Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 16:37   #211
BHPian

Getting sentimental now, this epic travelogue seems to come to an end.
The writing has been so perfect, I somehow felt I was there, present in most of the scenes you have described. Legendary experience to say the least.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 23:45   #212
BHPian

Re: Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit

The most awesome story I have read in the recent past. It has become quite a habit to check back on this thread every 3-4 hours. And what a read it has been.
The completely white landscapes on your way back are so hauntingly beautiful. Someday...
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 14:39   #213
adc
Senior - BHPian

Re: Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit

Manali -Kalka - Kolkata and more..

The taxi came up in the morning, a good bye to the hotel guys and with the cycle on the carrier the drive starts towards Kalka. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Just one picture to keep that drive towards Kalka in context, here I stopped to buy some good apples for home.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja6.jpg

12312 Kalka - Howrah mail was at close to midnight, reached within time at Kalka, the same process again - booked the cycle in the parcel van. The two days went by on the train, without much to report about. Train was on time at Howrah. The same Tata Ace and its driver was waiting and finally entering Kolkata again some 25 days later.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_1225.jpg

Really good to be back home!! October 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm. Moreover it being a Sunday, all were at home and I do get a great welcome back too!
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_1226.jpg

What a good time to be back too. Kolkata is back to its festive best as Durga Puja had also started by mid October!

From the traditional..
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja1.jpg

..to one that is so unfortunately in news - a pandal depicting the Kedarnath Temple of Uttarakhand
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja2.jpg

and then there were the extravagant ones too.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja3.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja4.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-durga-puja5.jpg

But Puja holidays are also the time when we used to go out for one of our Safari Dicor drives. Now all this solo journey has not only be tough for me but on wife and kid too! We all just want to chill out for a few days, what better than Goa - a great place to specifically relax and absolutely do nothing. As for work, a semblance of it can continue any place as long as net connection is there.

For 2010 Puja holidays, it is Goa then for us, just like what the Ladakhi hotel and restaurant guys do. We take the train rather than the Safari as it is a for a week or so and moreover with 2 wheelers on rent and at super cheap petrol price at Rs 52 approx.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa8.jpg

Straight from Margao We stayed at the relatively lesser known place around Zalor beach. In front of the Hotel Veeniola - mr and mrs adc clicked by master adc [we are all adc! initials of our name]. But the big coincidence -- Our daily scooter had the same number [3755] as that of our Safari Dicor. Someway Safari Dicor VTT-TMT was still with us!
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa13.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-source-river-jonk-sunabeda.jpg

Moreover, Veeniola where we stayed, had a great restaurant run by a local Goanese guy. A great place to stay within budget and plus if you like to avoid the crowded areas.

Zalor beach is located at South Goa between the very well known Varca and Cavelossim. But since this was lesser known, not much of a crowd. The local guys used to play football out here in the evening.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa11.jpg

Brilliant this too for me even - I soon join with them, for the 4 days we were there, I played each and every evening -- more also because of the experience that it brought on, was playing again after some 20 years or so. Goa and Bengal football rivalries are quite known, and can assure that somehow kept Bengal's name there! Did score a few goals, though by the last day, mobility was much reduced due to stiffness due that sudden running around - football is much more intense than cycling or trekking for that short period of time. Thanks much to Gomes and those guys for allowing me to reclaim again some part of my lost days too!! BTW great talented they were, one of them represented India in under 18 or something - moreover have this feeling that the local Goan talent is somehow just a bit better than what we have right now in Bengal. Anyway, If I ever be back again over there at Goa, would surely go and catch up with them again.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa3.jpg

Other than that, we did nothing much, roamed around on the scooter to wherever possible, relaxed, and of course good food has always been our weakness and in Goa what more to add about fantastic sea food.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa14.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa10.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa4.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-goa7.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_1985.jpg

That's it then. - Thank you all for the continuous appreciation and to all the readers for going through this big travel log. It has been more of a celebration of a great travel done and a memoir than a travelogue - so many incidents, of places traveled and people met. Cycling has opened up a whole new kind of experience and definitely this would not be the last one!

And thus to finally close this journey log, a lasting image from this wonderful bicycle and trek travel among the high mountains and passes of the iconic Manali - Leh highway.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-darcha-zingzingbar68.jpg

End. [An epilogue later about what I learned from my first long distance solo bicycling ride.]

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2013 at 13:39. Reason: As requested
adc is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 16:49   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Manali -Kalka - Kolkata and more

End.
Thanks a lot adc da for sharing such a beautiful travelogue with us. You have a brilliant style of writing and each of your post was simply adorable with great pictures included in each one of them.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 18:06   #215
Senior - BHPian

Hello ADC,

Thank you for this inspiring travelogue / adventure tour.

Many of us here belong to your age group & you have reignited the spark in our hearts. We have car crazy people here & you have successfully demonstrated that the world is totally different when you drive & when you cycle to a same place.

You have truly explained that meaning that real pleasure lies in the journey & not at the destination.

Thank you for a motivation & adding a to-do item in my list of things that I want to do before I die.

Regards,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 03:07   #216
BHPian

Congratulations ADC for sharing with us yet another adventurous trip. Hats off ! Must say this is one of your best.
MohsinRoadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:52   #217
BHPian

adc da, standing ovation for completing this herculean journey .

Thanks for sharing Stok details. Most of my queries were answered. Like I was under the impression that only expeditions go. But having some Himalayan trekking experience and proper acclimatization would do I feel.

You have mentioned that agencies do organize treks, is there any minimum group member requirements on that?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:05   #218
adc
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, for putting up the final pic to the above post. It was missed as an attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
You have mentioned that agencies do organize treks, is there any minimum group member requirements on that?

Be fit, mentally and physically, and acclimatize - Stok Kangri can be done.

Of course more the number, more cheaper it will be as overheads get distributed - normally around 10-15 in a group is the norm for the trek companies. But Stok Kangri can be done as an independent trekker or just oneself with a guide as was done here.

Right now with snow you will require a guide and crampons. Stok Kangri for an individual would range from Rs 10-11,000 at the minimum where you depend upon the cafes found on the route or should be around 20,000 around if done as a full service trek, again for an individual.

Last edited by adc : 2nd July 2013 at 14:26.
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:06   #219
Senior - BHPian

Anirban, you truly get inspired and inspire others for adventures. Your travelogues are always mesmerizing but this now seems the ultimate adventure. There is only Kamen_Rider's 5kph Goa Kayaking log that could throw something like this in the face of adversities. Hats off to you and this time you have just set the mark a little too high for many to think about.

I realized what it takes when I recently took my 1.5 yr son to Ladakh drive recently in the face of all the doubts. It did turn out to be quite an adventure. Up there it is a different ballgame with trysts with the nature of different kind at different places and geography unparallelled anywhere else. Our ghats are no match to the same. Can only imagine how extreme the situation is in the winter times.

Salutes to your determination and making it happen, especially how you countered the negative thoughts en-route in the beginning period of the journey.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 00:19   #220
BHPian

thrillophilia page See this link.

These guys have a penchant for plagiarism.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 12:06   #221
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
thrillophilia page See this link.

These guys have a penchant for plagiarism.
Thanks for pointing it out. In fact almost all pictures that this thrillophilia travel agent site has posted looks like has been picked up from one site or other.

Nowadays this just too rampant and difficult to keep a tab on what is being lifted and posted.

But what is more grave and that what I am following up some of my photo essay travelogue pictures have been printed in commercial magazines and no payment came through as per the agreed contract.

Info needed:

Can someone post info or a link about the origin of this iconic Manali-Leh highway, the way it was built, the process, the toil, the planning, the obstacles. Need the info for my own knowledge as well as to put up a writeup on an upcoming website.

Have these links as of now: Himank and Deepak - but these are just initial info.

Last edited by adc : 17th July 2013 at 12:30.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:59   #222
BHPian

ADC, an absolutely fantastic log and a truly determined adventure. Hats off to you. The ride down Tanglang La and the final push to Stok, the lone camping night at Tso Kar are one of the many moments of the trip I relished through your words and photos.

Trust me when I say this, you will truly inspire many to leave the 4 wheels behind and pick up two (without an engine) and trudge on this highway after you.

Rated a truly well deserved 5 stars.
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:22   #223
adc
Senior - BHPian

It is good to be back in team bhp after a 5 month hiatus. A whole lot of travels to catch up and post too - two Safari VTT drives of Rajasthan and Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand, one solo Bullet ride, and two bicycle solo journeys - of Ladakh in October 2013 [Leh - Chang la - along the Pangong - Chushul - Satatho La - Kakasang La - Hor La - Mahe - Nyoma - Leh] and winter Zanskar 2014.

One of the first pictures as I gather and recover myself from some 20 days of tiredness and fatigue yet one stupendous winter bicycle travel on Zanskar frozen river and Khardungla top of winter 2014.

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_9827.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_9743c.jpg

On Khardung la on February 25, 2014
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_7271c.jpg

Last edited by adc : 27th February 2014 at 19:47.
adc is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 19:45   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
.. two bicycle solo journeys - of Ladakh in October 2013 [Leh - Chang la - along the Pangong - Chushul - Satatho La - Kakasang La - Hor La - Mahe - Nyoma - Leh] and winter Zanskar 2014.
.Let it come ADC da! I am all ready and waiting.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 12:12   #225
BHPian

Whenever you start a new log on this - do keep us posted so taht we can follow. This is something amazing!
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed