Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 15:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Solo Bicycling: From Chennai to Kanyakumari

I have people gaping at me when I say I'm driving to Kanyakumari(from Chennai). I think they would faint if they hear you.

Kudos to your grit and determination.

And to your hallucinations, depressions and disorders - Think of Life as a song, a celebration. Create a mindset to enjoy whatever life has to offer. Life is pretty simple!
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:43   #17
BHPian

That was simply awesome! And so were the photos.
I am a lazy guy and not much into physically demanding stuff recently. Yet, during my teens and twenties, I made several cycling trips which were just one day long; beginning from home and ending in home the same day.

In your post, I saw a few photos where you were riding the bicycle on the 'fenced' highway. I guess its allowed in India. I live in Nepal and we don't any proper highway here. A decade or so ago, when I was in China, I and a friend of mine, went on a day long cycling trip. Let me share that experience with the TeamBHPians.

It was a spontaneous plan. It was a regular Saturday morning. Saturdays and Sundays are holidays in China. While I was cycling to the cafeteria for the breakfast, I was joined by my friend, Deepak. As we were finishing our breakfast, we felt like sweating out a little. The provincial government was constructing a new highway just a couple of kilometers from where we lived. My Chinese friends told me that this highway was going to be a bypass to the main highway to ease the traffic. We decided to venture out to this new highway and see where it leads. It was a freshly laid tarmac but without road markings and fencing. There were no traffic and not a single soul on the road for a couple of hours we cycled. Hours later, we were on the main highway. Toll gates under construction acted as the demarcation. A few kms on the main highway, we heard siren wailing behind us. We were suddenly pulled over by police. They were the highway patrol police. We were told that cycling on Chinese highway is strictly prohibited and that it was a punishable offense. We were unaware of this rule. With little Chinese that I knew then, I was able to impress them. They guided us to the exit of the highway from where we were on our own. All the Chinese highways have proper entry points called 入口ru kou and exit points called 出口 chu kou in Chinese each usually 10-12 kms apart. Not far away, I could see the city airport which was some 30 km away from the place where I lived. That gave us a rough idea of the distance we had to cover to get back.

We were then into the countryside and were virtually lost. The locals were helpful and they guided us with the directions. We cycled for several hours in darkness. Fortunately, there were no puncture or mechanical breakdown of the bicycles. We finally reached our place around 10 in the night.

I realized having a proper planning would have been a wise idea. But if it were not so spontaneous, would it have been so fun?
amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 23:18   #18
BHPian

Hi
Amazing period. What a nice and unique travelogue. That too in bike. Great. I wish I could do that. Iam an avid walker and cycler. But I'm scared of the respect we do get in places like India or for that matter South Asia. I have friends in Chennai doing this in weekends in very early mornings from 3am in the outer ring road. Hmmm. After spending 20k or 30k and odds to get a good bike and need to wake up like that to enjoy your ride. Recent Europe trip especially to Holland made me so envy of their country sides with those kind of nice roads and the climate very conducive for these outdoor ventures. Still kudos to you on your determination and will power to do this trip to the native. Rated 5 stars.

Last edited by sgmuser : 15th November 2016 at 23:29.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 09:54   #19
BHPian

hats off to you bro! Kudos.
This is not just a travelogue, it's also a physiological journey and a self help guide.
I completely agree that you are creative. I don't know about your paintings but you can definitely write bro.
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 12:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjstanka View Post

My grand father and relatives asked whether I lost my job. He even tried to offer some money. It was hilarious and I had hard time explaining them that cycling was the whole point.

Nice travelogue. I particularly liked the thoughts and reflections that you have shared.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 14:33   #21
BHPian

Wow, what a travelogue. Very well written, needs lots of patience and imagination to write this way. Hope, you have settled down with your knee pains.
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:04   #22
BHPian

Marvelous Travelogue, wonderfully written, keeping the reader engaged and appropriate inserts of photos. Fantastic, and it needs a lot of determination to do something like this. Hats off !

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 19:16   #23
BHPian

Bro Kudos and Hats off! Let me admit - This is one travelogue which i have been completely engulfed into. You have an unique style to put out your thoughts and emotions to which one can immediately relate to where it matters. all the very best! and take care of your knees
Rover2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 21:08   #24
APV
BHPian

While I started reading your post, I somehow felt some negativity but by the time your reach Kanyakumari it turned to be full positivity. Hats off to you for achieving this feat.

Stranger Brother, Steel shop owner & people in your native concerned about your job security - encounters like this would change ones perspective of life IMHO.
APV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Amazing journey of the body and mind. I think this relates to a lot of us. Kudos to you on your sheer willpower to keep yourself motivated.
Could you elaborate in the nutrition intake during the training and long ride?? I did see raisins and energy bar mentioned. However any info on that part is welcome.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 22:57   #26
BHPian

This was a great read. I thank you for that.
You express your feelings/thoughts so clearly in words. It sounds easy enough, its our thoughts after all, but its difficult to put it down in words. And that too so vividly and without any filters applied to it. I think there is a lesson in this for me. I want to reread this journey.
Now about the ride, its amazing that you rode for 700+ kms after just a 16-week program. Hats off to you! This shows the major role our mind plays in such physically challenging, prolonged, repetitive endeavors.
Queryanalyzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 09:29   #27
BHPian

Pure will power you have sir. The way you overcome the barriers, be it physical or mental is just awesome and cheers for a good narration.
VishJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 10:15   #28
BHPian

Hat's off to your accomplishment. To break the monotony of life and achieve something like yours is truly a feat in itself. This motivates me to stop myself from hanging the boots and keep on trying.

Wish you many more successful rides in the future.
I hope the knee is fine now.
Speedshift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 11:34   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@vjstanka,

This is some feat , and requires great energy and drive to achieve.

The visuals were top notch , and so was your narration.

Hope this trip serves as the theme for the next Gautham Vasudev Menon film . :-)
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 16:26   #30

Dear All,

Thanks for taking time to read through my travelogue. I am humbled and overwhelmed by many enthusiastic comments. It was like a dream come true.

If you haven't noticed, I did this feat in March 2014. All along, travelogue was waiting to present itself to fellow team-BHPians because it was written for Team-BHPians by a Team-BHPian at heart. It took 2+ years and 8 attempts to become a member. Let me take this opportunity to thank moderators for accepting my membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow;
Next time, how about a climb up Ooty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan;
And how about me being the support vehicle?
Thanks a lot. Ooty did cross my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian;
Awesome trip and congratulations on completing it.
Did you ride on the return as well?
Thanks tharian. It was one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder;
How is your leg doing now? Very well written!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzzone;
Hope your knee is doing better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha;
Wow, what a travelogue. Very well written, needs lots of patience and imagination to write this way. Hope, you have settled down with your knee pains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift;
Wish you many more successful rides in the future.
I hope the knee is fine now.
Thanks all for your concern. It become alright after few days rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost;
The kind of a journey that changes everything for the rider.
Yes Sir. It did change the way I look at life for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght;
Absolutely brilliant - the writing and the ride. Almost a Zen and the art of cycling type trip!
Hope I did not burden you with too much of philosophical thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadmara;
My big goal is to ride from Bangalore to Mangalore and your write-up is valuable inspiration.
Thanks and best wishes caadmara. Hope to see your travelogue soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings_Wit;
It was super inspiring. By December, I have resolved to at least drive till Mahabs and back. Thanks!
I am glad that you got inspired to take a ride to Mahabs. All the very best. By the way, your Schwinn looks great in blue color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086;
A decade or so ago, when I was in China, I and a friend of mine, went on a day long cycling trip. Let me share that experience with the TeamBHPians.
Thanks for sharing your cycling experience with your friend in China. I could see how it would have been to get lost and cycle in darkness for several hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat;
hats off to you bro! Kudos.
This is not just a travelogue, it's also a physiological journey and a self help guide.
I completely agree that you are creative. I don't know about your paintings but you can definitely write bro.
I was more into painting and this writing was my maiden try; completely influenced by many excellent travelogues written by fellow Team-BHPians. I am glad that you liked this painting drawn with words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram;
Amazing journey of the body and mind. I think this relates to a lot of us. Kudos to you on your sheer willpower to keep yourself motivated.
Could you elaborate in the nutrition intake during the training and long ride?? I did see raisins and energy bar mentioned. However any info on that part is welcome.
Thanks pugram. As far as nutrition is concerned, I went with usual food with less oil. Instead of junk food, I started having fruits, raisins, dates and several banana's on a daily basis.
vjstanka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks