Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders

I thought that this was an ideal place to post old and very old pictures related to automobiles, which I have found in India. I very much liked the name Beyond Borders.

Till date I used to try and post such pictures on foreign sites, there sometimes I had to wait till they put them up. I have put up a heading in such a way that it may show up prompt when "Vintage and Classic Cars" is googled.

This picture should invite many comments, about a lady driving, vehicles on hire, and on the car itself. I have no clue about the picture, London is mentioned. My guess is that this is before 1915. The picture is also very delicate, needs to be preserved.

Generally I do not buy old pictures of cars where the picture was taken outside India. But sometimes nice pics do crop up, sometimes they are included in a lot. At that time I do get soft and keep the photo.
Hope this thread grows nicely.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-op-bhp-forn-001.jpg  

Old 1st September 2010, 14:58   #2
BHPian

Vintage cars & street scene

It is my favourite old cars and street scenes, it shows lot of history, culture of that period, I collected lot of pictures of various places outside India from internet and friends, here I am posting one of Beirut street in 1930-40's.

I don't know it is correct to post in this thread, if it is wrong, mods. pls move it.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-wwii5pw6_bb.jpg  

Old 1st September 2010, 15:23   #3
BHPian

Ford-T

Another car from Lebanon, seems to be Ford-T. Source:Welcome to proffesionalphotographers.net

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-ford_t__and_dad_by_ouylle.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2010, 16:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
It is my favourite old cars and street scenes, it shows lot of history, culture of that period, I collected lot of pictures of various places outside India from internet and friends, here I am posting one of Beirut street in 1930-40's.
I don't know it is correct to post in this thread.........Cheers!
This is the correct place to post this!
BTW, did you notice that in your picture the cars all have a stripe painted on the fenders, it seems to be wartime. Old Calcutta pictures have cars with this sort of "war paint".

Below is a Plymouth 1954, back of the picture says "place de la Concord, Paris" in such a bad handwriting that I needed google to help me sort that out. Anyone familiar with Paris may confirm the place.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-bhp-02.jpg  

Old 4th September 2010, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

The car in this picture seems to be American, registration BYX seems to be British. But on the back of the photo the following is written " Reti and Marie in Wiesbaden. The car is Keki H". The photo is dated 3/47.
Wiesbaden is a city in Germany.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-op-scene-10-.jpg  

Old 4th September 2010, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
BTW, did you notice that in your picture the cars all have a stripe painted on the fenders, it seems to be wartime. Old Calcutta pictures have cars with this sort of "war paint".

Cheers harit
>>> harit,

Very evocative pics - thank you for starting the thread.

What could be the reason for the stripe?
We had half the circular headlights blacked out during the 1971 war in India, especially in North India to keep the illumination of the headlamps focussed on the road and not 'diffuse' upwards, I imagine.

Regards
issigonis
Old 4th September 2010, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
What could be the reason for the stripe?
I think the reason of white stripe around the cars, was to differentiate between civilian cars and military vehicles. Civilain cars might be adviced to have white strip around on their vehicle during the war time and which will be spared by fighter planes or bombers.

Cheers!
Old 4th September 2010, 14:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently visited the Škoda museum in Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic. On one wall was this large blow up picture shot possibly around WW2. It shows a massive and rather menacing looking tractor that was built by Škoda at the time. Sitting alongside is a group of people in which the designer of the tractor is also seen - a certain Dr. Ferdinand Porsche!

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-01.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-02.jpg
Old 4th September 2010, 15:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be in Japan and the car on the right appears to be a very old Toyota. Nothing is mentioned on the back of the photo. There is a landmark, maybe someone recognizes it.

Cheers harit

P.S. Refering to the pictures with the cars having white warpaint stripes, these were not for identification as civilian vehicles for war planes but to created some visibility for others when being driven on the roads to avoid/reduce accidents. Anyway civilians were not supposed to be out during a raid, and if they fled during a raid the planes would often attack them anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-op-scene-11-.jpg  

Old 4th September 2010, 20:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A parking lot in Coventry town, UK. I could spot some Morris Oxford Series II's(our Landmasters).Also some very common British cars of those days are seen.
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-cov-1961.jpg
Old 4th September 2010, 20:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Karl, you seem to have explored a lots of east europe recently..
A haven for any vintage car enthu's in real sense. One can find vintage/classic cars that may choke your throat & that even in ORIGINAL condition.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 4th September 2010 at 20:51.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

For the VW fan - Here is a series of period photos I had come across ages back on www.thesamba.com - all are historically very significant, and all VW related.

The 1000th Beetle produced
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1000bug.jpg

The 10,000th car
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-10000bug.jpg

The 50,000th car
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-50thousand.jpg

The 100,000th car
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-100000bug01.jpg

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-100000bug03.jpg

The 1 millionth car - what a display!
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-millionth-celebration.jpg

The 5 millionth car
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-5million.jpg

the 1 millionth Bus
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1million_bus.jpg

10,000th car for Norway
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-10000norway.jpg

Ben Pon - the famous Dutch importer who asked for a commercial transporter concept to be made on Beetle mechanicals, which resulted into the famous 'Transporter' van.
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-benpon.jpg

During WW2 as petrol was a scarce commodity, a few 'Holzbrenners' were converted to run on wood!
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-holzbrenner05.jpg

The legendary Heinz Nordhoff - the man largely credited with building up VW into the giant that it is today.
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-nordhoff.jpg

And finally a very rare shot of some VW30 prototypes being destroyed. 30 prototypes were made in the development stage of the VW, called the VW30s. The design bore some resemblance, but was nowhere close to being final. None of them remain today, though a couple of replicas have been built. A private collector I met does though have an original central tunnel frame from one car, but more on that later.
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-vw30grave02.jpg
Old 11th September 2010, 21:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this stunning image of the very famous Napier Railton special that set the lap record at Brookland's in 1935. Note ALL 4 wheels in the air - what a marvelous shot!

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-john_cobb_in_the_napierrailton_1935.jpg

Bluecol - Bluecol Antifreeze Testamonial
Old 13th September 2010, 21:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
We had half the circular headlights blacked out during the 1971 war in India, especially in North India to keep the illumination of the headlamps focussed on the road and not 'diffuse' upwards, I imagine.
I was under the impression that the blacking out of the upper half of the headlights was in place even before 1971? (from photos dating to pre-1971 that Iv'e seen)
Which would explain how/why it continued even decades after the '71 war.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:50   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The rare Plaidside Willys-Knights
Al Gidding Collection on special display Oct. 4-7 at AACA Museum
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-red-plaidside-giddings-w-d-clark.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-1930-plaidside-roadster-aadsc004051_edited-2.jpg

For those of us who know Willys Overland as a MUV maker this makes an interesting reading:-
HERSHEY, Pa. — If you’re a car lover there’s only one place to be in early October and that’s the AACA Fall Meet inHershey,

One of many special happenings over Meet Week in Hershey is an exhibit of Willys-Knights Great Six Plaidside Cars from the Al Giddings Collection. Both from 1930, these rare cars will be on display for a limited time at the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum (AACA) in Hershey.

During the past three decades, Al Giddings has earned a reputation as one of the most creative and talented director-producer-cinematographers in the entertainment industry. Never settling for off-the-shelf technology, Mr. Giddings is constantly designing innovate cameras, lighting and optical systems in all film and video formats from IMAX to high definition.

Mr. Giddings may best be known for his undersea camera work in these classic films: "The Deep", "For Your Eyes Only”, “Never Say Never Again”, “The Abyss” and “Titanic” the second highest grossing film in movie history. These are just a few of Mr. Giddings’ accomplishments.

On display will be a Willys-Knight Great Six 1930 Plaidside Phaeton— Knight Sleeve Valve Engine powered by a 6 Cylinder - 87 HP — the only one in the world! Although expensive tooling and drawings were completed in 1930, only three of these beautiful 66-B Phaetons were produced. The 1929 stock market crash had devastated the auto industry... however, president John Willys, a consummate showman, demanded his company have a strong presence at the 1930 New York, Chicago and Los Angeles auto shows and ordered three Phaetons built. This is the New York show car and only survivor!
Also on display will be a Willys-Knight Great Six 1930 Plaidside Roadster — Knight Sleeve Valve Engine powered by a 6 cylinder -— 87 hp and one of approximately nine known to exist. Designed by Amos Northup in 1929, the Willys-Knight 66-B Plaidside Roadster is a registered Classic Car Club of America Classic. The novel paint scheme reflects the 1930 factory delivered car. The Willys Overland Company built more than two million cars from 1903 through 1927 — Willys-Knights, Stearns-Knights, Whippets and Overlands made up the bulk of the passenger car lines.

In 1917 the company's production was slightly behind the Ford Company, then the world's largest automobile manufacturer.

Featured below is the 1937 Willys Sedan- another rare car!

Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willysmain.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willysrear.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willyslow.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willysdash.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willysinterior.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willyshood.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willysengine.jpg
Old pictures of Vintage and Classic Cars beyond our borders-37willystrunk.jpg

Source: Old Cars Weekly,USA

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st October 2010 at 23:02.

Most Viewed