Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 11:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bicycle vs Pulsar vs Bus. Who is the fastest in Bangalore traffic!

For someone with knees as bust up as mine, do the number of ascents/ inclines on that route not matter?
What I intend to say is that if there are mandatory flyovers to be taken or the city roads are up/ down, then a motorbike would be faster than a bicycle. At least for me!

I am not arguing against the bicycle. In fact I would like to be a daily cyclist. The things that stop me from doing so in Pune for my 7km commute:
- the dedicated cycle path is used by pedestrians and motorbikes. Sometimes by vendors
- no showers at work place
- parking lot at work place is on 3rd floor. no parking at ground floor. My knees cannot take that ride!
- too many ups/ downs on that route (can be resolved by increasing cycling stamina gardually)
Old 25th January 2012, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
- the dedicated cycle path is used by pedestrians and motorbikes. Sometimes by vendors
- parking lot at work place is on 3rd floor. no parking at ground floor. My knees cannot take that ride!
- too many ups/ downs on that route (can be resolved by increasing cycling stamina gardually)
A lot of workplaces in Bangalore , especially the IT employers have implemented showers and proper parking for the cyclists , but things like a separate cycling lane have to be addressed by the government authorities and that's the bottleneck for a bicycle commuting common man !
Old 25th January 2012, 12:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont cycle daily (16kms one way ),but whenever I do ,it takes me 1 hour to 50 minutes to do the 16kms from my home to office .

I reach at the same time,if not earlier than the Volvo buses that i see at Madivala.

The BMTC buses are the only problems that I face ,because of the way they stop and drive on the road .

Also ,ever since I started cycling to work ,I have greater respect for other road users .

And,whenever I drive back after 630 pm ,the car takes longer time to reach

Last edited by speedsatya : 25th January 2012 at 12:29.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 16:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good healthier option, but a question. Wouldn't one get all sweaty by the time one reaches office, and then need to allocate some time for taking shower. Its gonna be the same story coming back.

I like the idea (promoting cycling), but would rather opt for either Volvo Bus or office transport instead for now, until this becomes more safer and not as much tiring.

I usually do not have any time after i get into the office, its crazy all the way till the day ends, hence allocating time for shower is out of question.

BTW, for getting healthier i have my morning dose of Badminton.
Old 25th January 2012, 22:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Good healthier option, but a question. Wouldn't one get all sweaty by the time one reaches office, and then need to allocate some time for taking shower. Its gonna be the same story coming back.
Its either shower at home or at office. Time balances out.
Old 25th January 2012, 23:08   #21
BHPian

OT: being in the NCR can't imagine cycling to work everyday but for the last few months have started cycling about at least 3 times a week; about 30 kms everytime and am just loving it!
Wish more people realize the joys of cycling and a few that cycling isn't always out of poverty
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 05:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its either shower at home or at office. Time balances out.
I believe (And have been told), exercising in early mornings is most beneficial. So if folks (to go to office on cycle) and having two showers stop early morning exercise routine to start cycling i don't think it will be as beneficial, as the air isn't very fresh, lots of dust and smoke.

If this is done in addition to early morning exercise routine then it makes some sense, and not as a replacement.
Old 7th February 2012, 00:30   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For someone with knees as bust up as mine, do the number of ascents/ inclines on that route not matter?
What I intend to say is that if there are mandatory flyovers to be taken or the city roads are up/ down, then a motorbike would be faster than a bicycle. At least for me!

I am not arguing against the bicycle. In fact I would like to be a daily cyclist. The things that stop me from doing so in Pune for my 7km commute:

Proper usage of gears takes the strain away from the knees.

In fact you can even fix a sensor that measures your cadence. Cadence is the number of times you are rotating the pedals.
A cadence of 80 is said to be the least troublesome for the knees.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 01:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

Proper usage of gears takes the strain away from the knees.

In fact you can even fix a sensor that measures your cadence. Cadence is the number of times you are rotating the pedals.
A cadence of 80 is said to be the least troublesome for the knees.
+1. In fact with a phsio supervised training, the knees only would benefit.
Old 7th February 2012, 11:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm sure the motorbike would have won, if he had ridden like a true Bangalorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I think he rode like a true bangy guy. Without a helmet and riding in right most lane.
A million likes

I hate to say this and I also feel sorry for the plight of bikers in Bangalore: But, why do they ride on the right-most side of the road?

As far as BMTC buses are concerned, if you are inside the Volvo, you are very safe. If you are outside the Volvo (car, bike or cycle), you need special Life Insurance - specifically if you are in the vicinity of a 335E.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bicycle vs Pulsar vs Bus : Who is the fastest in Bangalore traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
But, why do they ride on the right-most side of the road?
They might need to take a right, and start riding the right lane almost 2-3 km ahead !!
Old 7th February 2012, 16:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80

They might need to take a right, and start riding the right lane almost 2-3 km ahead !!
Call it a coincidence; saw a lady doing 60 kmph on the DND flyway in the right most lane!! Wonder why as you can exit only at the toll gates (even then you can't take a right turn! :lol

Wonder if this is the crap that driving school guys do when asking learners to stick to the right lane irrespective of the speed so that they need to worry only bout the left side of the vehicle. Realized this recently when I got my mom enrolled for driving classes. 2 classes and made her opt out & decided to do the classes self.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If that's the case, at least they must have their right indicators ON - that never happens !

The height of this behaviour is when a 50 cc moped rider, stressing his machine to the maximum extent (the equipment will be just short of exploding), goes at 50 kmph on the RHS without wearing a helmet, but listening to something in his earphones !!

After observing these riders, my grandma has come up with this modern-day saying - "all those RHS bikers who could not die yesterday, try their luck today".
Old 7th February 2012, 19:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
If that's the case, at least they must have their right indicators ON - that never happens !

The height of this behaviour is when a 50 cc moped rider, stressing his machine to the maximum extent (the equipment will be just short of exploding), goes at 50 kmph on the RHS without wearing a helmet, but listening to something in his earphones !!

After observing these riders, my grandma has come up with this modern-day saying - "all those RHS bikers who could not die yesterday, try their luck today".
I find these antic masterpieces everyday on ORR from Bellandur till KR Puram. Whenever possible, I take snaps of them and upload on traffic police facebook page. Those guys do impose fines. A small gesture from me in the hope of bringing the change. my 2p
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks