Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 15:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Travails of a Cyclist in Indian Cities

The last time I took my cycle out was on 26th Oct as since then all my free exercising time has been taken up by running. As knees were getting hammered royally decided to take the bike out today.

But turned out to be a disaster. My riding partner's bike was rammed by a motorcyclist and the entire rear wheel got mangled up. Thankfully nothing happened to him. After putting him into an auto, a member of the Hyderabad Bicycling Club came forward to help me refill my tyre. Inspite of my objection he kept going on and ended up breaking the stem of the valve. So I also caught an Auto and came home.

Disastrous Day! Got to start training for an upcoming 100Km ride on 26th January. And would like to do a Brevet 200 as well.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The last time I took my cycle out was on 26th Oct as since then all my free exercising time has been taken up by running. As knees were getting hammered royally decided to take the bike out today.

But turned out to be a disaster. My riding partner's bike was rammed by a motorcyclist and the entire rear wheel got mangled up. Thankfully nothing happened to him. After putting him into an auto, a member of the Hyderabad Bicycling Club came forward to help me refill my tyre. Inspite of my objection he kept going on and ended up breaking the stem of the valve. So I also caught an Auto and came home.

Disastrous Day! Got to start training for an upcoming 100Km ride on 26th January. And would like to do a Brevet 200 as well.
Hi MileCruncher. Well, that's quite bad. Hope your day ends on a better note Wow! A 100-Km ride would be a real test of endurance! I took to cycling after a gap of more than 6-7 years. Started slowly and gradually increased the time spent cycling everyday and now my fitness is better and I don't get tired or sore muscles even if I cycle for more than a hour after a week or two's break.

BTW, what's your ride? Also would like to know your biking partner's ride.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
We start talking. He notices the gears on my bike. He wants to know if they are automatic. I show the levers.

Then he asks if I need to pedal the cycle. I tell him, not at all. I wear a loose T-Shirt so I just stand up and let the wind carry me.
...just last week, i had a relative that asked me exactly the same question, whether i needed to pedal the cycle since it was "geared". Some conversations are funny indeed. But on the downside, i hate it when folks start to fiddle with the gear levers to "test" the stationary bike. clickety-clak a few times and the verdict..."ahh..accha cycle hai"
Old 18th June 2013, 17:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Indian national cycling coach dies in road accident:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/nati...nt-884201.html

"The group had left for practice [...] early morning (5AM) [...] She was following the cyclists when she was hit by a speeding car from behind leading to her death on the spot."
Old 18th June 2013, 17:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Indian national cycling coach dies in road accident:

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/nati...nt-884201.html

"The group had left for practice [...] early morning (5AM) [...] She was following the cyclists when she was hit by a speeding car from behind leading to her death on the spot."
May her soul RIP.

On that note, given our rather unfriendly demeanor towards cyclists, what were a group of professional cyclists riding on an expressway (where people definitely think that they can drive at 200 kmph if their car permits them) in the dark early hours of the day?!
Old 18th June 2013, 17:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
May her soul RIP.

On that note, given our rather unfriendly demeanor towards cyclists, what were a group of professional cyclists riding on an expressway (where people definitely think that they can drive at 200 kmph if their car permits them) in the dark early hours of the day?!
She and the team under her tutelage were returning from practice:

"Fifty-year-old Chatterjee was cycling along with Indian junior road cycling team when she was hit by a car near Sector 45 in Noida at around 6 am and was flung to a distance."

"The group had left for practice from Indira Gandhi Sports Complex early morning to Noida and while they were returning to Delhi the accident took place."
Old 18th June 2013, 17:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"Fifty-year-old Chatterjee was cycling along with Indian junior road cycling team when she was hit by a car near Sector 45 in Noida at around 6 am and was flung to a distance."

"The group had left for practice from Indira Gandhi Sports Complex early morning to Noida and while they were returning to Delhi the accident took place."
The report says that they were cycling on the Noida-Greater Noida expressway. Now what business has the cycling team or a single cyclist for that matter, have on an expressway? Leading an entire bunch of youngsters on cycles on an expressway is asking for an accident sooner than later. Luckily it was she, who got hit instead of a youngster with his/her whole life ahead of them!!!

Its one thing to see uneducated villagers riding wrong way, on a expressway, or jaywalking, but I am not sure what excuse would an educated lady, the coach of our national cycling team have for this behaviour. Shocking!!!! Sad for her, she paid the ultimate price for her mistake. RIP!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 18:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May her soul RIP.

Because there are no other roads where there's open enough roads and MUCH lesser traffic - this road is favorite with cyclists in the area FYI.

i think the velodrome that was made for the CWG has never been used thereafter (or was damaged shortly afterwards).

here's a group of folks minding their own business at a time when they don't interfere with traffic - really sad this happened.
Old 18th June 2013, 18:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is what the article says. I read that. I was just wondering why on an expressway at such an early hour where it might be hard enough to spot other motorists when speeding, forget cyclists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Now what business has the cycling team or a single cyclist for that matter, have on an expressway?
I have similar thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Because there are no other roads where there's open enough roads and MUCH lesser traffic
I guess that explains why. I hope that this accident is an eye opener - this may lead to some restrictions/identified cycling lane if there is enough public outcry. Sad way for that to happen, nevertheless.
Old 18th June 2013, 21:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess that explains why. I hope that this accident is an eye opener - this may lead to some restrictions/identified cycling lane if there is enough public outcry. Sad way for that to happen, nevertheless.
The fact is that stupid cabbies or distracted car drivers exist at every turn. There's a reason why many cyclists in India drive + ride or ride early if they plan to train hard or go to expressways at odd hours (think 3pm, ORR hyd) so that they run into the least amount of traffic. But sometimes one's best is not enough :(
Old 18th June 2013, 22:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The fact is that stupid cabbies or distracted car drivers exist at every turn. There's a reason why many cyclists in India drive + ride or ride early if they plan to train hard or go to expressways at odd hours (think 3pm, ORR hyd) so that they run into the least amount of traffic. But sometimes one's best is not enough :(
Same here in Mumbai, at 3-4 am we see lot of cyclists practicing/riding on the Eastern/Western express highways. Now these guys generally keep to the left most lane and out of traffic, but at 3am most of the scanty traffic comprises of cabs who are in a tearing hurry to reach somewhere, or drunks who are not aware of where they are, either case it is a serious risk to the cyclist
Old 18th June 2013, 22:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here in Mumbai, at 3-4 am we see lot of cyclists practicing/riding on the Eastern/Western express highways. Now these guys generally keep to the left most lane and out of traffic, but at 3am most of the scanty traffic comprises of cabs who are in a tearing hurry to reach somewhere, or drunks who are not aware of where they are, either case it is a serious risk to the cyclist
I understand where you're coming from. I live on Sohna road Gurgaon, where at 5am, there are many dumpers (mostly illegal, overloaded and often racing) passing through at that hour. IMHO its not as bad as it would seem

I would've cycled about 6000km that ways and I think it was plain bad luck in her case.
You would appreciate that if a national team has to cycle at 35-40 kph, then they are as good as most auto walas on the expressway and pose no special problem to other traffic. On the other hand, if they rode at such speeds in a dedicated bike lane, that would be a safety issue concerning other riders!
Old 19th June 2013, 04:51   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The least we should do is point fingers without actually being there. The most we can do is to be prepared for the worst when out on the road.
Perfect!

Let's be clear folks - we cannot run an internet blame-guessing game, a group-judgment circle here. We are have to stop at deducing the confluence of factors that caused the accident so that we can be better prepared.

Yes, we can write pages about how the pedestrians were wrong, the truck hampered visibility, DSP did not notice why the santro in front swerved etc - but I got news for you - this happens EVERYWHERE in India, all the time!

The choice is ours - be forewarned and defensive or incur significant losses to car, co-passengers and self.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 08:06   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same here in Mumbai, at 3-4 am we see lot of cyclists practicing/riding on the Eastern/Western express highways. ...
Cycling on expressway? Inviting disaster. In countries where safety is practices police would have hauled you up.
Old 19th June 2013, 08:38   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

S h i t !!

After my last post I picked up todays paper and read this : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/n.../1/284075.html

Again underscoring the point that expressway are no place for cyclists. More the speed differential between moving vehicle more is safety at risk. Expressways and highways are meant for high speed movement of vehicles.

Almost killed a cyclist myself couple of years back travelling out of Bikaner early in the morning. A bunched up group of cycling team were occupying the entire left side of highway and I was on dipped beams getting blinded by oncoming trucks. Saw the guys in time to brake and avoid.

From cyclists point of view smooth roads are ideal but mind you they are very - VERY - unsafe. I would try and spread the word to all my cyclist friends.

Last edited by sudev : 19th June 2013 at 08:39. Reason: @Mods : Sorry for the expletive but I think deserved in this case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks