Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 10:21   #2026
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Experts I need a small advice. I am in the market to buy my first bicycle so I don't have much idea about which one to select and how. I am basically looking for something comfortable for my 6 foot frame, something that will be light on pocket as I don't intend to use it extensively.

I am looking for a basic bicycle that will be easy to ride and VFM, I can always upgrade to a better one in the coming months. I am getting a slightly used Suncross Xtreme Force for approx 10K. Should I take the plunge? How good are Suncross bikes? Never heard of them. Any other options that I should consider?
Read this before you decide. Buying a cheap bike may not give you actual pleasure you may get from biking....

http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3268
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:54   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone own a Fuji Sportif 2.1 or 2.3? Wants some user reviews. I have read the internet reviews. Also took a short test ride. Need to take a longer one to freeze.

Also anyone own other comfort/endurance road bikes?
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:06   #2028
Senior - BHPian

The trends that taking the road biking industry by storm, worth the watch:

Old 24th August 2014, 12:25   #2029
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back to cycling this week after more than 2 months. Restarted cycling on Tuesday with a ride down to Worli sea face. Was a less than 20 km ride. I quickly realised how my lack of exercise over the past several months has hurt - it was not the easiest of rides even though it was quite short. There was a brief shower, and I managed to get the rear of my T shirt splattered with muddy water.

Managed a longer ride today - went all the way to NCPA and back, including a diversion up and down Worli sea face. I must say that Marine Drive is really in a mess, and the surface quality on Worli sea face is much, much better. Did about 30 km total at an average speed of more than 22 kmph. So I do hope I manage to keep this up, get back to where I was a few months ago, and then progress at least part of the way others (not the least Ninja) have.

One question for the Gurus here. I recently bought a tyre pressure gauge for my car. I had been filling air in my cycle tyres using the two finger test for air pressure. But when I checked the pressure, I realised I had been inflating to just over 30 psi against the 60+ psi recommended on the sidewall. I raised the pressure, but ended up at just over 50 psi with rock hard tyres and a much rougher ride today than usual. So, is it that I have been under inflating all along ? Even the shop where I bought the bike had inflated it similarly. Or could the pressure gauge be incorrect? It does read correctly on my car, and is calibrated all the way up to 100+ psi. Should I go all the way to 60+ psi? I am concerned the ride will become even rougher, or the tyre may burst.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:18   #2030
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Got back to cycling this week after more than 2 months. Restarted cycling on Tuesday with a ride down to Worli sea face. Was a less than 20 km ride. I quickly realised how my lack of exercise over the past several months has hurt - it was not the easiest of rides even though it was quite short. There was a brief shower, and I managed to get the rear of my T shirt splattered with muddy water.

Managed a longer ride today - went all the way to NCPA and back, including a diversion up and down Worli sea face. I must say that Marine Drive is really in a mess, and the surface quality on Worli sea face is much, much better. Did about 30 km total at an average speed of more than 22 kmph. So I do hope I manage to keep this up, get back to where I was a few months ago, and then progress at least part of the way others (not the least Ninja) have.

One question for the Gurus here. I recently bought a tyre pressure gauge for my car. I had been filling air in my cycle tyres using the two finger test for air pressure. But when I checked the pressure, I realised I had been inflating to just over 30 psi against the 60+ psi recommended on the sidewall. I raised the pressure, but ended up at just over 50 psi with rock hard tyres and a much rougher ride today than usual. So, is it that I have been under inflating all along ? Even the shop where I bought the bike had inflated it similarly. Or could the pressure gauge be incorrect? It does read correctly on my car, and is calibrated all the way up to 100+ psi. Should I go all the way to 60+ psi? I am concerned the ride will become even rougher, or the tyre may burst.

What bike, what tyre? Road bikes tyres can go upto 160 psi. Lots of MTB tyres upto 60-80.

Just buy a pump with a built in gauge.
Old 24th August 2014, 13:19   #2031
BANNED

Guys,

I ride a RockRider 5.0, and I am looking at handlebar raising stem that is on sale online at the Decathlon website. I have found 2-3 types of stem for raising the height.

Can I know which one to buy?

Type 1

http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...m/p-249286.htm

Type 2

http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...m/p-249287.htm

The Hyderabad store doesn't have this stem in stock so they are clueless.

Please help guys.

Thanks,
Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:17   #2032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
What bike, what tyre? Road bikes tyres can go upto 160 psi. Lots of MTB tyres upto 60-80.

Just buy a pump with a built in gauge.

A Trek 7.1 FX - standard 700x35c tyres. I do have a gauge and a pump - so am unlikely to buy another one. My question was how hard will the tyres be at 60 psi?
Old 24th August 2014, 18:04   #2033
BANNED

Quote:
A Trek 7.1 FX - standard 700x35c tyres. I do have a gauge and a pump - so am unlikely to buy another one. My question was how hard will the tyres be at 60 psi?
60psi feels softish to me. 80 firmer. 100-110 and above, I would describe as rock hard. Difficult to 'estimate'.
Old 24th August 2014, 19:21   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is your manufacturer recommendation for pressure?
Old 24th August 2014, 20:04   #2035
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What is your manufacturer recommendation for pressure?
Bontrager H2 700x35c = 60-95 psi.

Found this from the tyre manufacturer chart.

http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma..._Pressures.pdf

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2014, 23:41   #2036
Senior - BHPian

I have got a deal to buy a btwin riverside3 from decathlon. I am getting a L size frame. Just wanted to check the practical feedback of this hybrid model. Hope this size is good enough for tall people
Old 25th August 2014, 15:16   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Can I know which one to buy?
Did you measure the diameter at the center of your handlebar. Both have different fits. The decathlon page on RR 5.0 does not give handlebar size. In all likelihood, yours would take the one with 25.4 size as that is the most common diameter in MTBs for handlebars.

Quote:
Hayek, hard or soft depends on how you wish to ride. How high you want to inflate will depend the max written on the sidewall of your bikes tyre. Mine takes till 75 psi. I inflate it till 70 as I am willing to sacrifice comfort (stand on pedals on potholes) for less pedal effort. I can do better average speeds at this psi. I can clearly make this out on the ride times I do when it is at 70 on the day I inflated vs when it is around 40, 2 weeks later.

As other member said, road bike riders keep it at 110, 120. Obviously, their aim is to go faster and faster.

Last edited by shipnil : 25th August 2014 at 15:17.
Old 25th August 2014, 20:33   #2038
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

As other member said, road bike riders keep it at 110, 120. Obviously, their aim is to go faster and faster.
Obviously roadies want to go faster, but that's not the reason for the high pressure.

Narrow tyres are low volume and high pressure, and wider tyres the reverse. If you rode the narrow tyres at MTB pressures, you would get pinch flats when you hit a pothole. You CAN'T ride 23-24mm tyres at 50psi. Well, except in an emergency and very carefully.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:12   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone played with your preload on your MTB suspensions? How to measure and adjust them.
I do it all the time on my RC Buggy based on race track conditions, unable to figure it out on the bike.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 26th August 2014 at 17:17.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:20   #2040
Senior - BHPian

I had to return the Firefox Target 21s I was using for the last few weeks on short notice. I was getting used to the bike and enjoying it as well when this happened.

Since I am back to cycling after many years, I don't want to give it up again.
I am looking for a similar type of bike within 15k. A new Firefox Target is 19k .
I saw a Rockrider parked in my office lot and was standing looking at it for few minutes.

Any inputs are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks