Team-BHP - The Bicycles thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Bicycles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/)
-   -   The Bicycles thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicycles/20785-bicycles-thread-15.html)

I can still recall my childhood days when I was learning to do the pedalling on a raleigh (hope its spelt right) cycle around my highschool football ground. Rs.1000/- for a decent cycle was a good investment (that was a higher monthly salary for many people). I miss those days (pre 1980s) when I could find 100s of cycles parked infront of Banks, Schools, Colleges and many other public places. There was never an issue of parking ! It was a pleasure to see my respected teachers coming on a well-cleaned cycle with their few books and lunch box on the carrier. Maruti 800 replaced majority of those cycles by the time I was in my 10th grade.

Now its a time for advanced cycles aka bikes ! Even if I sleep on a double bed made out of 1000 rupee currency notes, I would still feel a pinch to shell out over 5k for a cycle. But considering the fuel costs, traffic woes and unhealthy life routines, its worth a consideration. I am still hunting for my ride !

hey guys iam looking for a cycle (4k max budget) for mild usage in traffic, can you suggest some brands as well as dealers in bangalore.

thanks

May be BSA, Hercules. They have good ones within 4.5K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms001 (Post 893640)
hey guys iam looking for a cycle (4k max budget) for mild usage in traffic, can you suggest some brands as well as dealers in bangalore.

thanks

Hey give Metro Bangalore a check. On the 1st of this Month, at Metro Hyderabad, I chanced upon an "Active" Brand "Hurricane" 26" cycle that I picked up for my Son. It came with an Aluminum Frame, Disk brakes on both wheels, 21 gears - "Shimano" make. While this cycle normally retails @ around 13,500 Rs. with a regular Metro price of Rs.9,999/- IIRC, I got it for Rs. 5,199/- incl. VAT during their warehouse sale which ended on the 2nd July, in Hyderabad. Check if Metro Bangalore has such a thing going on now.

It comes with Dual suspension too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by opendro (Post 893752)
May be BSA, Hercules. They have good ones within 4.5K.

can you give an idea where can i find a dealer south bangalore kormagala hsr etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by suren181 (Post 893790)
Hey give Metro Bangalore a check. On the 1st of this Month, at Metro Hyderabad, I chanced upon an "Active" Brand "Hurricane" 26" cycle that I picked up for my Son. It came with an Aluminum Frame, Disk brakes on both wheels, 21 gears - "Shimano" make. While this cycle normally retails @ around 13,500 Rs. with a regular Metro price of Rs.9,999/- IIRC, I got it for Rs. 5,199/- incl. VAT during their weekend sale which ended on the 2nd July. Check if Metro Bangalore has such a thing going on now.

It comes with Dual suspension too.

dont we need to have a memebership for metro?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms001 (Post 893804)
can you give an idea where can i find a dealer south bangalore kormagala hsr etc..

I actually bought from Commercial Street (narrow parallel road before commercial street is full of cycle shops). I heard that there is one just before the Jayadeva flyover when you are coming from HSR, on the right side. There you can get BSA 18 gears with simple shock absorbers for 4.5K (as I got the info from my friend).

Quote:

Originally Posted by opendro (Post 894708)
I actually bought from Commercial Street (narrow parallel road before commercial street is full of cycle shops). I heard that there is one just before the Jayadeva flyover when you are coming from HSR, on the right side. There you can get BSA 18 gears with simple shock absorbers for 4.5K (as I got the info from my friend).

thanks buddy will check it out, which model did you buy and for how much?

went to dispencery road(parallel to commercial) today a colleague wanted to buy a cycle
we bought a hero cycle with 18 gears and shocks at front and rear for 5000rs also got a lock and hand pump,

thanks for the directions

i have never owned a bicycle in my life but now I'm thinking of buying one.

Can somebody tell me how practical and safe is it to use a bicycle in Bangalore traffic. I've stopped driving 2 wheelers 3 years ago and I'm kinda scared to ride one these days. On weekends i travel about 5 kms to go to my gym and this is when i wanted to use a bicycle.

thanks in advance for any advise

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 896615)
i have never owned a bicycle in my life but now I'm thinking of buying one.

Can somebody tell me how practical and safe is it to use a bicycle in Bangalore traffic. I've stopped driving 2 wheelers 3 years ago and I'm kinda scared to ride one these days. On weekends i travel about 5 kms to go to my gym and this is when i wanted to use a bicycle.

thanks in advance for any advise

BikesZone - Cycling :: Index should help for real life feedback. I personally have been riding 7kms one way to work for about 2 weeks now - and have not found it more or less dangerous than on the motorbike. Its way quicker than a car overall, and perhaps 10-15% slower than on the bike - given the optimizations possible at lights, etc.

My commute includes part of the Sarjapura road ORR stretch, and then Koramangala traffic. I ride a white/black Merida in case someone comes across someone who isn't getting out of your way, one of these days ;)

The only issue I find with cycling to office is that it becomes a little unsafe especially with the laptop on your back. A friend had started cycling to office with the laptop in a backpack. One day he got a lil late and 2 guys on a bike hit him from behind. by the time my friend could recover, they had vanished with his laptop ,leaving him with a broken hand and a bloody head.

After much thought and delibaration, I have booked the Firefox Road Pro 2200. It seems to be a step in the right direction. The investment is significant, but perhaps well worth it.

Details: Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Road Fox

Hope to get delivery in another 10-15 days. The dealer accepted 1k as booking amount. He is throwing in a water bottle, a hand-pump, a lock, basic toolkit, gel seat-cover complimentary with the bike. He promises to service the bike free of cost for its lifetime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlustindia (Post 897581)
After much thought and delibaration, I have booked the Firefox Road Pro 2200. It seems to be a step in the right direction. The investment is significant, but perhaps well worth it.

Details: Firefox Bikes - join the trail! » Road Fox

Hope to get delivery in another 10-15 days. The dealer accepted 1k as booking amount. He is throwing in a water bottle, a hand-pump, a lock, basic toolkit, gel seat-cover complimentary with the bike. He promises to service the bike free of cost for its lifetime.

Congrats bro. Whats the damage to the pocket?

edit: just saw the price on the site -23k :O whoa thats one biggg investment man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 897654)
Congrats bro. Whats the damage to the pocket?

edit: just saw the price on the site -23k :O whoa thats one biggg investment man.

23700 is the price listed on the website which is excluding octroi and taxes. The bike was tagged with a price of 26500 in the showroom. However, he has agreed to give it away at 25500. Plus some complimentary stuff as I mentioned in my earlier email.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenx (Post 896718)
BikesZone - Cycling :: Index should help for real life feedback. I personally have been riding 7kms one way to work for about 2 weeks now - and have not found it more or less dangerous than on the motorbike. Its way quicker than a car overall, and perhaps 10-15% slower than on the bike - given the optimizations possible at lights, etc.

My commute includes part of the Sarjapura road ORR stretch, and then Koramangala traffic. I ride a white/black Merida in case someone comes across someone who isn't getting out of your way, one of these days ;)

@zenx, thanks for the link and the piece of advice that i have now decided to purchase a bike. I would want to start small, I've budgeted about 5-7k and if i really see myself cycling more I'll upgrade after a year or so and buy one of the fancy bikes - Trek seems to be a popular choice but for now it appears Hero Thuder MTB is the bike i should go far.

Does anyone a have a comment or feedback on my choice of bike? Also please let me know the shops that you can recoomend based on your experince. I've few names from the bikezone forum but i wanted to check here aswell.