Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2014, 10:52   #2101
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I need some help;
I bought Mybike in June this year and now 4 months and 600 kms later, I already feel the urge to upgrade to something better. I have zeroed down on Montra Rock 1 and Rockrider 5.1. Both are comparable and in same price range. Which one of these is recommended?

Or should I just spend another 3/4 months with the present ride and plan for a Rs. 20k plus upgrade by Feb 2015?
Old 18th October 2014, 11:00   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I need some help;
I bought Mybike in June this year and now 4 months and 600 kms later, I already feel the urge to upgrade to something better. I have zeroed down on Montra Rock 1 and Rockrider 5.1. Both are comparable and in same price range. Which one of these is recommended?

Or should I just spend another 3/4 months with the present ride and plan for a Rs. 20k plus upgrade by Feb 2015?
That's hardly much of an upgrade. Its a waste of time and loss of resale. Ride more, and upgrade to a 30k level bike to have a really effective / long lasting upgrade. You're fooling yourself with this mini upgrade godbole saab!

and first, get to 300-400km/month sustained, before you upgrade! Then you'll realize the value of it as well.
Old 18th October 2014, 11:18   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's hardly much of an upgrade.
Thank you really!

with your suggestion. I have been able to do max of 16 km in 55 mins with this bike. But yes, i should add more kms per month which should happen in winters with less travel scheduled.

Any suggestions for winter-proofing neck and ears?
Old 18th October 2014, 13:55   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Thank you really!

with your suggestion. I have been able to do max of 16 km in 55 mins with this bike. But yes, i should add more kms per month which should happen in winters with less travel scheduled.

Any suggestions for winter-proofing neck and ears?
Don't over think it. The standard is htfu (yes, Google it up).

You should just add layers (i prefer base layers it dry fit jerseys which let the most breathe) so that you can take a layer off later in the day.

For now, concentrate on hitting 30 / 50 km Comfortably. Don't bother with woollen or so right now. Just layer.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:45   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Is Merida up to scratch? I read some negative reviews and that Delhi dealerships were shutting down. I had gone to check the Montra Rock range as I'm a beginner in cycling. The guy showed me the Merida Matt 20MD with a price tag of 32+k and said he is selling them for 28k. I googled and found that its worth 28k anyways.

But the bike was impressive, discs on both wheels (not that i need them) plus lockable suspension etc. And since the Rock 2.1 was itself close to 20k, I was wondering if I should spend the additional 8k to get the Merida with lifetime warranty though it looks awfully complicated for now. Saves me an upgrade and I can keep it for 5yrs or so like I do with my cars.

The whole buying process for anything on wheels really drives me crazy. So 2 questions really where I need help:
1. Is there any reason to stick to entry level bikes only cause you are a beginner? Or does it make sense to get a more professional bike that you can afford right away?
2. My goal is to do Ladakh on the bike in summer of 2016. Does it make more sense to begin with a Rock 2.1 (or the likes) or hybrids like Schwinn Sporterra and then upgrade to a Trek or Cannondale MTB the year I'm going to actually do the trip?

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 19:40. Reason: Typos fixed.
Old 21st October 2014, 21:24   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
1. Is there any reason to stick to entry level bikes only cause you are a beginner? Or does it make sense to get a more professional bike that you can afford right away?
I would say go higher if you can afford it and if you really need it. A 7-10K difference in price gives a lot in cycles. That may not get you a truly professional one but you will be able to keep up.

Quote:
2. My goal is to do Ladakh on the bike in summer of 2016. Does it make more sense to begin with a Rock 2.1 (or the likes) or hybrids like Schwinn Sporterra and then upgrade to a Trek or Cannondale MTB the year I'm going to actually do the trip?
I am not sure of the road conditions. Assuming roads in Ladakh are mix of bad to non-existent, I recommend a MTB for the trip. Hybrids also will work with some all terrain tires. As far as cycles go, its all in the components. Not discounting the frames, but you will immediately see difference on higher groupsets. See attached chart for Shimano & SRAM groupset. MTBs on right:
The Bicycles thread-shimano-groupset.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 19:40. Reason: Quotes inserted in-line. BOLD removed.
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:34   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My feedback in bold:
So the names under the columns are components provided in the model by these manufacturer right? And as we go along towards the bottom, they get better in each category?

Going back to my first question for feedback on Merida, you suggest i run the configuration by this chart and decide? So the Merida Matts 20 MD seems to be using Shimano Acera-x derailleur at the rear and seems to be an entry level MTB.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 22nd October 2014 at 10:41.
Old 24th October 2014, 02:44   #2108
BHPian

It finally took a Ktm RC390 to make me realise that just owning a track focussed bike ain't enough, you gotta be fit enough to ride one. Can't stay away from wheels and need to lose the extra flab, what do you do? Switch to pedal power, and that's exactly what I did. The cycling bug did bite me about 7 years back and I did buy a Raleigh but couldn't really do justice to it. So as it lies in a not so rideable state with a friend, I started my new chapter in bicycling. Hopefully this time I'll do justice do it. Here's my 'Hero'

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1414098793.851579.jpg

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1414098822.852448.jpg
Old 24th October 2014, 08:39   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is Merida up to scratch? I read some negative reviews and that Delhi dealerships were shutting down. I had gone to check the Montra Rock range as i'm a beginer in cycling. The guy showed me the Merida Matt 20MD with a price tag of 32+k and said he is selling them for 28k. I googled and found that its worth 28k anyways.

But the bike was impressive, discs on both wheels (not that i need them) plus lockable suspension etc. And since the Rock 2.1 was itself close to 20k, i was wondering if i should spend the additional 8k to get the Merida with lifetime warranty though it looks awfully complicated for now. Saves me an upgrade and i can keep it for 5yrs or so like i do with my cars.

The whole buying process for anything on wheels really drives me crazy. So 2 questions really where i need help:
1. Is there any reason to stick to entry level bikes only cause you are a beginer? Or does it make sense to get a more professional bike that you can afford right away?
2. My goal is to do ladakh on the bike in summer of 2016. Does it make more sense to begin with a Rock 2.1 (or the likes) or hybrids like Schwinn Sporterra and then upgrade to a trek or cannondale MTB the year i'm going to actually do the trip?

Thanks!
1. Buy the best you can almost not afford.
2. But the good stuff right away, if you will really do Ladakh. I bought my Merida 20V assuming that I'll soon do Ladakh but haven't gotten a chance in five years now. In retrospect, I was better off buying a roadie

Personally between Merida and BTwin, if but the Merida, but that's just me. For those with hard budget constraints, btwin bikes offer excellent value.

My Merida saw enough advise but is doing just fine with timely tlc.

Quote:
My feedback in bold:
Surprised at the chart, agree on your message though.

I always thought that Apex was tiagra level or just a wee bit better, definitely not Claris level. Let me dig up something later in the day.

Here's one for starters, folks comparing Apex with 105.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ra-289515.html

Many folks over on Bikeszone bought Apex with similar comparisons back in 2011 and 2012, if I recall correctly.
Old 24th October 2014, 08:48   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpriyesh View Post
I am looking to buy a rear mounted bike carrier for my XUV500. Which will be a good option. Where can i buy these from. Anyone aware of any dealer in Kochi who sell these?
I saw a product at the link http://youlovebikes.com/Car_Bike_Racks_India.html
Can anyone please give me a feedback on this product

Thanks in advance
Try Sree Krishna Cycles@ cochin. They are in Fb too ( contact Sanjay), they might be able to help.

Quote:
Is Merida up to scratch? I read some negative reviews and that Delhi dealerships were shutting down. I had gone to check the Montra Rock range as i'm a beginer in cycling. The guy showed me the Merida Matt 20MD with a price tag of 32+k and said he is selling them for 28k. I googled and found that its worth 28k anyways.
Thanks!
A friend bought this though I am not sure of the model. Will check and update
Old 24th October 2014, 22:49   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided to go with Marin San Rafael DS 1 after riding almost half a dozen bikes. It would cost me somewhere around 25K's. Being a newbie, wont be spending much on accessories apart from essentials.
The Bicycles thread-san_rafael_ds1_1152_648_80_s.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 19:46. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 24th October 2014, 23:25   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always thought that Apex was tiagra level or just a wee bit better, definitely not Claris level. Let me dig up something later in the day.
I would be surprised if the Apex be compared with 105. The Rival should be closer. And I believe Rival came sometime in 2009, so its not new either. I am not sure though.
Old 25th October 2014, 11:01   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be surprised if the Apex be compared with 105. The Rival should be closer. And I believe Rival came sometime in 2009, so its not new either. I am not sure though.
Here's one discussion on BZ that I recall:
http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=28&t=7663

I checked with Vandit around the time, and his feedback was that it was closer to 105 (was 10 speed at that time when Tiagra was 9 speed) and offered a good range for climbing.

Everyone has different views but no one equates it with Claris: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ns-314271.html

Equating Claris with Apex? I'd be really surprised.

Let's go to the reseller websites such as BikesDirect.
Where is Apex classified? Next to 105
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm#p7
Old 25th October 2014, 11:22   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
1. Buy the best you can almost not afford.
2. But the good stuff right away, if you will really do Ladakh. I bought my Merida 20V assuming that I'll soon do Ladakh but haven't gotten a chance in five years now. In retrospect, I was better off buying a roadie
That is why I did not follow this much advocated maxim of this thread. The point 2 itself contradicts point 1.

When one starts on biking he's unsure of what type of or how much he'd be riding. So if he spends a large sum he'd be forcefully committed to that bike.

I started small with the notorious ACT110, 10 months back. Quickly realized hybrid is not my thing. So when the components wear out, I'd be moving up to a roadbike. With this approach the damages are not going to be much.
Old 25th October 2014, 12:09   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
That is why I did not follow this much advocated maxim of this thread. The point 2 itself contradicts point 1.

When one starts on biking he's unsure of what type of or how much he'd be riding. So if he spends a large sum he'd be forcefully committed to that bike.

I started small with the notorious ACT110, 10 months back. Quickly realized hybrid is not my thing. So when the components wear out, I'd be moving up to a roadbike. With this approach the damages are not going to be much.
Good point. There are two levels of issues:
a. Long term commitment
b. Type of cycling

A. If there are commitment issues, the better approach is to reach out to the rider community, borrow a bike for a weekend from friends / relatives or from hiring shops like Pro Bikers.

B. In my case, I was outright in favor of a hybrid but the Ladakh bug was on my head. Last minute advise from the wife and another friend nailed it for the MTB in spite of my misgivings / research. It took about a month to make it clear that I was neither getting fitness nor a good enough workout from offroad rides (but I'd be assured of half a dozen punctures), and that my desire to ride to Ladakh was unlikely to happen soon.

That again can be solved by discussing with ardent cyclists and taking a test ride and some internet research.

But having said that, point 1 talks about something different - its a bit more subtle.

The challenge is often that people buy either unreliable crap (some of the Indian mfrs' bikes) or the cheapest reliable bike (RR5). That's the cycling equivalent of buying a 7-8k android mobile instead of a midrange or a flagship.

Sure there are people who are happy with their Galaxy Y, but then, IMHO unless you bought a nicer quadcore with good internal memory (16 gb) or decent RAM (1GB) or decent screen (720p) - you wouldn't really enjoy it too much. I could technically do everything on a GY but with the S3, its much nicer. In cycling, if people bought some full-sus piece of crap sofa (or one of the equally bad indian cycles or this), it completely kills the joy of cycling. IMHO the ACT110 is the very entry level of the segment which is quality enough (except the seat post issue) for someone to use it over a few years. But like training wheels you outgrow it soon enough, as you are alluding.

Instead with adequate research and good friends, one is better served by buying a nicer bike upfront. My cousin borrowed my hybrid MTB for three months, then went ahead and bought a GT-GTR4 series roadie as his first bike. Three years out, he's loved it. He's extremely happy with the GT GTR4. That's the best example of what I intend.

Further, this point 1 alludes to the fact that cycle makers have a set of standard frames for entry level bikes, with higher variants coming with better groupsets and more bells / whistles (e.g remote lockout for the front shocks). A little more gets you often a lot more smoothness till you reach the upper echelons and gravity fades (Ultegra / SRAM Red / Deore etc).

Coming back to my own case, I realized later on, that buying the Merida 40V (vs the 20V in my case) for 1100 bucks more would've been much nicer than settling for the 20V. Its all about the nuances - the details, the gear display window quality, the smoothness , ease of shifting under load etc

Similarly with the roadie. This time (2012) I went with the latest 10 speed Tiagra, which was claimed to be equivalent in performance to old model 105, something which i did not want to spend up to. However, it is still much better than the Sora or the 2200/2300 stuff (what is now Claris). I've never regretted my bike upgrade even though it practically doubled the bike's price (from 21k to 40k).

So yes, if someone wants to "test the waters" - feel free, except the loss in resale is unnecessary and can be solved with good friends, trust, lots of research and seeking out experienced riders.

Most Viewed