Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2015, 13:08   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Thanks a ton for the expert inputs fintail, ninjatalli. Do keep them coming!

fintail, the bsahercules site is not opening for some reason. Getting error messages.

Is the Photon the new age SLR of today? Does it have the thinnest Indian made wheel/tyre combo in 26" ? As thin as the BSA Mach, Hero Hawk racers?

So yesterday, charged up by the discussion here, I left office early, reached home, found that my son had gone to the movies with his friends. Managed to find the keys to the ring lock as well as the chain padlock finally, took out the cycle. Loosened the valve stem check nuts on both flat tyres, and wheeled it across MG Road to a small cycle shop at the corner where you turn right for Vincents (ahead of the meat/fish market).

By God's mercies, the tubes and valves were ok. Slowly pushed more and more stuff on to him - fork adjusted/tightened, handle stem tightened, both wheels centered and adjusted, all bolts tightened, brakes adjusted front and rear, gears checked, shifting ok, so asked him not to fiddle with them (asked him cost of servicing - 350 bucks), got seat post raised for my height, however it could not be raised enough to get full extension of my legs as its too short so will look around for a longer one soon, got both mudguards tightened and centered, some nuts had fallen off from the rear one, got those replaced, got the seat angled slightly down up front as a trial ride indicated unacceptable trauma to tender parts, now comfortable. Asked him to oil all moving parts, clean the chain and rear gear cluster etc. (lots of crud there) but he said first wash the bike thoroughly otherwise no sense in oiling.

Rode back home feeling great, and gave her a couple of buckets of water wash to get most of the garage crud away .....

The Bicycles thread-201505150001.jpeg

Things to do. Get a longer seat post. Need to get a reflector for the rear mudguard (my friend has promised me a fancy blinking red light he's not using). He's also got an older inexpensive headlight for the handle (since we plan to ride in the evenings) as he now has a really powerful rechargeable headlight-cum-strobe (that costs as much as my cycle .....). Also need to get my cycle pump repaired (diaphragm probably needs replacement, tubing too). Would also be great to get the bull horn extensions on my handle taped up with the tape cyclists use (gel padding?). We tried adjusting their position but the allen bolts are jammed solid (12 years ....) so he just used a hammer and knocked one into the same position as the other. Trying to open them (even after leaving oil etc.) he said they would break. Either that or cut the bolts and remove them and replace with a new set. Planning to keep the handle stock for now. The frame really seems to be too small to actually be worth trying to convert into a drop bar roadie. Just the tyres (and maybe rims, if needed) some time later after I have used this set for at least a month or more and get used to it (so that I can actually appreciate the difference). Also need a new side stand. This one is too vertical, and does not lock (this is a new thing for me) and the cycle moves forward with it down and in position (it even fell once while I was washing her).

Gear - get a pair of Btwin blue or red pad (crotch) cycling tights. And a helmet.

Delicate question - do cyclists wear undies inside the tights or is it commando season? Either way, plan to get modesty over shorts to wear over the tights as well.

Ninjatalli are you currently in Pune too (your location shows Chicago)? My son too wants a bike, so I'll probably get him a Rockrider 5.0 as you've suggested. However, it does not show on the Decathlon website (there is one for girls though). It has grip shifts just like mine, and I have not checked, but is the frame steel or alloy? How many gears? Looks like a nice solid bike. Would be neat cycling with my son if he too gets interested. He's just finished his 12th boards. For me, I plan to stick to my Hercules, ride it as suggested by fintail, and then upgrade. To what, its pretty early to decide. My cyclist friend took a spin on her yesterday and actually liked it. We carried both bikes in each hand and I don't think mine would be more than 3 kilos heavier than his 40K high end machine (yes I know - the gear shifting mechanism, Shimano Acera, disc brakes, suspension, alloy frame, fork, wheels, etc. etc.) Cycling starts from today evening. May join a group for a ride tomorrow morning as well (starting from Kalyaninagar apparently - either of you going to be there?).

That's his bike with mine .... (sorry for low light conditions in my compound)

The Bicycles thread-201505150002.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-201505150003.jpeg

Last edited by ebonho : 16th May 2015 at 13:13.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:27   #2522
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread from the early days of BikeZone .....

Similar discussion going on there.

http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39
Old 16th May 2015, 16:32   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

fintail, the bsahercules site is not opening for some reason. Getting error messages.

Is the Photon the new age SLR of today? Does it have the thinnest Indian made wheel/tyre combo in 26" ? As thin as the BSA Mach, Hero Hawk racers?
Pretty thin yeah. I guess the BSA Mach would have a similar tire - if not thinner. Not very sure.

Quote:
So yesterday, charged up by the discussion here, I left office early, reached home, found that my son had gone to the movies with his friends.
We teens are in the habit of going out for the movies!

Quote:
By God's mercies, the tubes and valves were ok. =
Great! But; still it'll be nice if you get new ones. Safety factor.

I've seen a tire burst even on a cycle. It was an old Avon. Classic case of very old tires + over inflation.

So; in this summer heat; just be careful. You're running older tires + the risk of tires bursting is pretty high anyway.

Cycle tire bursts are a rare occurance anyway. Just be a tad careful.
Quote:
Delicate question - do cyclists wear undies inside the tights or is it commando season? Either way, plan to get modesty over shorts to wear over the tights as well.
Ummm.....They wear undies inside the tights. Atleast I do. While the idea of cycling without underwear may seem strange first, most serious cyclists "go commando" while in the saddle. This is to help avoid the rubbing and irritation that can come from underwear seams.

Quote:

Ninjatalli are you currently in Pune too (your location shows Chicago)?
Niranjan has relocated to Chicago.

Quote:
May join a group for a ride tomorrow morning as well (starting from Kalyaninagar apparently - either of you going to be there?).
Nope.

BTW- considering your son's age; has he not asked for a bike yet?

A Rockrider is too rudimentary, IMO. I'd say; a GT Agressor or something.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 16th May 2015 at 16:34.
Old 16th May 2015, 16:51   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
BTW- considering your son's age; has he not asked for a bike yet?

A Rockrider is too rudimentary, IMO. I'd say; a GT Agressor or something.
Coincidentally he has, just yesterday. When he saw me come home with the now fresh ready to ride Top Gear which he had left to rot in the garage. I told him that he will henceforth stay away from my cycle and get himself his own.

He wants to do some hill riding with some group. Just came back from Decathlon. Picked up shorts (tights - the red pad ones), a couple of dri fit jerseys, and cycling sunglasses. Saw the Btwin bikes there. There was a nice off road rigid tail for 13K+. Saw the 10-11K Rock Rider 5.0 as well. Those are steel frames. Very rudimentary grip shift Shimanos (nothing like my top end MegaRange casette and shifters).

P.S. From the thread link posted above I now recall that my Hercules in current form weighs about 16 kilos. The Bergamont weighs about 14+. Which means the difference between a full alloy and full steel bike is under 2 kilos. Conside 3-3.5 if you take in the fact that the Bergamont has telescopic fork suspension and disc brakes, which weigh more than rigid forks and caliper rim brakes.

Last edited by ebonho : 16th May 2015 at 17:04.
Old 17th May 2015, 00:37   #2525
BHPian

I wonder if this is the right thread for posting this but I could not find any valid thread or relevant information when I search for electric bicycle conversion kits in bangalore.
Moderators , Please move this to an appropriate thread otherwise.

It made sense for me if I get an electric assist while I pedal to work. So the range is not too much of a worry as l am anyway pedalling. I have a Hercules Act 110 on which I am trying to fit an electric conversion kit. But could not find any reliable information on
1) Whether it can be done ?
2) If so then who/where in bangalore can get I get it done ?
3) Pros/Cons ?

Saw this link where they sell the kit :
http://trade.indiamart.com/search.mp...le+e+bike+kits

Searches give me Flexitron, SIKCO etc but no-one seems to have done it and using it :(

Ofcourse , I can buy a separate ebike or a e-scooter but do not want to maintain two more wheels if this is feasible.
Old 17th May 2015, 09:48   #2526
Distinguished - BHPian

Went cycling after a month and a half this morning. Despite the intense humidity, the ride was quite nice. Most of Marine Drive has been resurfaced, with Tarmac - which makes it a real pleasure to ride on. Worli Sea Face was great as well. The lack of exercise over the past month has taken its toll - my average speed was down to 22.5 kph and I was pooped when I completed by 35 km ride. Makes me feel bad that I failed to ride more regularly.
Old 17th May 2015, 11:35   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post

It made sense for me if I get an electric assist while I pedal to work. So the range is not too much of a worry as l am anyway pedalling. I have a Hercules Act 110 on which I am trying to fit an electric conversion kit. But could not find any reliable information on
1) Whether it can be done ?
2) If so then who/where in bangalore can get I get it done ?
3) Pros/Cons ?
If your main goal is only to be assisted by the electric motor for few mins - around 10-15mins approx(climbing a bridge or a steep slope) , you can get a portable drill machine and mount it on the top of the wheel and driving the wheel with another chain and sprocket. I saw this on the gadget show and tough DIY, it will be a lot cheaper than a full fledged electric bike. The portable drill machine will have a replaceable battery and you could carry around a spare. And for your return journey you could charge it in the office.

If you want a 100% electric bike, you'll need to carry quite a big battery which might not be to your liking. Even I had considered tinkering in such a way, but frankly for me it did not make much sense since I just wanted to try it out rather than actually use the assist everyday.
Old 17th May 2015, 16:06   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Fixed the brakes yesterday! No squeaking, no groaning. Tightened the brake cables as well since they were somewhat loose.
I am still trying to crack the gear issues. Can you recommend any videos that helped you fix your gears?

Can anyone tell me a good lubricant and degreaser for MTB's?
A sample
http://www.artscyclery.com/learningc...railleurs.html

All are different but you will get the basic idea of adjustment. After that, it will take 2-3 adjustments.

Adjusting front one is very easy, rear requires precision.
Try the link above if it helps.
Old 18th May 2015, 12:14   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Two days of cycling done. 20 kms on the first day, 25 kms on the second.

Got a longer seat post, and raise the seat to where I can just about touch down on tip toes. The leg is still not getting full extension, but much more and better than before.

The cable of the front brake had frayed. Got both cables replaced.

A nice set of new resin pedals as well.

Lots of trial and error on the handle. Put the end bars on the inside of the brake brackets, facing inwards (each other). Bad idea.

Replaced the short OE (thick grips) with wide (but very thin) grips. Again a bad idea. The grips are too thin, hurt the palms. Though at least they are wide. Please suggest where I can get thicker/softer grips from.

Now my gears which were working perfectly before have become very tight on the right side (for rear derailleur). Wonder why. Maybe he over tightened the allen bolt on the shifter cassete while loosening and taking it off to get the bull bars inside. Or the top and bottom parts are misaligned while doing the same. I cannot think of a another reason.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th May 2015 at 12:23.
Old 18th May 2015, 12:26   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two days of cycling done. 20 kms on the first day, 25 kms on the second.
Replaced the short OE (thick grips) with wide (but very thin) grips. Again a bad idea. The grips are too thin, hurt the palms. Though at least they are wide. Please suggest where I can get thicker/softer grips from.

Now my gears which were working perfectly before have become very tight on the right side (for rear derailleur). Wonder why. Maybe he over tightened the allen bolt on the shifter cassete while loosening and taking it off to get the bull bars inside. Or the top and bottom parts are misaligned while doing the same. I cannot think of a another reason.
Good going!

Similar issue here. All of a sudden; my Bianchi's FD has failed.

Wonder how it happened. Another DIY Tuneup will sort things out I guess.

A friend has my set of allen keys. Will have to force him to return 'em I guess. And then tune the bike.

And then buy a set of panniers. Upgrade the tires.....

Life goes on; no?
Old 18th May 2015, 12:35   #2531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good going!

Similar issue here. All of a sudden; my Bianchi's FD has failed.

Wonder how it happened. Another DIY Tuneup will sort things out I guess.

A friend has my set of allen keys. Will have to force him to return 'em I guess. And then tune the bike.

And then buy a set of panniers. Upgrade the tires.....

Life goes on; no?
Very basic question.

Are the very thin margins in repairs/servicing/modification etc. the reason why the "top mechanics" (I call them fitters ..... which is what they are, even if it hurts their ego) have a much worse attitude than any motorcycle mechanic.

I mean the kind of airs, would be more at home on someone tuning Lance Armstrong's bikes. Most are busy all day assembling new cycles, which is where I guess the money is.

So are small cycle service shops (oiling, tightening, fitting, adjusting, air in tyres, part replacements/swaps, wheel truing, etc.) of old a thing of the past or I've been looking in the wrong places.

Obviously please do not suggest the Giant/Trek type 500-750 bucks servicing type shops. They would not touch my bike. That's assuming of course that I would touch them first, which I would not.

Need a decent easy to work with old school mechanic with experience on Indian bikes, and a knack for gears and basic mods.
Old 18th May 2015, 12:45   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very basic question.

Are the very thin margins in repairs/servicing/modification etc. the reason why the "top mechanics" (I call them fitters ..... which is what they are, even if it hurts their ego) have a much worse attitude than any motorcycle mechanic.

I mean the kind of airs, would be more at home on someone tuning Lance Armstrong's bikes. Most are busy all day assembling new cycles, which is where I guess the money is.
Need a decent easy to work with old school mechanic with experience on Indian bikes, and a knack for gears and basic mods.
Yeah - I understand.

Search about Phadke Haud. And of course - there was this old school mech somewhere near Goodluck Chowk - FC Road.

And of course - There was this mech in Pashan I had mentioned in one of my previous posts. But that'd be too far for you I guess.

My recommendation : Go to Surinder Cycles; Karve road. They service any type of cycle; do it well. Trust me- I know he deals in high end Bianchi's ; but he also deals with the lower end BSA's. Such as the BSA Mach.

Thus; they are expert's at servicing 'em BSA's and Herculeses as well.

Highly recommended.

And I've been going to him for umm.....A decade or thereabouts. For the following bikes :

2004 : 2003 BSA.

2009 : La Soverign Ozone . 26".
2010 : BSA Mach. Scrapped.

2012 : Montra Rock - I. MTB.

2015 : 2014 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Coast2Coast Reparto Course. Celeste. 52cm. 700C x 23.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 18th May 2015 at 12:51.
Old 18th May 2015, 12:52   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah - I understand.

Search about Phadke Haud. And of course - there was this old school mech somewhere near Goodluck Chowk - FC Road.

And of course - There was this mech in Pashan I had mentioned in one of my previous posts. But that'd be too far for you I guess.

My recommendation : Go to Surinder Cycles; Karve road. They service any type of cycle; do it well. Trust me- I know he deals in high end Bianchi's ; but he also deals with the lower end BSA's. Such as the BSA Mach.

Thus; they are expert's at servicing 'em BSA's and Herculeses as well.

Highly recommended.
The prima donna fitter I am talking about was at Phadke Haud only. Was there most of last afternoon.

Will go there again Tuesday and smash the 16 kilo MTB on his thick head if he does not get my rear gear shifts back to where they were.

Deccan, Karve Road, Pashan are too far for a ready mechanic for your cycle. I live on East Street in Camp, so Phadke Haud is like the outer rim of my acceptable circle.

I spoke to Surender on the phone. Too much gyaan and attitude about how much money I should spend according to my age, how anything lower than the premium cycles he sells is crap, etc. etc. Put me off totally, though in his defense he was typically Punjabi sweetness personified. Too far anyways. Unless to buy a cycle and I get a deal from him that others closer by are not offering.

Got his number from the Fomas website when I was looking at the Fomas Road King Deluxe road bike.

Saw the Schnell road bike yesterday. Very crappy looking brake levers. Otherwise the cycle looked pretty decent. Nice wheels and tyres.

Last edited by ebonho : 18th May 2015 at 12:59.
Old 20th May 2015, 13:55   #2534
BHPian

I had no idea this thread existed ! I'm sharing a few images just for kicks :-)

The Bicycles thread-462263_721401670965_1240153866_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1146485_848073389825_1032662996_n.jpg

The Bicycles thread-468766_737804779005_2021898642_o.jpg

The Bicycles thread-277303_738429477105_831162074_o.jpg
Old 20th May 2015, 14:07   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I had no idea this thread existed ! I'm sharing a few images just for kicks :-)
So EVEN you ride a Bianchi Via Nirone?

The best roadie. Ever.

Kindly refer to : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3683390

So that makes three of us. You. Me. And @Nareshov I think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks