darul Shafa long back.The car was complete and parked but did not seem to be in use.Its never seen in Hyderabad,so in all probablity must have left Hyd
Old 9th October 2010, 16:13   #23
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi !
@ team-bhpian Kurundwad : Sir, Please correct me, if i was wrong somewhere & it will be more apt for you to shed some light on the cars of your immediate and extended family then for someone else.
regards
-invinci
You may be able to contact him through the telephone number listed in this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1387962-post11.html

Cheers

KPS
Old 9th October 2010, 23:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Dec 1922 a team including Manager of Citroen Automobile works, a ex-Airman, a representative of French Air Ministry, a scientific observer, a moving picture operator(i am not clear if it is a videographer or a projector operator)and five mechanics embarked upon a journey from South Algeria to Timbuktu on five Citroen cars called Golden Beetle", "Silver Crescent", "Flying Tortoise", "Ox of Apis" and "Crawling Caterpillar.
Adolphe Kegresse, former garage mechanic to the Czar of Russia modified special Citroen with half-track conversion kit perfected by him. His contribution to special purpose vehicle which were designed to travel on difficult terrain deserves much appreciation.regards -invinci
By sheer coincidence, www.prewarcar.com today lists a Citroen Kegresse for sale.
The Czar had a Rolls with this half trck set-up, now in a Russian Museum, once used by Comarade Lenin.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 9th October 2010 at 23:30.
Old 10th October 2010, 01:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
By sheer coincidence, www.prewarcar.com today lists a Citroen Kegresse for sale.
The Czar had a Rolls with this half trck set-up, now in a Russian Museum, once used by Comarade Lenin.

Cheers harit
"This car has been sold or is no longer on the market" it says at www.prewarcars.com for 1927 Citroën Kegresse while a 1932 Citroën P 17 E Kegresse Open Tourer Half Track is still available! It is turning out to be a Citroën Kegresse day!

Maybe a better road network & lac of snow in India had kept the Kegress Halftrack out of India otherwise we would surely have seen plenty of Halftrack Rolls for the Maharajas.

regards
invinci
Old 10th October 2010, 11:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
The 1937 Willys is indeed a rare car.There used to be Black Sedan parked in a shed adjacent to a house,opp the old Muncipal Council Hall in Darul Shafa long back.The car was complete and parked but did not seem to be in use.Its never seen in Hyderabad,so in all probablity must have left Hyd

Mohammed Bhai.

This black 37 Willys then moved to a workshop that was in a graveyard opp Ram Krishna Theaters next to the Siasat Lane.

It lay there for some time with its engine removerd and then dissapeared one day.

It has recently come to light again and appears to have been turned into a hot rod as pictured below.

Check post no 83 on this link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1379652

Do you think this is the same car ?
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-apx202043.jpg  

Old 10th October 2010, 14:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This black 37 Willys then moved to a workshop that was in a graveyard opp Ram Krishna Theaters next to the Siasat Lane.

It lay there for some time with its engine removerd and then dissapeared one day.

It has recently come to light again and appears to have been turned into a hot rod as pictured below.

Do you think this is the same car ?
Interesting car!

'looks like its somewhere at Country Club in the Begumpet area, going by the surroundings?

And any idea what engine it has now?

Last edited by Stanher : 10th October 2010 at 14:19.
Old 17th October 2010, 11:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are bunch of real oddities - 3 wheeled backyard projects made back in the day, all on VW running gear. I had come across these pictures years back on the Gute Fahrt website. More to follow.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel01.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel02.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel03.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel04.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel05.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-3wheel06.jpg
Old 17th October 2010, 11:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

In the late 1930s, as the KDF-wagen project was nearing completion, the military top brass in Germany was submitted the 'Vauxhall report', probably named after the chief inspector, I doubt it had anything to do with the car company of the same name. Here are some pictures from the report, courtesy thesamba.com

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report01.jpg

Name:  report02.jpg
Views: 3699
Size:  53.2 KB

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report03.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report04.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report05.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report06.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report07.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report08.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report09.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report10.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report11.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report12.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report13.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-report14.jpg
Old 17th October 2010, 11:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Amongst the many one offs/prototypes built near the WW2 era, was this 'Radclyffe Roadster', a very pretty car I think. It was built for a high ranking military officer named Radclyffe if I remember right.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1946-radclyffe-roadster01.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1946-radclyffe-roadster02.jpg

Here is an Ambulance conversion dating to 1946. Krankenwagen literally translates to sick car or car for the sick.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1949-krankenwagen-miesen.jpg

Here are some war time creations which had some connection with Austro Tatra, I do not know much.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-austrotatra01.jpg

Here is a Papler conversion 4 door cabrio. A few survive today.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-austrotatra02.jpg

Another coachbuild on VW running gear, by Auto Drews.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-autodrews01.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-autodrews02.jpg

A rare shot of VW protos on the newly opened Autobahns.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-autobahn.jpg

A Dutch police car conversion based on a 1960 Karmann cabriolet.

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1960-karmann-conversion-dutch-police.jpg

Photos courtesy thesamba.com and Gute Fahrt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks