Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 22:06   #2086
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
But, can I try fitting 700C rims? Any drawbacks?
Correct me if I am wrong, but Montra Rock is an MTB, which most probably takes 26" wheels. But 700C are 28" wheels. So how would your bicycle's frame accommodate bigger wheels? Have you given a thought to that?
Old 12th October 2014, 22:43   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Montra Rock is an MTB, which most probably takes 26" wheels. But 700C are 28" wheels. So how would your bicycle's frame accommodate bigger wheels? Have you given a thought to that?
There is a slight clearance, at max 1 inch I guess. Insufficient, I agree but slight playing around with rim clearances, bearings/axle maybe, I can manage another inch.

Closer observation, and drafting a design might help, at the rear.

The front suspension can handle a bigger rim. Just, I shall have to again play about with positions of the V-Brakes in both the cases.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 12th October 2014 at 22:45.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:19   #2088
BHPian

Is there any guide for 40+, want to be fit, born-again cyclist on the products now available in India and what to look for? I would prefer gyan on the brands available in Hyderabad, around 10k budget. I was riding bicycles till I was 25 and want to start again - mainly to be fit and manage my back pain. I am 6ft, ~ 100kg. Thanks.
Old 13th October 2014, 15:29   #2089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Is there any guide for 40+, want to be fit, born-again cyclist on the products now available in India and what to look for? I would prefer gyan on the brands available in Hyderabad, around 10k budget. Thanks.
Same criteria as mentioned above, except for the age around 35 but with similar requirements. Looking for some gyan with a budget that is < 10k.
Old 13th October 2014, 16:52   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you for the wishes Ninja. Though I am aware that in randaonneuring finishing matters and the list of finishers is announced based on alphabetical order and not in the finishing order, there is still this trace of competitive spirit which makes one feel bad to finish last

Planning a few months of practice before attempting the next one.
This is a great achievement, Congrats Graaja.

I remember during my first TCC 100km, after completing about 80km, I felt like I am crazy and thought of selling my bike to the next person I see and take an auto home . I somehow managed to complete the 119km ride and crashed at home. So I think these long distance rides need a lot of mental preparation.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:18   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any guide for 40+, want to be fit, born-again cyclist on the products now available in India and what to look for? I would prefer gyan on the brands available in Hyderabad, around 10k budget. I was riding bicycles till I was 25 and want to start again - mainly to be fit and manage my back pain. I am 6ft, ~ 100kg. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Same criteria as mentioned above, except for the age around 35 but with similar requirements. Looking for some gyan with a budget that is < 10k.
If the budget is to be kept at 10k ish, the BTwin RockRider is worth a mention.

And yes, if increaseable to 18k ish, get the 2014 Montra Blues. The Montra, note is an excellent product. Worth the extra money, and can teach the tricks of the trade to a cyclist.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:06   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
If the budget is to be kept at 10k ish, the BTwin RockRider is worth a mention.

And yes, if increaseable to 18k ish, get the 2014 Montra Blues.
Thanks for the response. I hope the above brands/models are available in Hyd, (Decathlon or Pedaller's point).

May go check them out this weekend, any other inputs are also welcome.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:51   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
any other inputs are also welcome.
If you are a newbie in cycling, I suggest you avoid Peddlers Point and Yellow Jersey. It is very easy for them to sell you something that you might not really need.

I am a regular customer of The Bike Affair. The shop is run by a friendly set of cycle enthusiasts themselves (Gokul and Krish), and you don't feel pressurized to buy a bike from them. They don't stock Btwin anymore, for that you'll have to go to Decathlon only.

Disclaimer: I am not connected in anyway to any of the above stores. Just giving my feedback based on my experience with them.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:38   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, any other inputs are also welcome.
Just decide on your usage will you? MTBs can be a real pain out on the road. A hybrid can do 65-70% of the stuff a road bike can do, along with some light off roading.

And err...road bikes are err...magnifico!
Old 13th October 2014, 22:28   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Same criteria as mentioned above, except for the age around 35but with similar requirements. Looking for some gyan with a budget that is < 10k.
http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3268 first please.
Having said that RR5.0 if the interest is MTB and the budget is fixed.
If the budget is a bit flexible and you can bargain and you want a FAST sexy hybrid, LA Sovereign Cheetah. It is one gorgeous bike at that price.

If it was available last year, I would have bought it then - ideal for pottering around Chennai for odd jobs.
PS: I already have a mid-tier roadie in Chennai and a hybridized MTB in Delhi
Old 14th October 2014, 09:09   #2096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The Bike Affair is run by a friendly set of cycle enthusiasts themselves (Gokul and Krish), and you don't feel pressurized to buy a bike from them.
Thanks, will get in touch with them. Please PM me if you have any contact details.

Quote:
Just decide on your usage will you? MTBs can be a real pain out on the road. A hybrid can do 65-70% of the stuff a road bike can do, along with some light off roading.
My usage will be limited to casual/exercise riding (with aim of keeping fit) and the riding posture should not increase my back pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3268 first please.
Having said that RR5.0 if the interest is MTB and the budget is fixed.
If the budget is a bit flexible and you can bargain and you want a FAST sexy hybrid, LA Sovereign Cheetah. It is one gorgeous bike at that price.
Thanks, will go through the thread. I guess hybrid means a roadie and MTB in one. My budget is flexible, but given my casual use and the purpose, I will limit it to 10k + 50% if required.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:24   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My usage will be limited to casual/exercise riding (with aim of keeping fit) and the riding posture should not increase my back pain.
That's mythical.

I'm terribly overweight - 5'11 and 99 kg (even reached 110 briefly few months back). I have 3 busted discs (and another one not so good) in the lower back. Back pain has been the very least of my problems in the ~4.5 years and almost 11k km across a hybrid and a roadie. Lots of serious riders have a bad back.

The cycle is almost never the constraint - it can often be tweaked well to accomodate you. The challenge is often lower body flexibility or lack thereof, which isnt directly related to your bad back.

TLDR - Let that not constrain you. Don't prejudice your purchase.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th October 2014 at 20:08. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:29   #2098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, will go through the thread. I guess hybrid means a roadie and MTB in one. My budget is flexible, but given my casual use and the purpose, I will limit it to 10k + 50% if required.
You might want to consider used options too. Check BOTS website - they generally have a good no of listing in Bglr & Hyd. Also there is the extremely active group on FB - Cyclop. Again several listings down south.

Some of the listings are quite good and can be opted for, especially for a situation like yours; you might find a few sub-10k options in MTB and sub-14k options in hybrid under good brands.

Bhpians here (and cyclist friends in your cycle) can help in shortlisting too.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:44   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My budget is flexible, but given my casual use and the purpose, I will limit it to 10k + 50% if required.
Make it 18-19k. A good hybrid at that price, set it up perfectly, and Voila! The car shall be gathering dust.
A cycle can help in drastically cutting the usage of the car, and make one live frugally. Particularly for me, as I need to manage my finances well.

7k and counting....Well, I've managed to recover not only the original price of the cycle, but also gone way beyond that. The car sits at home, gaining dust.
Old 17th October 2014, 21:59   #2100
BHPian

I am looking to buy a rear mounted bike carrier for my XUV500. Which will be a good option. Where can i buy these from. Anyone aware of any dealer in Kochi who sell these?
I saw a product at the link http://youlovebikes.com/Car_Bike_Racks_India.html
Can anyone please give me a feedback on this product

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed