Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Observations from bicycling on Mumbai roads

Looking to gain fitness and lose some weight while doing something more interesting than the evergreen "sair", I purchased a bicycle just before new year. I had not cycled in almost 20 years, but have driven a fair bit through length and breadth of India and often overseas as well.

I have now ridden for 1000km this year, and the biggest learning was to learn to ride with traffic again, as traffic used to be much less and very different 20 years ago . Below are some observations of cycling with traffic in Mumbai. The aim of this post is to share my experiences for the benefit of fellow cyclists and to sensitize fellow motorists on how cyclists experience the road, and what you can do to feel cyclists feel safer.

Observations:
1) As most bicycles lack rear view mirrors, cyclists are dependent on their hearing to detect traffic from the rear. Obviously, hearing is not as accurate in spacial recognition and identifying the type and speed of vehicles approaching from behind - I'm trying to hone this skill and I play a game where I try to guess what's going to pass me, how far away and when while riding.

2) Therefore, any cyclist riding on the road with headphones is courting disaster. Riding in parks, or open spaces might be a different case.

3) Many countries require motorists to maintain a minimum 5 feet distance from a bicycle when overtaking it. Many times I have been jolted by vehicles passing very close to me in fast moving traffic. It is truly nerve wracking and can lead to sudden swerving and accidents. In order of frequency the most frequent offenders are: Auto rickshaws, Ola/Uber drivers, bikes, private buses, private vehicles

4) Overall I've felt reasonably safe as long as I maintain high visibility. I ride at all times with at-least 1 flashing red tail light either on the bicycle or the helmet. Often with two tail lights. The helmet is a high-vis green with reflective tape. I never ride without a helmet except within my neighborhood.

5) 99% of motorists are courteous to bicycles and give a wide berth while overtaking or at corners. Even BEST(city) buses will patiently tail a cyclist and not try to overtake very close.

6) Conversely, the biggest problem I have with BEST buses is when they suddenly cut in front of me and brake hard when approaching a bus stop. As bicyclists often ride in the lane close to the kerb, they leave a cyclist no option but to stop completely. Swerving and trying to overtake from the right will lead a cyclist in the path of other vehicles coming from behind. Autos and private chauffers looking to pick up savaris will do this too without regard to the cyclist.

7) Another danger to watch out for is parked cars suddenly opening their door into the cyclist's face. Just yesterday I read about a cyclist in Mountain View (California) who died trying to evade the door (hit by another vehicle). As a cyclist you should give a wide berth to parked cars.

8) To start cycling is by far the best decision I have made in a long time. It is a very fulfilling experience. I have ridden 1000km so far - with my longest ride being 52km - have had great fun, explored new areas, made some new friends and lost 5kg so far in the process.

I would love to get more insights from the forum members, whether as motorists or cyclists.
jagspabla is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 11:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Observations from bicycling on Mumbai roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
Looking to gain fitness and lose some weight while doing something more interesting than the evergreen "sair", I purchased a bicycle just before new year. I had not cycled in almost 20 years, but have driven a fair bit through length and breadth of India and often overseas as well.
I would love to get more insights from the forum members, whether as motorists or cyclists.
I've had similar thoughts to take to cycling after 2 decades myself. As you've noticed in Mumbai, it's not the same Chennai that I used to bicycle in when in high school.

Here are some thoughts for you:
* Get a high quality mask with a PM 2.5 filter so that you don't end up lining your airways with soot and dust. Bicycling is good cardio but you also take in so much air that one fears that you alone will serve as a Carbon sink for mother earth! I've bought one from Amazon.in for use when motorcycling; just search for "PM 2.5 3M meded pollution mask". This comes with replaceable 3M air filters and a washable cloth-piece in which the 3M filter is to be placed. Moreover, there's a metal insert which you can bend in order to make the mask fight tightly to the bridge of your nose. No dust or exhaust gets into my nose!
* I've seen bicyclists in the USA fitting a rear-facing bright flashing LED light. It's powered by a small, replaceable battery. It alerts drivers coming up from behind you of your presence. It shakes them out of their reverie and makes them pay attention. This product used to be cheaply available online in the US...haven't checked over here.
* Why not fit Rear View Mirrors from a TVS 50 moped or something? I completely agree with you that being unable to look behind oneself on the bicycle is the biggest peril. We should definitely explore some jugaad options for this.
* See if you can avoid main roads as far as possible. That, to me, is the single best way to avoid getting hit or side-swiped by an arrogant taxi here in Chennai. I think Mumbaikars have a camaraderie amongst themselves and that isn't found in Chennai. "Rude" is an understated adjective to describe traffic over here.

Edit: Make that two flashing LED lights on the bicycle, with one more clipped in on the front. I just remembered how people drive; it's important to make motorists approaching from the opposite side aware of your presence as well.

Last edited by locusjag : 13th March 2019 at 11:46. Reason: Added edit
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 12:26   #3
BHPian

re: Observations from bicycling on Mumbai roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
* Get a high quality mask with a PM 2.5 filter so that you don't end up lining your airways with soot and dust.

* I've seen bicyclists in the USA fitting a rear-facing bright flashing LED light. It's powered by a small, replaceable battery.

* Why not fit Rear View Mirrors from a TVS 50 moped or something?

* See if you can avoid main roads as far as possible. T.
Hi Locusjag, Thanks for sharing your insights! Looks like we are both Jags unless your username is about your car :-).

* Will check out the mask. Its a good idea with so much news of air pollution.
* I usually ride with 1/2 flashing LED lights - mine are USB rechargable, and a front light if its dark. I've got a 900Lumen tight beam torch that has a strobe function that I've found a bicycle mount for, but prefer to ride with the light constantly on as the strobe can be uncomfortable for other motorists. To gain attention of oncoming motorists, I sometimes shake the flashlight in its mount to momentarily pass the the torch beam over their windscreen a couple of times. Works well.
* There are bicycle specific rear view mirrors available online. Will try out one of them in the future. You should also check them out.
* Started on side roads but high presence of speed breakers and potholes moved me to the arterial roads. I find it difficult to put in decent distance and speed on the side roads.
jagspabla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 11:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Observations from bicycling on Mumbai roads

Fine thread. I used to enjoy cycling in my school and early college days (till 1994). Then I started driving and my parents were very reluctant to let me ride on Mumbai's roads out of fear. So, I changed my focus to other sports and cycling was forgotten. Fast-forward to 2012 - I was in my mid 30s and just one day, out of the blue, I felt like getting back on a bicycle. Just for fun. Bought myself a B'Twin Rockrider and got going. Kept riding, upgraded to better bicycles and even ended up racing at amatuer level. Today, cycling is a passion for me and a part of daily schedule and probably my favourite mode of transport.

Here are my thoughts on your observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
1) As most bicycles lack rear view mirrors, cyclists are dependent on their hearing to detect traffic from the rear. Obviously, hearing is not as accurate in spacial recognition and identifying the type and speed of vehicles approaching from behind - I'm trying to hone this skill and I play a game where I try to guess what's going to pass me, how far away and when while riding.
I have, over the years, gotten used to quickly glancing over my shoulders. This helps me stay well clear of any car or bike. I don't try to squeeze in between cars - just as I would drive. Unless very necessary, I do not to venture too far to the right of the road. Stick to the left.

Quote:
2) Therefore, any cyclist riding on the road with headphones is courting disaster. Riding in parks, or open spaces might be a different case.
Absolutely. Never use headphones. They hamper your senses. Besides, when you are exercising, better to concentrate only on the prime activity.

Quote:
3) Many countries require motorists to maintain a minimum 5 feet distance from a bicycle when overtaking it. Many times I have been jolted by vehicles passing very close to me in fast moving traffic. It is truly nerve wracking and can lead to sudden swerving and accidents. In order of frequency the most frequent offenders are: Auto rickshaws, Ola/Uber drivers, bikes, private buses, private vehicles
We can't have the 5 feet rule here. We have too many cars and narrow roads. You have to look out for other vehicles at all times.

Quote:
4) Overall I've felt reasonably safe as long as I maintain high visibility. I ride at all times with at-least 1 flashing red tail light either on the bicycle or the helmet. Often with two tail lights. The helmet is a high-vis green with reflective tape. I never ride without a helmet except within my neighborhood.
Good lights are very important. Even during the day time, I use front and rear lights. It's much easier to be spotted.

Quote:
5) 99% of motorists are courteous to bicycles and give a wide berth while overtaking or at corners. Even BEST(city) buses will patiently tail a cyclist and not try to overtake very close.

6) Conversely, the biggest problem I have with BEST buses is when they suddenly cut in front of me and brake hard when approaching a bus stop. As bicyclists often ride in the lane close to the kerb, they leave a cyclist no option but to stop completely. Swerving and trying to overtake from the right will lead a cyclist in the path of other vehicles coming from behind. Autos and private chauffers looking to pick up savaris will do this too without regard to the cyclist.
Shout. Shout out loud. You may appear arrogant to others, but it's for your own safety. It's a sure way to attract attention. It has worked well for me and other cyclists. Don't abuse. Just a loud "watch" or "careful" or just "aye" is enough.

Quote:
7) Another danger to watch out for is parked cars suddenly opening their door into the cyclist's face. Just yesterday I read about a cyclist in Mountain View (California) who died trying to evade the door (hit by another vehicle). As a cyclist you should give a wide berth to parked cars.
True. Never ride too close to parked cars. I had a close call once and learnt my lesson.

Quote:
8) To start cycling is by far the best decision I have made in a long time. It is a very fulfilling experience. I have ridden 1000km so far - with my longest ride being 52km - have had great fun, explored new areas, made some new friends and lost 5kg so far in the process.
It's a fun way of getting fit and a BIG stress buster. Like you, I've driven all over this country. My next goal is to tour India on a bicycle. The Tour of Nilgiris is also on the cards in the coming years.
Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Here are my thoughts on your observations.
Excellent pointers from a seasoned cyclist like you. Was good seeing you on the roads the other day. Hope to bump into you more often although for the next month or so my cycling will be limited to Sunday mornings. Want to make the most of the roads before I switch exclusively to wahoo come monsoons.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

I used to enjoy cycling in India in 2017. Did at least 250 km in half a year. One of the woes is traffic- especially Autos, Olas and slow-moving bikes/scooters. I love the chilly morning weather in Bangalore- ideal for biking. It used to take me 40 minutes to cycle to college- used to do it on Sat mornings with low traffic. I used to liberally use the footpaths to my advantage.

For the lack of rear view mirror, I'd suggest this- https://www.amazon.in/Zefal-Z-Eye-Bi...+mirror+helmet

To all you (to be) cyclists out there:
Cycling is great exercise. When done on publuc roads, it does have some risks. As with any activity- use common sense, get safety equipment and plan your schedule to reduce risk. Avoid cycling after sunset (especially in India) as you may not be seen, roads are uneven, stray animals maybe aggressive etc.

Stay fit, stay safe and enjoy cycling!

p.s. Cycling through fresh snow is fun. Definitely try it if you have the opportunity.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th March 2019 at 10:58.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 17:36   #7
BHPian

Felt really happy to read this thread and all of your experiences.
I haven't been cycling as much as I would have liked to over the past year but would be starting soon.

I was in Mumbai for a year in 2015 and took my cycle with me. I had my one and only fall in Mumbai due to a combination of roads and traffic. This happened on the road that leads to Juhu beach at night around 10 pm (that was the only time I preferred to cycle in mumbai).
A bus forced to me move to the left which caused me to move from the main cement road onto the tiled zone. I lost balance and fell.
Thankfully no serious injuries to me or the bike, but I have developed a phobia for uneven surfaces present at the edge of the roads.

I use a reflective jacket and a reflective band (this can be tied around your ankle). I feel that this makes your more visible to traffic coming up from behind you.

Keep biking. Its a great way to keep fit!
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread jagspabla. Sharing a couple of videos on my cycle. The long one is the commute to office while the smaller one is just to meet some friends in IIT. I have got a battery operated horn which is quite effective in traffic.

blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2019, 21:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of the points have been covered; let me add a few more pointers wrt specific scenarios

Riding in the rain: This is a city that begs to be ridden in the rains. Even more better if you have the energy and time to do trips outside the city; just head in any direction and you will be in beautiful terrain that is perfect for cycling. About 70% of my cycling has been in the rains, so a few pointers

- Be ready to be splashed with street rainwater by other vehicles. Quite a few vehicles will be considerate and slow down near you; but expect a few to ignore you

- Observe the pools on the roads as much as possible; even if you are riding on the Eastern/Western Express Highway or any main roads. Sometimes the manholes are kept open to let the water out, or new potholes come up during the monsoon. If you choose to avoid all such pools, please do keep track of what's coming behind you when you try to avoid the pools. Rather I'd suggest observing the vehicles that go through the pools in front of you and you will have a view if it is safe to go through it

- If you are riding when it is raining, care for the road first, then yourself and then the bike. Visibility will be low not only for you, but others too. You will get all wet irrespective of the rainsheeter you are wearing. You will have mud all over you and your bike, but both can be cleaned later. Blinkers/lights are most important for such rides

- It goes without saying; keep your bike cleaned and tuned after every ride in the rain. Don't put it off for later. My bike has done thousands of kms in muddy roads, and the components are as good as ever

Local trains: Utilize Mumbai locals if you can for longer rides. The EMUs allow cycles to be carried in the luggage vans for an extra charge, and you can climb in/exit out from any station. I have done several 100 km+ rides riding one side and taking the EMU back to the city. Of course, if you choose to board a train post 8 am, you will have to fight it out with the local junta for space; who will be amused and curious but will help as much as possible.

For example, last July, I did this gorgeous 100km+ ride in the rain to Barvi dam (Link 1, Link 2, Link 3); we rode back to a station nearby and took the train home.

Night rides: Mumbai is a brilliant city to do night rides to South Bombay and back. If you are not confident to do it on your own; look up local cycling groups; there are night rides scheduled on a frequent basis.

Roads are empty and it's quite safe across the length and breadth of the city. Trust me, south Bombay looks gorgeous in the empty night.

As mentioned earlier, the front and rear lights are absolutely necessary. Also if you can avail one of the reflective jacket, all the more better.

Ferry rides: There are quite a few popular ride routes on the west coast towards Dongri, Gorai and Madh islands/areas. One can avail the ferries at Madh and Marve to do a roundabout route. Similarly one should be able to do the same for South Bombay - Alibag route, but I haven't tried that so no idea.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 10:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Some live updates from this Sunday's ride. Beware of the rumbler strips on EEH. I had a fall just yesterday on my return from Airoli on the rumbler strips on EEH. But proper crash off the strips. So beware of those. Fortunately my speed wasn't that high and no cars were immediately behind me - no harm done except a few bruises and very minor cuts and of course experience gained.

This is almost as bad a hazard as those horrible vertical graters that are / were on the Vashi bridge as I recall.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 11:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I had a fall just yesterday on my return from Airoli on the rumbler strips on EEH.
I'm curious - do you ride one of those thin-wheeled bicycles? I've never liked that sort and am wondering if it'd be safer to ride the so-called ATBs or MTBs with thick tyres - the assumption being that the thicker tyres make for a more shock-resistant and stable ride over strips, bumps and potholes. I only used to ride a MTB in my high school days.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm curious - do you ride one of those thin-wheeled bicycles?
Yes I do. But honestly I would continue to ride a road bike only for the reasons that make me wanna cycle. You're right a lot of recreational cyclists may prefer hybrids / MTBs for this reason but equally a lot of cyclists will want to ride road bikes only for other reasons.

To put a little more color, it was down to my own mistake as well. I was trying to ride at the left side where the strips end and leave a gap to the gutter and footpath and in doing so it skidded into the gutter and sent me flying. I was also cleated up but nothing bad happened on that account. Fact is riding on the rumbler strips is totally bone jarring which is what prompted me to try and avoid it in the first place. I wasn't trying to maintain speed by going on the left and had slowed down since its a narrow patch you go through.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 15:09   #13
BHPian

I have long wanted to buy a road bike and relive my childhood passion of cycling. Somehow the road & traffic conditions have held me back. Thanks for your thread. With a little precautions, cycling in the city can be real fun. After reading your post I am relooking my decision not to buy a cycle.
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:09   #14
BHPian

Nice thread.
I was gaining weight after my marriage. So thought of going back to cycling as an exercise option.
Purchased a road bike "FOMAS" about 2 years back.
From last one year started using a daily commute to office which covers a distance of 5 kms one way. In the process I lost 4.5 kgs.
My office starts at 6.45 in the morning so no traffic troubles for me.
My pointers will be have the helmet always, braking in good condition and mud guards installed.
And yes, as mentioned above, no ear phones ON.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Some live updates from this Sunday's ride. Beware of the rumbler strips on EEH. I had a fall just yesterday on my return from Airoli on the rumbler strips on EEH. But proper crash off the strips. So beware of those. Fortunately my speed wasn't that high and no cars were immediately behind me - no harm done except a few bruises and very minor cuts and of course experience gained.

This is almost as bad a hazard as those horrible vertical graters that are / were on the Vashi bridge as I recall.

Are you me? I too had a crash on the rumble strips in front of Godrej in Vikhroli recently. These rumble strips are atrocious and seem to be especially directed at cyclists. Even the artificial speed breakers on the service roads are very narrow and harmful to bicycles if taken at any speed. Cars and bikes can take them at speed without a worry however.
jagspabla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks